Dean, College of Arts and Sciences
Dean, College of Arts and Sciences
Long Island University
Long Island University (LIU) is undergoing significant transformation towards becoming a nationally recognized, globally engaged research and education enterprise. LIU is looking for an inspirational leader to serve as Dean of the College of Arts and Sciences (CLAS) across the Post and Brooklyn Campuses to provide leadership to achieve our bold ONE LIU vision and connect CLAS to LIU's five research priorities including: One Health, Innovative Cures, Data Analytics/AI, Resilient Communities and the Future of Business. CLAS is committed to preparing students to be well-grounded leaders in science, social sciences and humanities. With two physical locations, in Brooklyn, and in Brookville, NY, LIU CLAS is critical to a core liberal arts curriculum on which to expand research, overall educational and economic development goals from Brooklyn to Long Island in what is fast becoming a digitally-driven job market. CLAS seeks to provide innovative education, research, and career opportunities for a diverse population of students, and to prepare graduates for success in the digital age.
The CLAS at LIU has entered into a major partnership with Dassault Systems and the 3DS Platform in order to usher in a new digital research and education modality. This new partnership will propel several exciting new partnerships, including major initiatives and emerging opportunities in social sciences and psychology spurred by what has been labeled the 4th Industrial Revolution. The CLAS is searching for a visionary academic leader to guide LIU to play a central role in advancing these initiatives, which will position the College at the forefront of liberal arts and sciences education and research.
The Dean will have primary responsibility for education, research, administration, student affairs, budget, and external relations with the College's constituencies. The Dean's primary responsibilities will be to develop and build new, integrated research, education and innovation platforms, assisting LIU bring new students to the LIU ecosystem across the college, while stimulating research-based, global partnerships, increased research funding, and increased enrollment through domestic and international partnerships. The Dean will be responsible for academic programs, faculty development and student affairs. In addition, the Dean will work on fundraising and development, assessment and improvement of all academic programs.
The successful candidate will be an inspirational leader who
possesses demonstrated leadership in education, research or
practice, and substantial administrative experience, strong
scholarly visibility within the academic community, and the
capacity to exercise intellectual leadership at the local, state,
national, and international levels. The successful candidate will
enable and inspire faculty, staff and students toward achievement
of the College's mission and goals.
- A Ph.D. or equivalent degree.
- Distinguished leadership experience with substantial administrative experience and a record of scholarly achievement in teaching or research.
- A demonstrated strong commitment to liberal arts education, and specifically the importance of liberal arts in the coming digital age.
- A track record for advancing diversity.
- Proven success or aptitude for relating positively with students, faculty, alumni, and possibly advisory board or industry representatives, and state and local government officials.
- The ability to build and sustain strong teaching and research relations with partners, promote interests and develop funding strategies for research and academic programs.
- The ability to strategically lead a plan for accreditation and ensure that the College's academic and research programs are positioned to overcome challenges and realize that vision.
- The ability to lead, support, develop, and recruit accomplished and diverse faculty.
- The ability to manage budgets, projects, and allocate resources and prioritize goals.
- Exceptional social and interpersonal skills and written and oral communication skills.
- Credentials that merit appointment at the rank of full professor.
For full application instructions and position description, visit https://jobs.liu.edu/#/job_details/1755