Asst Director, Multicultural & Affinity Engagement (14463)
Reporting to the Director of Multicultural and Affinity Engagement, in the Office of Development and Alumni Relations, the Assistant Director of Multicultural and Affinity Engagement (AD) will work in collaboration with the Director to develop goals, set strategies, and create volunteer structures for the management of new and existing affinity groups designed to meet organizational need and alumni interest. In concert with the Director, the AD will maximize current affinity relationships across campus and continue cross-divisional outreach designed to establish partnerships. Specifically, the AD will work closely with Campus Life in an effort to ensure that the alumni experience for underrepresented alumni groups both advances institutional objectives and ensures a meaningful engagement experience for alumni.
- Conceptualize, plan, and implement comprehensive programs designed to engage a diverse group of AU alumni based on both alumni interest and institutional focus. This includes volunteer recruitment, training and stewardship for pertinent programs, event and program management related to these affinity areas, and the administrative and marketing responsibilities for these programs. Collaborate with volunteers to plan and coordinate alumni and student-alumni events. Assess and market existing programs/events, and seek out possibilities for additional programs in partnership with other initiatives. Management of existing groups includes (but is not limited to) the Veterans Alumni Network; Gospel Choir Network; Eagles Nest Alumni Network; Asian Pacific Islander Alumni Network (APIAN); Eagle Alumni Board; Pride Alumni Alliance; and the Honors and Scholars Network.
- Establish and maintain collaborative working relationships with University offices, particularly with Campus Life, Admissions, the central events staff, and the President’s Office, in an effort to partner with these offices on new and existing initiatives related to students and alumni, and in an effort to enhance coding and data management of these groups in CRM Advance.
- Establish and maintain relationships with appropriate student and alumni groups, including (but not limited to), the Student Government Association, the Black Student Union and AU’s NAACP chapter, LASO, and others as applicable. Determine appropriate opportunities for alumni engagement through the support of student touchpoints and initiatives, and implement these volunteer opportunities.
- Write, edit, and organize various communication mediums, including web content; direct mailings, when applicable; Alumni Update newsletter content; Facebook, LinkedIn, Twitter, and other relevant social media outlets; and any other communication vehicles geared towards affinity engagement opportunities. Foster professional knowledge and skills through networking with those who lead similar programs at other universities, attending applicable seminars/workshops and maintaining a current awareness of best practices.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Director of Multicultural and Affinity Engagement to enhance the mission and goals of OAR and DAR.
- This position reports directly to the Director of Multicultural and Affinity Engagement. This position may supervise student and/or part-time staff.
- Number of Personnel Directly Supervised: May supervise one student worker each semester.
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work
- Full time
Required Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree or the equivalent in training or
- A minimum of 3 - 5 years of successful experience in alumni or
donor relations for educational institutions or non-profit
- Relevant graduate degree can substitute in part for
- At least one-year of experience in volunteer management
- Ability to independently formulate long-range objectives, and
manage varied programs and services
- Ability to set priorities, meet deadlines and work
- Demonstrated organizational and decision-making skills with
- Mature and professional attitude, customer/client focus; highly
developed interpersonal skills; energetic and detail oriented
- Clear, concise reporting and writing style
- Computer literacy, particularly MS Word and Excel
Additional Eligibility Qualifications
- Availability to work some nights and weekends, as well as to travel, regionally and internationally as required
- Hiring offers for this position are contingent on successful completion of a background check
- Click here to learn about American University's unique benefit options
Current American University Employees:
If you are a current full-time or part-time staff member at American University, please log intoAsuccessfulU through themyAU portal . Once in AsuccessfulU, please select the Careers tile which will take you to our internal career page.
For more information or assistance with the American University careers site, email email@example.com .
American University is an equal opportunity, affirmative action institution that operates in compliance with applicable laws and regulations. The university does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, sex (including pregnancy), age, sexual orientation, disability, marital status, personal appearance, gender identity and expression, family responsibilities, political affiliation, source of income, veteran status, an individual’s genetic information or any other bases under federal or local laws (collectively "Protected Bases") in its programs and activities.
Nearest Major Market: Washington DC
More searches like this
- Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Washington D.C.
- Business & Administrative Affairs Not specified Full Time jobs in Washington D.C.
- Community Relations & Institutional Outreach Not specified Full Time jobs in Washington D.C.
- Development & Advancement Not specified Full Time jobs in Washington D.C.
- Alumni Affairs Not specified Full Time jobs in Washington D.C.