Department Chair - Occupational Therapy Program (Oakland Campus)
The Occupational Therapy Department at Samuel Merritt University invites applications for the position of Department Chair. This appointment includes both administrative and teaching functions. The Samuel Merritt University Occupational Therapy Department offers both an entry level doctoral degree and entry level master degree. The department continues a twenty-three-year tradition of high academic standards and deep commitment to the students that we prepare to be successful healthcare professionals.
The successful applicant will be an individual who balances visionary leadership of the department with a sensitive and respectful appreciation of the departmental faculty and staff. The chairperson reports directly to the Assistant Academic Vice President.
Samuel Merritt University (SMU) delivers a high-quality health sciences education with a focus on compassion and community engagement. Our students become skilled and caring professionals motivated to improve health outcomes and increase access to care.
SMU is an integral part of patient care in Northern California. We’re one of the largest educators of registered nurses in California, and many of the physical and occupational therapists, physician assistants, and podiatric physicians who provide care in the region are graduates of our programs. SMU is affiliated with Sutter Health, a not-for-profit network providing comprehensive health care in more than 100 Northern California communities.
The main campus of the University, located in Oakland, CA, is across the Bay from San Francisco. Samuel Merritt University has four locations – Fresno, Oakland, Sacramento, and San Mateo. This job will be located at our Oakland campus.
- An earned post professional doctorate
- California license eligible
- A minimum of 8 years of documented experience in the field of occupational therapy including clinical practice as an occupational therapist.
- Administrative experience including, but not limited to, program planning and implementation, personnel management, evaluation, and budgeting.
- Scholarship (e.g., scholarship of application, teaching and learning).
- Understanding of the role of the occupational therapy assistant.
- At least 3 years of experience in a full-time academic appointment with teaching responsibilities at the post-baccalaureate level.
Additionally we desire:
- Strong abilities in marketing and promotion
- Strong inter-professional skills with peers and administration
- Experience with the accreditation process and reports for OT academic programs
For the full job description and to apply, please visit: https://sutterhealth.taleo.net/careersection/2/jobdetail.ftl?job=SMU-2017164&lang=en
The University has an institution-wide commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion. We strive to build a welcoming and supportive campus environment, and acknowledge that diversity is an educational imperative to achieve excellence.