Colleges of Chicago (CCC), the largest community college system in Illinois, is made up of seven colleges and five satellite sites, providing more than 70,000 students each year access to a quality, affordable education.
Under general supervision, a Senior Accountant performs professional accounting duties at the fully functional, senior level, and is characteristically assigned accounting duties and assignments of a moderate to more complex nature requiring a broader scope of experience across several areas of accounting.
At the fully functional level, a Senior Accountant demonstrates a high level of accounting skills, takes ownership of his/her own work product, exercises decision-making and independent judgement, and is knowledgeable of current accounting technology and programs.
Senior Accountant positions typically report to either a Grant Accounting or a General Accounting Supervisor, and perform accounting work primarily within their assigned area. Based on operational needs, Senior Accountant positions may perform work in more than one area of accounting. Perform related duties as required.
- Records and reviews journal entries and supporting documentation for recording expenditures, revenue, reclassifications and budget transfers from sub ledgers into general ledger on a timely basis.
- Reviews financial statements and documents to ensure accuracy and proper allocation to accounts as well as complying with approved contract and funding guidelines.
- Reviews and ensures accounting transactions are compliant with regulations and policies, by interpreting and applying Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP), Illinois Community College Board (ICCB), Fiscal Manual, OMB Circulars, and grant agreements.
- Prepares and/or records disbursement requests.
- Monitors account balances to ensure availability of funds.
- Prepares monthly account analysis and reconciliation of assigned general ledger or grant accounts to ensure proper balances are reported.
- Responsible for identifying, investigating, and reporting all discrepancies and working with appropriate personnel to ensure all reconciling items clear in a timely manner and corrections are recorded as required.
- Assists in the month end and annual financial audit by compiling fiscal data to be reviewed by management and external auditors and included in the Comprehensive Annual Financial Report as well as other reports as required by government agencies, GFOA, foundation, etc.
- Prepares various analyses, ad-hoc reports, and reconciliations upon request.
- Reviews work and assists in the training of new staff of Accountants on department’s work operations, policies, and procedures.
Report to: Grant Accounting or General Accounting Supervisor
Direct Supervision: None
Education, Training and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university in Accounting
- Three to five years of professional accounting experience
- Demonstrated knowledge and understanding of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP), Governmental Accounting Standards Board (GASB) statements, audit techniques and financial report preparation.
- Demonstrated knowledge of Endowment Accounting and Financial Accounting Statements 116 and 117 preferred.
- Proficient in the use of Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
Knowledge, Skills and Ability
- Good knowledge of District’s accounting procedures and practices
- Knowledge of current and applicable accounting software and spreadsheet applications
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Strong analytical and accounting skills
- Strong critical thinking and decision-making skills
- Ability to work within a culturally diverse environment
- Ability to work independently as well as lead project teams
- Ability to prioritize and effectively handle multiple assignments and projects in a deadline driven environment, and deliver with a high degree of quality on a consistent basis
- Ability to prepare comprehensive financial reports
Chicago residency is required for all full-time employees within 6 months of hire.
We are an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer.
Thank you for your interest in City Colleges of Chicago.
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Not specified Full Time jobs in Chicago
- Business & Management Not specified Full Time jobs in Chicago
- Accounting & Finance Not specified Full Time jobs in Chicago
- Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Chicago
- Business & Administrative Affairs Not specified Full Time jobs in Chicago