University Police Officer
University Police Officer
Founded in 1898, Northeastern is a global research university and a world leader in experiential learning. The same commitment to connecting with the world drives our use-inspired research enterprise. The university offers a comprehensive range of undergraduate and graduate programs leading to degrees through the doctorate in nine colleges and schools. Our campuses in Charlotte, N.C., San Francisco, Seattle, and Toronto are regional platforms for undergraduate and graduate learning and collaborative research. Northeastern pursues advanced research in security and materials at the Innovation Campus in Burlington, Massachusetts, and in coastal sustainability at the Marine Science Center in Nahant, Massachusetts.
About the opportunity (Department information or repeat posting summary)
The Northeastern University Police Department engages the community through a comprehensive program of police, emergency management, international security, crime prevention, emergency medical, and related public safety services to promote the conditions by which Northeastern University operates as intended throughout the world. The Department operates under the tenants of Procedural Justice and believes in continuous active engagement with members of our community, to prevent crime and increase the quality of life for those we serve.
Click here to see what it means to be a member of the NUPD family.
Click here to see an overview of the University's comprehensive benefits package including educational incentives, comprehensive medical coverage, retirement plans, and fitness/wellness programs.
Responsibilities (Overview of job and responsibilities)
- Maintain public order and enforce University Regulations and Massachusetts General Laws
- Patrol University buildings and grounds to prevent crime and attend to public safety needs
- Respond to emergency and non-emergency calls for service
- Actively engage with the Northeastern University & local community
- Investigate crimes, suspicious activity, or other incidents
- Identify, apprehend, and participate in subsequent court proceedings of criminal offenders
- Provide First Responder level medical assistance
- Facilitate the movement of motor vehicle and pedestrian traffic
- Provide detail coverage for worksites and university events
- Attend required department training in addition to seeking out supplementary training focused on personal and professional development
- Perform other duties as assigned
Qualifications (Mandatory job requirements)
Mandatory Job Requirements
- Applicants must be a graduate of a Full-Time MA State Police Academy or Full-Time MPTC Academy or equivalent
- High School diploma or GED equivalent
- At least 21 years old
- Appointees must be eligible for appointment as a Special State Police Officer in accordance with M.G.L. ch.22 s. 63
- Massachusetts Class A License to Carry
- Massachusetts Driver's License
- Candidates will be required to pass a comprehensive background check, psychological exam, drug test, and pre-employment medical exam
- Applicants who completed an out-of-state recruit academy must apply for a permanent exemption through the Massachusetts State Police. Click here to review requirements.
Work Environment & Physical Demands
- This position is an essential personnel position which requires working in a variety of situations including during holidays, weekends, day/evening/night shifts, forced overtime, and in a state of emergency
- Must be able to: sit or stand for long periods of time; walk, run, climb, bend, stoop and lift weights proportionate with need to perform medical assistance; wear a uniform and equipment weighing approximately 30 pounds; operate a motor vehicle, use a firearm, and employ physical force when necessary
Preferred Qualifications (Ideal job requirements)
- Previous Police experience highly preferred
- Bachelor's degree preferred
To apply, visit https://careers.pageuppeople.com/879/cw/en-us/job/504335