Assistant Director, Student Life Experience (Student Employment) #605243
Program Development, Management, and Training (60%)
- Direct and oversee the Student Employment program within NAU Career Development, prioritizing tasks and activities and allocating available resources to best achieve the program’s goals and objectives.
- Develop and articulate an NAU-wide Student Employment philosophy that meets the needs of NAU’s student population and effectively prepares them for the realities of the 21st century workforce; develop or oversee the development of initiatives grounded in this philosophy.
- Advise and provide guidelines, tools, and templates to deans, directors, department heads, and supervisors to ensure that student employees NAU-wide have a consistent, compliant employment experience that prepares them for life after graduation; ensure that policies, processes, and procedures align to the strategic goals of the university.
- Design, develop, implement, and evaluate Student Employment processes, practices, tools, and templates NAU-wide in the following key areas:
- Recruitment, Selection, and Onboarding
- Maximize vehicles to connect students with employment opportunities through strategic relationships, Handshake, the Part Time Job Fair(s), and other avenues.
- Demonstrate a commitment to Diversity and NAU's Affirmative Action Plan; ensure that opportunities are equally accessible to all students.
- Provide guidelines for successful selection and onboarding of student employees.
- In partnership with Financial Aid, promote the benefits of hiring Federal Work Study Students, and provide opportunities for FWS-eligible students and departments to connect.
- Training and Professional Development
- Establish and maintain guidelines to ensure compliance with all federal, state, local, university, and departmental regulations.
- Provide and/or oversee training that helps students identify the career readiness competencies, functional, and transferable skills gained through Student Employment and articulate these skills on their resume and during the internship or job search process.
- Provide and/or oversee training for on-campus employers, supervisors, and student employees in, but not limited to, employee developmental goal setting; annual performance appraisals; and development of conflict resolution plans.
- Performance Management
- Provide tools and templates to facilitate developmental conversations between supervisors and student employees.
- In partnership with Human Resources implement and maintain a performance appraisal framework for student employees.
- In partnership with Human Resources implement and maintain a conflict resolution framework for student employees and their supervisors.
- Recognition and Awards
- Establish guidelines for recognition of student employees and their supervisors, including the annual Student Employee of the Year (SEOTY) Award, both individual and team, and Supervisor of the Year (SOTY) Award.
- Provide oversight for award nomination collection, selection of winner(s) by committee, procurement of awards, and celebration ceremony/delivery of awards to winner(s).
- In partnership with Human Resources and University Administration oversee role category descriptions and salary levels to ensure consistent classification and compensation of student employees.
- Subject Matter Expert on Federal, State, Local, and NAU/on-campus minimum wage standards as well as forecasting, analysis, and impact of any minimum wage changes to campus employment recruitment & retention
- Ensure that departments understand requirements for non-salaried compensation (e.g., housing, stipends).
- Implement goals and objectives for Student Employment and evaluate the effectiveness of specific projects or initiatives based on completion of these goals.
- Manage specific projects throughout the project lifecycle from conceptualization through development, implementation, and assessment.
- Plan, implement, partner and/or oversee, Student Employment & Career Development events such as co-curricular, classroom, college, and department trainings as well as in-person, hybrid, and online job fairs.
- Work with NAU Marketing and Student Affairs Communications to develop marketing campaigns/collateral, promote events, and effectively maintain the NAU Career/Student Employment brand.
- Research, benchmark, and adapt leading/best practices from other universities and institutions.
Career Advising and Education (20%)
- Advise individual students on resume/cover letter development, interview skills, and job search strategies as they relate to Student Employment.
- Develop or oversee the development of workshops and other training events of varying sizes on a variety of career readiness topics including networking, resumes/cover letters, interview skills, and job search strategies related to Student Employment.
University Partnerships and Department, Division, and University Service (10%)
- Develop and nurture relationships within the university with departments/stakeholders who can be valuable partners to NAU's Student Employment program and Career Development Department.
- Serve as Career Development Website manager working with the Career Development Director in oversight and delegation of department website updates and information management
- Serve on department, division, and/or university-wide committees in support of the mission of each area and Northern Arizona University.
Team Management and Development (10%)
- Manage the department in the absence of the Director.
- Supervise, either directly or indirectly, all staff within the Student Employment Program, to include classified staff, graduate assistants, graduate interns, and student employees. Set performance goals, provide coaching and feedback, and assess performance through annual appraisals.
- Assign staff to projects based on their strengths, interests, skill sets, and professional/personal growth needs. Balance workload and assignments and identify professional development opportunities for skill building.
- Set objectives for projects and assignments, provide coaching, guidance, and feedback through project/assignment lifecycle, and review and approve work products.
- Recommend and/or initiate actions involving discipline, promotion, transfer and motivation of employees.
- Provide input into budgeting process and ensure that projects are executed within established budget.
- Represent Student Employment at NAU, regionally, and beyond at conferences and other professional development events.
- Bachelors degree.
- 2+ years teaching, counseling, or advising college students or young professionals on career development topics.
- 2+ years experience supervising undergraduate and/or graduate student employees.
- Masters degree in related field (Students Affairs, Business, Organizational Leadership, Human Resources, Education, or other related field.
- 2+ years experience in human resources, training and development, or organizational development.
- 2+ years experience working in a university career development office.
- 2+ years experience developing and facilitating professional development programs for student employees.
- 2+ years program development and implementation in a higher education, non-profit, or corporate environment.
- Experience developing and nurturing stakeholder relationships across a large, diverse organization.
- Experience assessing programs utilizing both quantitative and qualitative methods.
How to Apply
To apply for this position, please click on the "Apply" button on this page. You must submit your application by clicking on the "Submit" button by midnight of the application deadline. If you need assistance completing your application there are instructions available on the Human Resources website or in person in the Human Resources Department located in Building 91 on the NAU Campus - on the corner of Beaver and DuPont Streets.
If you are an individual with a disability and need reasonable accommodation to participate in the hiring process please contact the Office of Equity and Access at: 928-523-3312/TDD - 928-523-1006 or PO Box 4083, Flagstaff AZ 86011.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Northern Arizona University is a committed Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Institution. Women, minorities, veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply. NAU is responsive to the needs of dual career couples.
More searches like this
- Administrative Administrative Commensurate with Experience Full Time jobs in Flagstaff
- Student Affairs Administrative Commensurate with Experience Full Time jobs in Flagstaff
- Career Services Administrative Commensurate with Experience Full Time jobs in Flagstaff
- Executive Administrative Commensurate with Experience Full Time jobs in Flagstaff
- Executive Directors Administrative Commensurate with Experience Full Time jobs in Flagstaff