Principal Data Engineer
At the University of Colorado we transform lives and grow ideas by developing breakthrough science, art, culture, literature, and technology. The University of Colorado seeks a creative and experienced data engineer to help drive innovation, support students, and cultivate research. The principal data engineer is the engineering and thought leader around the structure of our enterprise data warehouse. In this role you will develop digital models of the student experience through integrating across all of the digital interactions that craft the college experience. You understand the principles of data warehousing and Master Data Management, but you’re not bound by convention. As a research we encourage applications from engineers looking to develop new ways of thinking and using data improve our community of 40,000+ people. We seek to develop novel, measurable, holistic, and flexible data models to drive innovations on campus.
What we offer. Our data landscape is sophisticated. Dozens of transactional systems, a cloud based (AWS) data lake, an outstanding data science team, and collaborators all over the institution. We’re looking for an experienced engineer whose social skills are as strong as their data skills.
The University of Colorado Boulder is committed to building a culturally diverse community of faculty, staff, and students dedicated to contributing to an inclusive campus environment. We are an Equal Opportunity employer, including veterans and individuals with disabilities.
Who We Are
The Office of Data Analytics (ODA) houses the Institutional Research, Reporting & Analytics, and Faculty Information System groups, which specialize in data collection, analysis and visualization. Some offerings to campus include department- and campus-level surveys, faculty course questionnaires and additional consulting projects that address data analysis and exploration needs for an individual classroom to larger campus initiatives. ODA also led efforts to build and currently manages the university’s Data Lake, which brings many data sources across campus into one location for deeper, significant analysis. The ODA mission is to cultivate an understanding of institutional knowledge. This is done by redefining data into actionable intelligence; aiding the decision making processes throughout the university.
What Your Key Responsibilities Will Be
- Craft innovative data products by creating, maintaining, and extending reusable data models across multiple domains at the University.
- Contribute to the development of data driven applications, visualizations, and business processes by partnering with SMEs and data scientists from across the organization.
- Areas of focuses include but are not limited to data from student systems, online learning, HR systems, finance/grants systems, and University-wide CRM systems.
- Migrate legacy data products to new pipelines.
- Mentor campus community on the best way to use data and data systems for real-time reporting and data consuming applications and analyses.
- Design data access layer specifications and communicate design for implementation.
What We Can Offer
The hiring pay range for this position is $115,000 to $140,000, relocation is available.
The University of Colorado offers excellent benefits , including medical, dental, retirement, paid time off, tuition benefit and ECO Pass. The University of Colorado Boulder is one of the largest employers in Boulder County and offers an inspiring higher education environment. Learn more about the University of Colorado Boulder .
Be Ambitious. Be Resourceful. Be Boulder.
What We Require
- Expert level knowledge of SQL.
- Expert level knowledge of data modeling and the design of analytics/reporting focused data systems.
- Demonstrated knowledge of data storage technologies.
- Proficiency in 1 or more programming/scripting language.
What You Will Need
- Deep understanding of data modeling and data warehousing concepts.
- Entrepreneurial: This is a new position that demands vision, collaboration skills, and an entrepreneurial attitude. Passion about creating something new.
- Experience working with, crafting, or managing large collections of institutional data.
- Understanding of the Amazon (AWS) cloud data ecosystem.
- Familiarity with Version Control (git).
What We Would Like You To Have
- Familiarity with the design and implementation of APIs including graph APIs.
- Knowledge of SAS.
- Experience as both a consumer and producer of data resources.
- Ability to demonstrate experience making data products that are used by wide audience.
- Demonstrate a strong understanding of and experience with cloud data infrastructure and its use in large organizations.
To apply, please submit the following materials:
- A current resume.
- A cover letter that specifically addresses how your background and experience align with the requirements, qualifications, and responsibilities of the position.
You will not be asked to upload references at this time.
Please apply by 3/15/2021 for consideration.
Note: Application materials will not be accepted via email. For consideration, applications must be submitted through CU Boulder Jobs .
Posting Contact Information
Posting Contact Name: Boulder Campus Human Resources
Posting Contact Email: Recruiting@colorado.edu