AS-21-1 Assistant Professor, Film and Cinematic Studies
Assistant Professor, Film and Cinematic Studies
School of Arts and Sciences
Department: Communication Arts
Expected start date: Fall 2021
Deadline for applying: March 15
The Department of Communication Arts in the School of Arts and Sciences at the Lebanese American University (LAU) invites applicants to a tenure-track faculty position at the Assistant Professor rank. The department is interested in applicants able to balance theory, research, critical inquiry and film production abilities, teach various undergraduate and graduate courses, and contribute to developing curricula and programs in the Department of Communication Arts.
- Teach on both campuses professional, research and theoretical courses in film and cinematic studies, from introductory to advanced levels, such as courses in filmmaking principles, directing, producing, editing, cinematography, scriptwriting, storytelling, documentary, sound, film critique, and other advanced cinematic arts modules.
- Advise and mentor students in the Television and Film track and support student film production projects.
- Actively engage in scholarly production focused on Arab film and media.
- Engage in service to the university and the department, particularly related to developing the Television and Film program and future graduate degrees.
- Ph.D., MFA or other terminal degree in film studies or related field.
- Evidence of a strong research agenda and published output in international peer-reviewed journals and scholarly publications.
- Evidence of creative professional output and experience in filmmaking.
- Demonstrated interest in the Lebanese and Arab film scenes.
- Evidence of successful university teaching.
- Ability to produce professional content, using the latest technologies and concepts in filmmaking.
- Mastery of various research methods.
- Evidence of fund raising abilities and experience in developing and leading major projects and international programs, such as film festivals and study abroad and exchange programs.
- Knowledge of new digital methodologies and approaches, both in research and film production.
- Arabic fluency is a plus.
The Department of Communication Arts offers a broad-based liberal arts curriculum that balances theory, research, professional practice and critical inquiry, and prepares students to become innovative, professional, and ethical communicators ready to thrive in a rapidly evolving field and industry. The department offers programs in multimedia journalism, television and film, communication, and the performing arts. The department is dedicated to excellence in the production and diffusion of knowledge and the critical practice of media, film and the performing arts. It aims to develop civically engaged and informed citizens capable of reflecting on local and global issues. It strives to graduate ethical scholars, artists, and professionals in the various communication fields and specialties. Information about the department can be found at http://comm.lau.edu.lb
The Lebanese American University is an Equal Opportunity Employer operating in Lebanon under a charter from the Regents of the State University of New York. Information about the University can be found at http://www.lau.edu.lb
Prospective candidates should apply electronically by sending a letter of interest including a statement of teaching and research interests, an updated CV, and unofficial transcripts by email to: email@example.com. The CV should include the names, emails and phone numbers of three references. The university reserves the right to contact additional references with notice given to the candidates at an appropriate time in the process.
Candidates must refer to position number AS-21-1 in the subject line of the email.
Apply for AS-21-1 Assistant Professor, Film and Cinematic Studies
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly