County Extension Director & Extension Agent II - IV OR Program Extension Agent II - IV (70765)
The Institute of Food and Agricultural Sciences is committed to creating an environment that affirms diversity across a variety of dimensions, including ability, class, ethnicity/race, gender identity and expression. We particularly welcome applicants who can contribute to such an environment through their scholarship, teaching, mentoring, and professional service. We strongly encourage historically underrepresented groups to apply.
If an accommodation due to a disability is needed to apply for this position, please call 352-392-2477 or the Florida Relay System at 800-955-8771 (TDD) or visit Accessibility at UF .
Please note : The Extension Agent track is permanent status-accruing and the Program Extension Agent track is non-permanent status accruing in the Florida Cooperative Extension Service (FCES). The track followed by a successful candidate who does not currently hold permanent status in FCES will be agreed upon by UF and the candidate and will depend on current position and experience. A successful candidate who currently holds permanent status in FCES will follow the Extension Agent track. The programmatic focus of this position is Environmental Horticulture with Master Gardener Volunteer program responsibility.
The Univ. of Florida (UF) is a Land Grant institution with core values of unique purpose, excellence, integrity, collaboration and partnership, lifelong learning, diversity, responsiveness, innovation, communication, and global reach. IFAS employs more than 2,000 faculty and staff statewide. IFAS Extension employs 375 Extension Agents and has an office in each of Florida’s 67 counties.
Our mission in the Florida Cooperative Extension Service is to partner with communities to provide quality, relevant education and research-based expertise to foster healthy people, a healthy environment, and a healthy economy. We are the resource that helps educate Floridians to address issues related to agriculture, horticulture, natural resources, youth development, families and communities.
We are looking for candidates with both academic and people skills who work well in teams, honor their commitments, and innovate in a rapidly changing world. As an Extension Agent and County Extension Director (CED), you will work jointly for UF/IFAS Extension and Nassau County. As the CED (about 30% of your time) you will lead the total Nassau County extension program. As the Environmental Horticulture Extension Agent and Master Gardener Volunteer (MGV) Coordinator (about 65% of your time), you will lead county horticulture education and volunteer development programs. This position also includes a 5% effort to support the county 4-H Youth Development program in your area of expertise. You will demonstrate excellent customer service and you will respond to client needs in a timely and professional manner. This role provides the opportunity to make a positive impact in the Nassau County community as you work with extension faculty, staff and stakeholders.
What you will do as County Extension Director:
- Lead, manage, supervise, coordinate, and report on the total county extension program.
- Maintain, foster, and build effective working relationships with stakeholders, county government, community leaders, private sector clientele, media, government agencies, county residents, and UF/IFAS faculty, staff and extension administration.
- Establish and collaborate with an advisory committee composed of citizens and professionals that will assist with program priorities to reach your audiences.
- Manage the Extension Office facilities.
- Oversee the completion of the new Extension building in Yulee and coordinate the move from the current locations in Callahan and Yulee offices.
- Supervise, mentor, and evaluate county faculty and staff.
- Support and commit to an inclusive, diverse, equitable, and accessible environment.
- Serve as a role model to the community.
What you will do as the Environmental Horticulture Extension Agent:
- Develop, implement, maintain, and evaluate comprehensive county horticulture and volunteer development programs in cooperation with local citizens, organizations, volunteers, businesses, agencies, and county/state Extension colleagues.
- Teach Florida Friendly Landscaping and home food production.
- Recruit, train, manage, and retain existing and potential MGVs.
- Use resourcefulness, creativity, enthusiasm, and innovation to strengthen current educational programs while reviewing and implementing new policies, maintaining records assessing risks, communicating, and marketing effectively across social media platforms, managing financial resources, and creating education materials and opportunities for Nassau County.
- Collaborate with the District Extension Director and other Northeast CEDs on multi-county projects.
- Assume other responsibilities that benefit the total county extension program as assigned by the District Extension Director.
Nassau County Extension faculty with assignments in other programmatic areas who meet CED requirements are eligible for consideration.
Employment is contingent on the results of a national background screening.
Consisting of 728 square miles, Nassau County is in the northeast corner of Florida along the Atlantic Ocean and Interstate 95, north of Jacksonville. The eastern part of the county, Amelia Island, has 13 miles of sandy beaches. The population continues to grow, with a current total of 88,000. Nassau County is a popular choice of residence for retirees and military personnel stationed on bases in nearby Duval County (Naval Air Station Jacksonville, Naval Station Mayport) and Camden County (Naval Submarine Base Kings Bay). The staff in the Nassau County Extension office currently consists of five agents with programs in agriculture, natural resources, family and consumer sciences, and 4-H Youth development plus two office assistants.
Extension is a partnership between state, federal, and county governments to provide scientific knowledge and expertise to the public. As such, all partners are involved in the supervision of the office and contribute to the salary and support resources. The primary goal of Extension is to disseminate the latest knowledge and applicable technologies in agriculture, human and natural resources, and the life sciences in order to sustain and enhance the quality of human life. The UF/IFAS mission is accomplished through Extension faculty members, scientists, educators, administrative staff, and volunteers working cohesively throughout Florida’s 67 counties.
Candidates will be reviewed as applications are received, but please be aware that interviews might not be scheduled until 4 to 6 weeks after the position closing date. Are you a good match? Apply today!
What you will bring (required):
- A master’s degree in horticultural science or a closely related field from an accredited college or university. We will accept applicants without a master’s degree if the degree will be earned by May, 2021.
- At least 5 years of professional extension experience or equivalent.
- Strong written and verbal interpersonal and communication skills.
- Ability to establish solid partnerships and to find innovative ways to attract new audiences and volunteers.
- A commitment to customer service.
- Ability to possess (or be able to obtain) a valid Florida driver’s license.
- Flexibility with working hours; willingness to work irregular hours, including evenings, weekends and overnight travel.
What you will bring (preferred):
- Experience working with environmental horticulture, volunteers, management and/or teaching.
- Experience creating lesson plans, developing instructional materials, and applying teaching methods appropriate for the audience
- Expertise in getting groups to work together for a higher goal, managing competing priorities, and adaptability to handle unexpected situations.
- Experience as a communicator who is comfortable presenting in front of small and large crowds.
- Ability to establish solid partnerships.
- Experience acquiring extra-mural funding.
- Outstanding management skills (coach, mentor, motivator, etc.).
- Leadership and problem-solving skills.
- A strong commitment to community.
- Familiarity working in political settings.
- Experience creating a vision and getting buy-in from others.
- Experience working in multicultural settings and with underserved audiences.
- Technological literacy necessary for communication and program management, including social media.
Apply at http://apply.interfolio.com/84535 by 11:59 p.m. (Eastern) of the posting end date, and attach:
- Cover letter that describes how your experience and qualifications have prepared you for this position
- Résumé or Curriculum vitae
- Unofficial copies of all transcripts and/or coursework of your academic degrees
The following documents are also required and may either be submitted through the above link at the time of application, or sent separately to our office (below).
- Current and Previous Employment Form (located at https://hr.ifas.ufl.edu/resources/form-index/current-and-previous-employment-form/ ).
- A minimum of 3 reference rating forms (located at http://hr.ifas.ufl.edu/assets/pdf/forms/ref_form.pdf ) from your professional/academic references. Reference forms will be kept on file for 1 year and will be automatically used with any of our extension agent positions you apply for during that time.
Reference rating forms and unofficial transcripts not submitted at the time of application should be submitted/postmarked by the next business day after the position’s closing date. They may be submitted to:
Ms. Dana LeCuyer
UF IFAS Human Resources
Faculty Recruitment and Hiring
P O Box 110281
Gainesville, FL 32611-0281
Fax: (352) 392-3226
Selected candidate will be required to provide an official transcript to the hiring department upon hire. A transcript will not be considered “official” if a designation of “Issued to Student” is visible. Degrees earned from an education institution outside of the United States are required to be evaluated by a professional credentialing service provider approved by National Association of Credential Evaluation Services (NACES) .
If an accommodation due to a disability is needed to apply for this position, please call 352-392-2477 or the Florida Relay System at 800-955-8771 (TDD).
Hiring is contingent upon eligibility to work in the US. Searches are conducted in accordance with Florida’s Sunshine Law.
The University of Florida is an Equal Opportunity Institution dedicated to building a broadly diverse and inclusive faculty and staff. The University and greater Gainesville community enjoy a diversity of cultural events, restaurants, year-round outdoor recreational activities, and social opportunities.
The University of Florida is committed to non-discrimination with respect to race, creed, color, religion, age, disability, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, marital status, national origin, political opinions or affiliations, genetic information and veteran status in all aspects of employment including recruitment, hiring, promotions, transfers, discipline, terminations, wage and salary administration, benefits, and training.
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Not specified Full Time jobs in Callahan
- Science, Technology & Mathematics Not specified Full Time jobs in Callahan
- Agriculture & Animal Sciences Not specified Full Time jobs in Callahan
- Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Callahan
- Academic Affairs Not specified Full Time jobs in Callahan