Director of Admissions
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Michigan Technological University is an Equal Opportunity Educational Institution/Equal Opportunity Employer that provides equal opportunity for all, including protected veterans and individuals with disabilities.
If you require any auxiliary aids, services, or other accommodations to apply for employment, or for an interview, at Michigan Technological University, please notify the Human Resources office at 906-487-2280 or firstname.lastname@example.org.Job Description Summary The Director of Admissions is a highly collaborative and innovative leader responsible for guiding and leading the domestic and international undergraduate admissions effort from lead generation to the enrollment of highly motivated students. The Director will demonstrate an organized management style with an ability to think systematically and collaboratively. A key component to this role is providing operational leadership and day-to-day management of admissions functions, policies, and procedures to position Michigan Tech as a top-choice institution of international stature. Essential Duties & Responsibilities (other duties may be assigned)
• Work with the Assistant VP of Enrollment Management to develop
and implement an enrollment management strategy that achieves very
aggressive annual new student enrollment goals.
• Understand and manage the admissions process. Ensure that all applications are expeditiously read and accurate decisions are rendered within our historically swift timelines. Ensure prompt decisions are made accurately and eloquently communicated with prospective students.
• Understand the broader college admissions landscape and keep a strategic focus on global and local changes; and how they might affect Michigan Tech’s policies and processes.
• Foster change management and process improvement in Michigan Tech’s admissions process to further form efficient policies and procedures, with accuracy at the center of that change.
• Understand Michigan Tech’s CRM with great detail and leverage its power on a daily basis to accomplish a variety of goals, including accurate and timely application processing.
• Manage admissions funnel, including maintaining a large inquiry pool through strategic name buys.
• Take general interest in and understand Michigan Tech Admissions’ communication plans and assist admissions operations specialist in executing this large, multi-channel communications operation.
• Manage operating budget.
• Work cross-functionally with the Admissions team to execute multi-channel growth strategies in key target markets.
• Elevate our special events by leveraging CRM to set up queries, communications, registration, and ensure events are seamlessly executed in impressive fashion.
• Maintain an impressive, critical, and unique campus visit experience by effectively motivating our Manager of Campus Visit Experience.
• Lead a highly motivated staff of roughly 15 with four direct reports.
• With an eye toward detail, maintain, execute and improve international application processing procedures.
• Represent the University in a professional and positive manner at recruitment functions such as college fairs, on-campus and regional recruitment programs, and in meetings with students, parents/guardians, families, and other constituents.
• Commit to learning about continuous improvement strategies and applying them to everyday work. Actively engage in University continuous improvement initiatives.
• Apply safety-related knowledge, skills, and practices to everyday work.
• Bachelor’s degree.Required Experience (minimum requirements)
• Five years of progressively responsible experience in college
recruitment, admissions, or closely related field.
• Demonstrated success in undergraduate admissions or closely related activity.
• Two years of supervisory experience of diverse staff members.
• Intermediate understanding of CRM tools.
• Master’s degree.
• Experience recruiting undergraduate students interested in science, technology, engineering, and math (STEM) programs, as well as those interested in undersubscribed programs at a technological university.
• Experience with undergraduate admissions and recruitment practices at a four-year institution.
• Experience processing international undergraduate applications.
• Demonstrated knowledge of the college admissions
• Demonstrated ability to manage large scale operations and events.
• Demonstrated ability to manage an established staff.
• Willingness and enthusiasm toward recruitment travel.
• Demonstrated ability and willingness to work flexible hours, including nights and occasional weekends.
• Proven competence in managing multiple tasks and competing priorities with a high level of attention to detail.
• Possession of a valid driver’s license and demonstrated ability to comply with Michigan Tech vehicle-use requirements.
• Demonstrated ability to use judgment when dealing with confidential information.
• Positive attitude toward innovation and creativity.
• Demonstrated commitment to contribute to a safe work environment.
• Proven successful management of budgets.
• Basic knowledge of financial aid policies and procedures.
• Enthusiasm and the ability to thrive and lead in an atmosphere of constant change.
• Exceptional organizational and planning expertise.
• Fluency in Microsoft Office Suite programs and computerized database/CRM systems.
• Excellent project management, leadership, and organizational skills, including the ability to set priorities, manage simultaneous projects, and complete projects on time.
• Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively across cultural boundaries and work harmoniously with diverse groups of students, faculty, and staff.
• Demonstrated commitment to contribute to a safe work environment.
• Proven history of collaboration with multiple
• Experience recruiting a diverse student population, including women, ethnic minority, and STEM students.
• Demonstrated understanding of the unique recruitment challenges faced by a technological university.
• Demonstrated knowledge of Michigan Technological University and/or university procedures.
• Demonstrated knowledge of Slate.
WORK ENVIRONMENT: The work environment characteristics described
here are representative of those an employee encounters while
performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable
accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities
to perform the essential functions.
• The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
• Demonstrated ability to frequently lift and/or move up to 40 pounds
Employee Safety Overview
Anti-Harassment, Discrimination, Retaliation
Annual Data Security Training
Background Check: Offers of employment are contingent upon and not considered finalized until the required background check has been performed and the results received and assessed.