Dean, Behavioral & Social Science
Job Posting Title Dean, Behavioral & Social Science Location Los Rios Community College District (American River College) Department Location Instruction Posting Number AE00407P The Institution
Founded in 1955, American River College ( ARC ) is one of the largest institutions of higher education in the Sacramento region, serving about 30,000 diverse students each fall and spring at its main campus and centers.
The College has an outstanding record for academic quality and is among the top community colleges in the state for transferring students to the University of California and California State University systems. The College offers education and support for students to strengthen basic skills, earn associate degrees and certificates, transfer to other colleges and universities, and achieve a career as well as other academic and personal goals. ARC also has a strong reputation for its wide array of career programs in areas such as Healthcare, Hospitality, Human Services, Business and Computer Science, Public Safety, Applied Arts, Advanced Transportation and Manufacturing, and Apprenticeship.
Our vision is to transform the future of all students and our community through inclusive, equitable education. The College seeks individuals who share our mission of placing students first by providing an academically rich, inclusive environment that inspires critical thinking, learning and achievement, and responsible participation in the community.
Our Commitment to Social Justice and Equity
American River College strives to uphold the dignity and humanity of every student and employee. We are committed to equity and social justice through equity-minded education, transformative leadership, and community engagement. We believe this commitment is essential to achieving our mission and enhancing our community. The College seeks candidates who are committed to culturally inclusive practices and serving the ARC’s student population. Faculty and staff are encouraged to engage in the ongoing development of their professional skills. The College thus supports employee engagement in a broad range of trainings, workshops, and activities such as the Equity Action Institute, the New Faculty Academy, and the Classified Leadership Academy. Also, faculty and staff regularly participate in trainings offered through the College’s Center for Teaching and Learning and its Instructional Technology Center.
Under the general direction of the Vice President of Instruction, the Dean of Behavioral and Social Science performs duties in the administration and supervision of the instructional area including instructor assignments, staff development, class schedules, facilities utilization, staff evaluation, curriculum development and evaluation, budget recommendations, and administration of day, extended day, weekend, and summer offerings.
The Dean of Behavioral and Social Science provides general supervision of the affairs of the area, coordinates the activities of the faculty and staff of the area, and works with district and college staff in all areas of responsibility.
The academic disciplines which the Dean of Behavioral and Social Science currently supervises include: Anthropology, Economics, Gerontology, History, Human Services, Legal Assisting, Political Science, Psychology, and Sociology.
American River College is committed to employees:
● Actively demonstrating a commitment to equity and inclusion.
● Engaging in self-reflection and continuous improvement regarding individuals and their cultural competence.
● Exercising responsibility and accountability for actions.
● Viewing students, ALL students, as equally capable and worthy of our care, time and energy.
● Demonstrating appreciation and respect for others’ perspectives and lived experiences.
Typical duties may include, but are not limited to:
• Providing leadership for the Behavioral and Social Science Division in program development, program review, faculty and student recruitment, and evaluation.
• Promoting student success and improved student learning outcomes.
• Providing administration and supervision to the area, including evaluation, scheduling, budgeting, curriculum development, facilities utilization, and staff development.
• Providing leadership for the integration of general education and career courses and programs.
• Providing leadership and assisting faculty in the development and administration of grants.
• Facilitating communication between the Behavioral and Social Science Division and the college at large.
• Preparing and assisting in reports as necessary.
• Serving on or chairing college governance committees.
• Serving on the Deans’ Council.
• Fostering a completion culture which encourages degrees, certificates, and transfer.
• Performing other duties as assigned.
The administrative assignment may include day, evening, weekend, and/or off-campus work and/or hours.
Work Year 12 month Work Schedule Total Hrs per Week/Day N/A Special Requirements Minimum Qualifications
1. Have a master’s degree* from an accredited institution completed by July 1, 2021.
2. Have one year of formal training, internship, or leadership experience reasonably related to the administrator’s administrative assignment.
3. Have an equity-minded focus, responsiveness, and sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, and ethnic backgrounds of community college students, including those with physical or learning disabilities as it relates to differences in learning styles; and successfully foster and support an inclusive educational and employment environment.
● Applicant must meet the minimum qualifications of a faculty discipline at the college.
● To review the minimum qualifications for faculty disciplines, refer to Minimum Qualifications for Faculty and Administrators’ in California Community Colleges which can be found on our website under CCCCO Handbook .
Applicants applying to this position are REQUIRED to complete fully and submit:
1. Los Rios Community College District Administrative Application
2. Unofficial transcripts of college/university work (indicating degree completion or conferral date)
3. Resume or Curriculum Vitae
4. Two letters of recommendation
5. Letter of Interest
● Applications submitted without all required documents, listed above, will be disqualified.
● Applicants indicating “see resume” on the online application will be disqualified.
● Graduate advising documents and grade reports will not be accepted as unofficial transcripts.
● Los Rios employees are also required to submit unofficial copies of transcripts.
● Individuals who have completed college or university course work at an institution in a country other than the United States must obtain a complete evaluation of foreign transcripts, degrees and other relevant documents.
● A foreign transcript evaluation is required any time foreign course work is used to meet minimum qualifications and/or salary placement even if the foreign transcript has been accepted by a college or university in the United States.
● Foreign transcript evaluations are ONLY accepted from AICE (Association of International Credential Evaluations, Inc.) or NACES (The National Association of Credential Evaluation Services) agencies or evaluators. Foreign Degree Transcript Evaluations click here
Do not submit additional materials that are not requested.
Physical Demands Salary $136,580 to $147,838 annually. LRCCD Salary Schedules Additional Salary Information Additional stipend for an earned doctorate from an accredited university.
Posting Date 02/22/2021 Closing Date 03/25/2021 Open Continuously No Beginning and/or Ending Dates
Full-time, Twelve-month, Educational Administrative Position
Beginning on or about July 1, 2021.
How and where to apply
Please visit our Frequently Asked Questions for complete information on how to apply online with our District. If you need assistance with any phase of the application process, please call (916) 568-3112 during regular business hours Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
After hours inquiries should be emailed to HR@losrios.edu. Submission of applications are by 11:59 p.m. of the posting closing date.
Offers of employment are contingent upon the successful clearance from a criminal background check, freedom from tuberculosis, and proof of identity and eligibility to work in the United States prior to the first day of work. The District may select additional qualified candidates should unexpected vacancies or needs occur during this recruitment/selection process. When education is a requirement for the position, official academic transcripts from the accredited college/university must be submitted within 60 days of hire.
Contingent on funding and eligibility, successful candidates selected for a face to face interview may be eligible to apply for partial reimbursement of travel expenses, up to a maximum of $450. Candidate Travel Reimbursement click here
Administrative positions may be subject to the District’s Conflict of Interest Code, and a statement of economic interest is required within thirty (30) days following appointment to the position. Management/Executive positions are exempt from overtime provisions of the Fair Labor Standards Act.
Quicklink https://jobs.losrios.edu/postings/15024 Supplemental Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- I acknowledge and agree that I understand that by answering the
question below, I certify that the information provided by me is
true, correct and complete to the best of my knowledge and belief.
I authorize investigation of all statements contained herein, and
on the P-881 (if applicable and submitted), and I release from
liability all persons and organizations furnishing such
information. I understand that any misstatements, omissions or
misrepresentation of facts on this form, my application, and, if
applicable, the P-881 or attachment(s) may be cause for
disqualification or dismissal. If you have ever been convicted of
an offense other than a minor traffic violation you are required to
complete the form 'Arrests Which Led to Convictions for Crime',
P-881 (you must disclose convictions that have been dismissed
pursuant to Penal Code Section 1203.4; Ed. Code 87008). If needed
click on the link and download the form https://losrios.edu/lrccd/shared/doc/hr/forms/p-881.pdf
and attach the completed form to your application.
- Yes, I acknowledge and agree
- No, I do not acknowledge or agree
- No answer
- Can you perform the essential functions of this position?
- Considering this specific position that you are applying to –
where/how did you learn about this position?
- College Department
- Chronicle of Higher Ed (Vitea.com)
- Community College Registry Job Fair: Oakland
- Community College Registry Job Fair: Los Angeles
- Community College Registry Online Job Board
- Community Outreach (ex. Festivals, etc.)
- Diverse: Issues in Higher Education
- D'Primeramano Magazine
- Facebook (Campaign)
- Facebook (Los Rios Page)
- Greater Sacramento Urban League
- Handshake (CSU, UC Job Boards)
- Job Sites
- Job Journal
- Latina Leadership Network of the California Community Colleges
- Los Rios Community College District Employee
- Los Rios Community College District Human Resources Email
- Los Rios Community College District Website
- LRCCD Resource Group - API (Asian Pacific Islander Legacy)
- LRCCD Resource Group - Black Faculty & Staff Association (BFSA)
- LRCCD Resource Group Native American Collaborative (NAC)
- LRCCD Resource Group - Spectrum (LGBTQIA+)
- Professional Networks
- Sacramento Black Chamber of Commerce
- Sacramento Asian Chamber of Commerce
- Sacramento Builders Exchange
- Sacramento Hispanic Chamber of Commerce
- Sacramento Rainbow Chamber of Commerce
- The HUB
- Resume/Curriculum Vitae
- Letter of Interest
- Unofficial Transcript 1
- Letter of Recommendation 1
- Letter of Recommendation 2
- Equivalency Determination Letter (P-38 or Equivalency Request Statement)
- P-881 Report of Arrests Which Led To Convictions For Crime Document
- Employee Request for Transfer Form
- Unofficial Transcript 2
- Unofficial Transcript 3
- Foreign Transcript Evaluation
- Unofficial Transcript 4
- Unofficial Transcript 5
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Not specified Full Time jobs in Sacramento
- Professional Fields Not specified Full Time jobs in Sacramento
- Social Work & Human Services Not specified Full Time jobs in Sacramento
- Social & Behavioral Sciences Not specified Full Time jobs in Sacramento
- Criminal Justice & Criminology Not specified Full Time jobs in Sacramento