Regional Specialized Extension Agent III – Family and Consumer Sciences/Food Systems (70774)
The Institute of Food and Agricultural Sciences is committed to creating an environment that affirms diversity across a variety of dimensions, including ability, class, ethnicity/race, gender identity and expression. We particularly welcome applicants who can contribute to such an environment through their scholarship, teaching, mentoring, and professional service. We strongly encourage historically underrepresented groups to apply.
If an accommodation due to a disability is needed to apply for this position, please call 352-392-2477 or the Florida Relay System at 800-955-8771 (TDD) or visit Accessibility at UF .
The Univ. of Florida (UF) is a Land Grant institution with core values of unique purpose, excellence, integrity, collaboration and partnership, lifelong learning, diversity, responsiveness, innovation, communication, and global reach. IFAS employs more than 2,000 faculty and staff statewide. IFAS Extension employs 375 Extension Agents and has an office in each of Florida’s 67 counties.
Our mission in the Florida Cooperative Extension Service is to partner with communities to provide quality, relevant education and research-based expertise to foster healthy people, a healthy environment, and a healthy economy. We are the resource that helps educate Floridians to address issues related to agriculture, horticulture, natural resources, youth development, families and communities.
We hire the best. Diverse views and experience make us strong. We are looking for candidates with both academic and people skills who work well in teams, honor their commitments, innovate in a rapidly changing world, and will use marketing techniques that will reach diverse populations to ensure diversity, inclusion, and equity. Working for Florida Cooperative Extension will allow you to make a positive impact in your community as you help shape future generations, growing your career while earning a competitive salary and great benefits.
As a Regional Specialized Extension Agent (RSA), you will work jointly for UF/IFAS Extension and St. Johns County. We are looking for an individual with skills in human nutrition, food safety, healthy lifestyles, and financial management who will implement procedures, strategies, and educational programs that will facilitate success of diverse populations. You will work at the crossroads of food systems, health, and well-being. “Food systems” in the context of this position includes access to local, safe, and healthy foods, resource management, conservation of natural resources and sustainable living, and social and physical well-being. It also encompasses community food initiatives, community-supported agriculture, farm to consumer efforts, consumer education of communities, farmers markets, and agri-tourism.
You will be responsible for a program that provides education to individuals and families to adopt healthy eating habits and lifestyle behaviors that can prevent or delay the onset of chronic diseases like heart disease, hypertension, diabetes, osteoporosis and cancer. In addition, you will program in financial literacy for families and individuals. Your office will be located at the UF/IFAS St. Johns County Extension Office (Agricultural Center) in St. Augustine.
What you will do:
- Support Family and Consumer Sciences (FCS) county faculty in the Central Extension District as a leader and mentor in your area of expertise to ensure the quality of county and district FCS programs.
- Grow professional development opportunities for county faculty.
- Lead compliance efforts with federal, state, county, and UF regulations in collaboration with County Extension Directors and county faculty.
- Provide assistance for relevant curriculum development with state specialists and participate in relevant proposals/projects at the state level.
- Design, implement, evaluate, and report on community-based educational programs focusing on human nutrition, wellness, and food systems. These programs should provide public education to youth and adults to empower individuals and families to build healthy lives and achieve social and economic success.
- Collaborate with faculty colleagues and community leaders to facilitate and coordinate partnerships with local and state agencies, elected officials, and communities in developing urban/rural and community economic opportunities to enhance local and regional food systems.
- Extend educational training through volunteer systems.
- Establish an advisory committee of citizens and professionals to analyze the county situation, identify priority issues, and assist with program design to reach target clientele.
- Assist in community food initiatives, community supported agriculture, farm to consumer efforts, farmers markets, and agri-tourism opportunities.
- Become a certified and active ServSafe instructor.
- Serve as a contributing team member in the Datil Pepper Fall Festival.
- Devote at least 5% of your effort to 4-H Youth Development in your areas of expertise.
- Use traditional and innovative (e.g., web-based) educational methods to teach target audiences new practices, procedures, techniques, and skills that will result in positive behavior or practice change with time.
- Seek grants, contracts, or other funding and partnership opportunities to support extension programs.
- Carry out other duties as outlined by the County Extension Director and the District Extension Director.
Employment is contingent on the results of a national background screening.
In the event of an emergency, all Extension Office employees are considered essential personnel who may be required to perform alternate duties.
Extension is a partnership between state, federal, and county governments to provide scientific knowledge and expertise to the public. As such, all partners are involved in the supervision of the office and contribute to the salary and support resources. The primary goal of Extension is to disseminate the latest knowledge and applicable technologies in agriculture, human and natural resources, and the life sciences in order to sustain and enhance the quality of human life. The UF/IFAS mission is accomplished through Extension faculty members, scientists, educators, administrative staff, and volunteers working cohesively throughout Florida’s 67 counties.
Candidates will be reviewed as applications are received, but please be aware that interviews might not be scheduled until 4 to 6 weeks after the position closing date. Are you a good match? Apply today!
What you will bring (required):
- An earned master’s degree from an accredited college or university in family and consumer sciences, human nutrition, education and leadership, or a closely-related field.
- At least 10 years of professional experience in family and consumer sciences extension.
- A reputation as a leader in your field.
- Strong oral and written interpersonal, communication, and leadership skills.
- Ability to prioritize, multi-task, and balance diverse responsibilities.
- A commitment to customer service and inclusion, diversity, equity, and access (IDEA) guidelines of UF/IFAS Extension.
- Ability to possess (or be able to obtain) a Florida driver’s license.
- Flexibility with working hours; willingness to work irregular hours including evenings, weekends, and overnight travel, as well as travel with a county or university-assigned vehicle, or a personal vehicle (mileage reimbursement provided).
- Ability to comply with the Memorandum of Understanding between St. Johns County Government and the University of Florida, for the county portion of this position.
What you will bring (preferred):
- Professional experience and leadership in areas related to family and consumer sciences or food systems.
- Practical experience in teamwork, leadership skills, and problem solving.
- Experience using a variety of educational methods including technology-enhanced and technology-based instruction to reach diverse audiences.
- Experience obtaining extramural funding.
- Excellent organizational skills and good record-keeping techniques.
Apply at http://apply.interfolio.com/84541 by 11:59 p.m. (Eastern) of the posting end date, and attach:
- Cover letter that describes how your experience and qualifications have prepared you for this position
- Résumé or Curriculum vitae
- Unofficial copies of all transcripts and/or coursework of your academic degrees
The following documents are also required and may either be submitted through the above link at the time of application, or sent separately to our office (below).
- Current and Previous Employment Form (located at https://hr.ifas.ufl.edu/resources/form-index/current-and-previous-employment-form/ ).
- A minimum of 3 reference rating forms (located at http://hr.ifas.ufl.edu/assets/pdf/forms/ref_form.pdf ) from your professional/academic references. Reference forms will be kept on file for 1 year and will be automatically used with any of our extension agent positions you apply for during that time.
Reference rating forms and unofficial transcripts not submitted at the time of application should be submitted/postmarked by the next business day after the position’s closing date. They may be submitted to:
Ms. Dana LeCuyer
UF IFAS Human Resources
Faculty Recruitment and Hiring
P O Box 110281
Gainesville, FL 32611-0281
Fax: (352) 392-3226
Selected candidate will be required to provide an official transcript to the hiring department upon hire. A transcript will not be considered “official” if a designation of “Issued to Student” is visible. Degrees earned from an education institution outside of the United States are required to be evaluated by a professional credentialing service provider approved by National Association of Credential Evaluation Services (NACES) .
If an accommodation due to a disability is needed to apply for this position, please call 352-392-2477 or the Florida Relay System at 800-955-8771 (TDD).
Hiring is contingent upon eligibility to work in the US. Searches are conducted in accordance with Florida’s Sunshine Law.
The University of Florida is an Equal Opportunity Institution dedicated to building a broadly diverse and inclusive faculty and staff. The University and greater Gainesville community enjoy a diversity of cultural events, restaurants, year-round outdoor recreational activities, and social opportunities.
The University of Florida is committed to non-discrimination with respect to race, creed, color, religion, age, disability, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, marital status, national origin, political opinions or affiliations, genetic information and veteran status in all aspects of employment including recruitment, hiring, promotions, transfers, discipline, terminations, wage and salary administration, benefits, and training.
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Not specified Full Time jobs in Saint Augustine
- Science, Technology & Mathematics Not specified Full Time jobs in Saint Augustine
- Agriculture & Animal Sciences Not specified Full Time jobs in Saint Augustine
- Social & Behavioral Sciences Not specified Full Time jobs in Saint Augustine
- Home Economics & Consumer Sciences Not specified Full Time jobs in Saint Augustine