Assistant Professor of Art Education
Southern Utah University is an accredited member of the National Association of Schools of Art and Design and seeks applicants for a tenure-track position of Assistant Professor of Art Education within the Department of Art and Design to teach courses in art education theory and practice, museum studies, and/or art foundation studio courses. Courses may be scheduled face-to-face or online. The position requires close collaboration with the faculty and staff of the College of Education and the Southern Utah Museum of Art. The position is full-time, 9-month, tenure-track. The desired start date is August 16, 2021.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Teach approximately 6 undergraduate-level courses a year in art for elementary teachers, secondary art teaching methods, education in a museum environment, and art foundations such as drawing or two dimensional design.
Supervise student teaching program.
Workload will be 24 instructional credit hours a year. Flexibility in teaching assignment is necessary due to managing student teachers and courses requiring individual instruction.
Student academic advising.
Advise Elementary Art Students Seeking K-5 Art Endorsement and Secondary Art Students seeking Middle and High School Teaching Licensure, in concert with Academic and Education Advisors.
Event Coordination in Art Education (Evening for Educators, Art Insights, Conferences, Workshops, etc.)
- Participate in service, activities, and projects for the Department of Art and Design.
Education and Experience Requirements:
- Ph.D., Ed.D., or M.F.A. as terminal degree with at least one degree in Art Education
- Art Teaching Experience at the Middle and/or High School Level (public, private, charter schools)
- History of teaching, or skills to teach:
- Art for Elementary Teachers
- Secondary Art Teaching Methods
- Student Teaching Supervision
In accordance with Utah State Code 53B-1-110, appointment to this position is contingent upon the successful passing of a background check.
Interest in being Art Educator-in-Residence at the Southern Utah Museum of Art (training graduate and undergraduate students and community volunteers to lead school tours and hands-on art activities, and docent tours of exhibitions)
Arts Administration Experience in Art Center or Art Museum Management
History of, or Skills to Teach:
Gallery & Museum Practices
- Education in a Museum Environment
Art Internship (Elementary Art, Southern Utah Museum of Art, other regional arts venues)
Ability to Advise Museum Studies Minor Students
A History of Successful Short- and Long-Term Collaborations with Partner Venues on a State and Regional Level
Experience Working with Community Leaders to Embed Arts Education throughout the Community
Interest or Experience Working with State and National Art Education Associations
Grant Writing Skills
Interested in Interdisciplinary Programs and Activities Across Campus, including STEAM Initiatives
Ability for Curriculum Design and Development
Documents Needed to Apply:
- Cover Letter
- Unofficial Transcripts
- Statement of Teaching Philosophy
- Student Evaluations
- Examples of Student Work
- Contact information for 3 professional references
Southern Utah University is committed to maintaining a community which recognizes and values the worth and dignity of every person; fosters tolerance, understanding, and mutual respect among its members; and encourages individual commitment to personal responsibilities in equal measure with personal rights. In pursuit of its goal of academic excellence, the University seeks to develop and nurture diversity. The University believes that diversity among its many members strengthens the institution, stimulates creativity, promotes the exchange of ideas, and enriches campus life.
Southern Utah University does not discriminate against any member of the University community on the basis of race, religion, color, sex, age, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability status, veteran status, pregnancy, pregnancy-related condition, genetic information, or other bases protected by applicable law in employment, treatment, admission, access to educational programs and activities, or other University benefits or services.
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Tenured/Tenured Track Competitive Full Time jobs in Cedar City
- Arts Tenured/Tenured Track Competitive Full Time jobs in Cedar City
- Art Tenured/Tenured Track Competitive Full Time jobs in Cedar City
- Education Tenured/Tenured Track Competitive Full Time jobs in Cedar City
- Other Education Tenured/Tenured Track Competitive Full Time jobs in Cedar City