The college is pleased to announce an opening for the position of Admission Counselor in the Office of Admission. This is a full-time, year-round, regular appointment reporting to a senior member of the admission team. Admission Counselors participate in all aspects of the admission process, including: meeting with prospective students; leading public presentations; recruitment travel; reviewing and evaluating applications for admission; serving as a full-voting member of the Admission Committee; and working with current students, staff, faculty, and alumni to organize and facilitate recruitment events both on and off campus. Admission Counselors also have responsibility for individual and team-based project work which is assigned based on the strengths and interests of the individual, and the needs of the office.
Recruited and chosen through a highly selective admission process, undergraduates come to Williams from around the world and a wide variety of backgrounds. Sixteen percent are first-generation college students, 21 percent are Pell Grant recipients, and 38 percent are U.S. students of color. Nine percent are international. The college is deeply committed to access. More than half of all students receive financial aid and among aided families, the average cost is about $16,000. Many pay nothing at all, and indebtedness rates at graduation are among the nation’s lowest.
The Admission Counselor will have the opportunity to work on initiatives related to the recruitment of first-generation college students, low-income students, American students of color, and international students. Our expectation is that the successful candidate will excel at working in a community that is broadly diverse with regard to race, ethnicity, socioeconomic status, gender, nationality, sexual orientation, and religion, and we encourage candidates to highlight relevant experiences in their cover letter.
- Bachelor’s degree required, and some experience in higher education, a secondary school or other relevant educational setting is preferred. Current college seniors and recent graduates with a keen interest in higher education administration and college access also encouraged to apply
- Familiarity with the nature and aims of a selective liberal arts college
- Cultural competency and enthusiasm for interacting with students and families from a wide range of backgrounds is essential
- Significant travel* and some evening and weekend responsibilities are required
- Strong organizational and project management skills, and exceptional oral and written communication skills
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite
- Willingness to work extended hours during peak periods
- A valid driver’s license is also required
- Foreign language skills are highly desirable
For optimal consideration please submit your cover letter and resume by March 22. Review of resumes will begin on March 23 and continue until the position is filled. Pay starts in the low $40k’s, commensurate with experience. Job Group 3-C.
*Business travel at the college has been suspended in response to the Covid-19 outbreak. We do not yet know when it will resume, but when it does, it will be an expected component of the admission counselor’s job responsibilities.
Williams is a coeducational liberal arts institution located in the Berkshires of northwestern Massachusetts with access to Albany, Boston, Burlington (VT), New York City, and Montreal. Distinguished by a reputation for outstanding and inclusive teaching and scholarship, academic excellence, and exceptional alumni loyalty, the college is committed to building and supporting a diverse learning community of approximately 2,200 undergraduates.
To apply for this position, please visit http://staff-careers.williams.edu. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact us via phone at (413) 597-4247 or email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Conditions of Employment
Employment at Williams is contingent on the verification of background information submitted by the applicant, including the completion of a criminal record check, and education when applicable.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Beyond meeting fully its legal obligations for non-discrimination, Williams College is committed to building a diverse and inclusive community where members from all backgrounds can live, learn and thrive.
More searches like this
- Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Williamstown
- Academic Affairs Not specified Full Time jobs in Williamstown
- Other Academic Affairs Not specified Full Time jobs in Williamstown
- Student Affairs Not specified Full Time jobs in Williamstown
- Admissions, Enrollment, Retention & Registrar Not specified Full Time jobs in Williamstown