Position Editorial Assistant Full Time/Part Time Full Time Job Type Regular Position Summary
This position is responsible for promoting New Mexico Highlands University through written editorial and marketing content. The successful application for the editorial assistant positions knows how to create engaging written material highlighting the many accomplishments of the university’s students, faculty, staff and community. This position is represented by a labor union and is subject to the terms and conditions of the Collective Bargaining Agreement upon successful completion of probationary period.
Duties and Responsibilities
Writing campus-related news and feature articles, marketing copy, generating and executing story ideas, copy editing, and pitching news stories to relevant media outlets. Digital photography experience and fluency in Spanish helpful. Utilizes media monitoring software to determine story trends, build relationships with media representatives, and pitching story ideas. Interviews faculty, students and staff to generate compelling media content. Proofreads and edits documents and/or manuscripts for spelling, grammar, punctuation, and syntax; makes revisions and corrections and/or recommends adjustments to text, as appropriate. Develops report formats for published materials, in accordance with pre-set guidelines; checks for quality, revises, and prepares materials for printing and publication, as appropriate to departmental activities. Prints and photocopies documents, checking for adherence to appropriate print quality standards. Performs other job-related duties as assigned.
Minimum Job Requirements
EDUCATION : Bachelor’s degree in English, Communications, or related field.
EXPERIENCE : Proven work experience in a similar role, to include an in-depth knowledge of the publication process and best practices.
• Master’s degree in English, Communications, or related field.
• Experience with digital photography and related programs (Adobe Photoshop, Lightroom, etc.).
• Fluency in Spanish.
• FEMA training in communications.
• Previous work in higher education.
Special Conditions for Eligibility Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
• Expertise with Associated Press Style along with excellent grammatical skills.
• Solid foundation in interviewing techniques
• Compelling storytelling ability.
• Excellent writing skills.
• Knowledge of AP Style.
• Ability to handle multiple projects simultaneously.
• Skill in the use of advanced computerized word processing applications and techniques.
• Ability to understand and follow specific instructions and procedures.
• Ability to transcribe verbal dictation and written materials.
• Advanced typing skills.
• Proofreading and editing skills
• Thorough knowledge of spelling, grammar, punctuation, and syntax.
• Sitting: Frequently
• Standing: Occasionally
• Walking: Occasionally
• Bending: Occasionally
• Squatting: Occasionally
• Climbing: Occasionally
• Kneeling: Occasionally
• Lifting up to 50 pounds: Occasionally
• Repetitive hand motion
• Prolonged use of computer
• Work is primarily in an indoor/office setting.
• Work with frequent interruptions.
• Occasional evening/weekend work required.
Pay Rate $46,000 Work Location/Campus Center Las Vegas, NM Campus EEO Statement
New Mexico Highlands University is an affirmative action, equal opportunity employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class. We are committed to the University values of diversity, accessibility, excellence, and responsiveness.
For disabled access or services call 505-454-3242 or email email@example.com
Visit the link below for more information regarding affirmative action and equal opportunity:
Equal Employment Opportunity is THE LAW
Posting Number AS463P Open Date 02/22/2021 Close Date Open Until Filled Special Instructions to Applicant
A complete online application must include: 1) Letter of interest/cover letter; 2) Resume; 3) A list of three (3) professional references; 4) copies of transcripts, and; 5) Three (3) published writing samples. Candidates who are invited for on-campus interviews will be required to submit official transcripts. References will be contacted in conjunction with on-campus interview. Upload required materials with online application. For disabled access or services, call (505) 454-3242 or contact Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org NMHU IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYERPlease submit three published writing samples.
Quick Link https://nmhu.peopleadmin.com/postings/6446 Supplemental Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * How did you hear about this employment opportunity?
- Public Job Posting
- Internal Job Posting
- Agency Referral
- Personal Referral
- * What is the highest level of education attained?
- High School Diploma
- Associates Degree
- Bachelors Degree
- Masters Degree
- * How many years of experience do you have in this type of
- Please describe in detail how your background and experience
would be applicable for this position in a College/University
(Open Ended Question)
- Tell us how you maintain constant performance while under time
and work load pressures.
(Open Ended Question)
- Cover Letter/ Letter of Interest
- Unofficial Transcripts Conferring Required Degree
- Writing Sample
- List of Three Professional References with Name, Address and E-Mail
- Letter(s) of Recommendation