Assistant VP, Alumni Relations and Advancement Communications
The University of North Texas seeks an experienced, highly motivated, goal-oriented, and energetic leader with a proven track record in the Alumni Relations field. The Assistant VP for Alumni Relations and Advancement Communications will join a division with dynamic and visionary leadership focused on advancing a donor-centric mission and building a vibrant team who will enthusiastically and strategically increase philanthropy and accelerate current momentum to propel the university’s tremendous potential to new heights.
We are seeking a professional with a highly cooperative spirit, strong communication and relationship-building skills, a forward-thinking approach, the ability to relate to multiple constituencies and to represent the university with tact, diplomacy, and passion. The successful candidate will be able to convey enthusiasm for the mission and will, upon employment, work with the Vice President for Advancement to be able to convey detailed knowledge and passion about the universities mission and goals.
The Assistant Vice President for Alumni Relations and Advancement Communications reports to the Vice President for Advancement and provides leadership, strategic planning, direction and support in carrying out the mission of the Alumni Association and University of North Texas (UNT). The Assistant VP works with and supports the Association’s Board of Directors, leads the Association’s staff, and leads the Advancement Communication’s staff in developing and implementing programs that build stronger relationships between UNT and its alumni, supporters and friends. The Assistant VP effectively communicates the interests and concerns of UNT’s alumni and friends to the broader campus community. The Assistant VP serves as a member of the Division of University Advancement leadership team, and as such is active in feeding the donor pipeline by targeting alumni and friends with capacity for giving, and engaging the appropriate advancement staff to cultivate those relationships.
- The AVP leads the implementation and evaluation of the strategic plan for the Alumni Relations and Advancement Communications offices, with the aim to significantly increase engagement and participation in support of the University.
- Must be a strong mentor for the staff, as well as a source of inspiration with creative ideas and resources to move the team forward. Along with providing structure and creating a sense of urgency around the accomplishment of key objectives and projects related to the strategic goals.
- The AVP ensures that the communication efforts, services, events, and outreach for university development are conducted at a high level of efficiency and effectiveness.
- Provides strong leadership and direction to the Alumni Association Board of Directors, gaining their input and viewpoint to help guide actions, programs/services that most effectively attract and engage our alumni.
- The AVP will provide regular support to the Board in engaging them to help develop, advance and promote programs and services of the University and the Alumni Association on behalf of alumni.
- The AVP will attend numerous events related to alumni and the University. They will cultivate strong relationships with key alumni, the Chapter leaders and the Board. They will also build strong relationships within University and local community while representing the University’s interest.
- They will recognize that UNT students are prospective members and require distinctive outreach and engagement, as do generational groups and ethnically diverse populations.
Bachelor’s Degree and ten years of professional experience in fundraising, donor relations, public relations, or sales; or any equivalent combination of education, training, and experience.
- Extensive knowledge of philanthropy and fundraising
• Demonstrated experience in establishing and maintaining effective professional relationships with internal and external constituents.
• Ability to plan, organize, develop and execute strategies.
• Ability to travel and work evenings and weekends as necessary.
• Ability to attend numerous off site events and meetings.
• Ability to mentor and coach colleagues or direct reports.
• Ability to establish and maintain cordial, productive, and professional working relationships with internal and external stakeholders.
• Ability to manage time, personnel, financial, and physical resources effectively.
• Exceptional communications skills.
• Ability to master University policies and procedures and apply these in specific situations.
• Demonstrated experience working closely with diverse stakeholders, internal and external partners.
• Ability to exercise resourcefulness and good judgment.
• Ability to manage multiple streams of work.
• Demonstrated excellent analytical skills, problem solving ability and strong critical thinking skills.
The ideal candidate would have previous proven successful management experience in an alumni organization as the Executive Director, Department Director, or similar where the organization was at least similar in size and structure of the UNT Alumni Association.
The University of North Texas System and its component institutions are committed to equal opportunity and comply with all applicable federal and state laws regarding nondiscrimination and affirmative action. The University of North Texas System and its component institutions do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, religion, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, or veteran status in its application and admission processes, educational programs and activities, and employment practices.