Security Assistant - Part Time
SECURITY ASSISTANT - PART TIME
MALCOLM X COLLEGE
The Office of Safety and Security (OSS) supports the academic environment by enhancing the quality of life at all City Colleges’ campuses, providing a safe and secure environment that is conducive to learning, and consistent with the educational goals of the City Colleges of Chicago. Crime prevention and safety throughout the campus community is the primary focus of the Security Operations Department within OSS. Security Officers and related staff provide a range of security services, patrolling campus facilities and grounds, responding to emergency and non-emergency calls for service, as well as other operational aspects of security and safety at the District’s college campuses as well as the District Office.Under supervision, and reporting to the Director or Assistant Director of Security, patrols and monitors buildings, grounds and other areas at college campuses or at the District Office to ensure the safety and security of students, faculty, staff and the general public.
These are unarmed positions that support Security Officers and the activities of the OSS.
- Provides a uniformed presence at an assigned college or the District Office, monitoring access and entry to buildings for the safety and security of students, employees and the general public.
- Patrols on foot and in a vehicle to provide security and watch for unusual or suspicious activities
- Monitors activities in campus buildings and surrounding grounds to guard against crime, theft and vandalism.
- Notifies supervisor and Security Officers on duty of disturbances and/or irregularities.
- Contacts emergency responders such as police, fire, and/or ambulance personnel, as required.
- Issues student identification cards, verifying student information and uses an ID Badging system with printer to create student identification cards.
- Provides security escort services as needed to and from buildings and parking areas on campus.
- Responds to service calls and alarms and takes appropriate actions.
- Informs and warns violators of any City Colleges of Chicago policy violations as appropriate.
- Provides public assistance to students, faculty and the general public, providing information such as directions, office locations, and general campus information.
- Operates two-way radio equipment to maintain communications with supervisors and other security personnel.
- Updates operations and incident logs to record activities during assigned shift.
- Assists Security Officers in carrying out security and safety duties as directed.
- Associate’s Degree or higher from an accredited college in criminal justice preferred
- Completion of a high school diploma required
- Permanent Employee Registration Card (PERC), as issued by the Illinois Department of Financial and Professional Regulation (IDFPR) preferred
- Valid State of Illinois driver’s license is required
- Must pass a criminal background check
- Knowledge of District’s security and safety procedures and practices
- Knowledge of local and state law enforcement agencies
- Knowledge of basic computer operations relation to ID badging system operation
- Good interpersonal and verbal communication skills
- Good observation skills
- Ability to work within a culturally diverse environment
- Ability to exercise tact, diplomacy and persuasiveness in handling situations
- Ability to articulate verbally in a clear and distinct manner during emergency and non-emergency situations
We are an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer.
Thank you for your interest in City Colleges of Chicago!