Biology Instructor - TT - SCC (Colville, WA)
SALARY: See Position DescriptionOPENING DATE: 02/19/21 CLOSING DATE: 03/19/21 04:00 PM
The Rural Education Department of Spokane Community College (SCC), a part of the Extended Learning Division, seeks qualified candidates for consideration of employment in this annually contracted, tenure track position in Colville, WA. We seek applicants with a passion for teaching, expertise in general biology, basic and advanced human anatomy and physiology and their associated laboratory components. Qualified candidates will also possess commitment to the students and mission of SCC and to the communities of our rural, northern counties (Stevens, Pend Oreille, and Ferry).
This unique opportunity provides the right candidate the benefits and challenges associated with teaching in a small, close-knit community, while still offering support from and relationships with peers and resource centers at the larger SCC main campus. SCC's Colville Center is socioeconomically and culturally diverse. Newly upgraded video conferencing equipment creates an engaging environment for teaching students on-campus in Colville along with students connected from Inchelium, Newport and Republic.
SCC serves over 10,000 square miles in eastern Washington including educational centers in Colville, Newport, Inchelium, and Republic. More information about relocating to/living in Spokane is available here: http://ccs.spokane.edu/Working-for-Us/Relocation-and-Living-in-Spokane.
SCC is one of two accredited community colleges that comprise the Community Colleges of Spokane. Serving about 22,000 students, SCC is an educational leader and responsive partner with the community and region to provide access to relevant programs of the highest quality. Offering state-of-the-art career technical programs (approximately 50% of total enrollment) as well as liberal arts/transfer programs (about 25%) and basic education for adults (about 25%), SCC’s comprehensive opportunities transform lives and enrich our communities. As a college we are collectively committed to the work that embraces diversity, promotes equity, and fosters inclusion and global awareness at every level of our college.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Prepares for and instructs, through traditional classroom and distance education modes, transfer-level classes in the discipline of Biology. Typical assignments will include General Biology, and Basic and Advanced Human Anatomy and Physiology. Assignment will be in Colville, WA and may include weekday, evening, online and hybrid courses;
- Communicates expectations and establishes clear grading criteria through appropriate instructional means, to include but not limited to developing course syllabi, handouts, and materials supporting the instructional process; evaluates student progress and provides clear, timely feedback;
- Provides availability and accessibility to students for purpose of academic consulting and support, in a manner appropriate to meet student needs, through a combination of scheduled office hours, e-mail accessibility or other effective means of responsive and timely communication;
- Creates a teaching, learning and working environment that supports diversity, equity and inclusion.
- Participates in district, division, department, or general faculty meetings; in-service training; curriculum development; academic consulting; workshops or seminars; service on district or college councils or committees, or other activities within the scope of the position;
- Complies with state and federal law applicable to professional duties and responsibilities;
- Support and advance the CCS strategic plan, and perform other duties as assigned;
- In addition, faculty may:
- Instruct courses in related disciplines based upon individual qualifications and expertise. Of particular interest are Microbiology, Chemistry or Environmental Science.
- Supervise paraprofessional employees or direct the work of assigned work-study students. Responsible for ensuring assigned staff adhere to acceptable behavior and performance standards. Demonstrate that assigned staff have been informed how behavior and performance will be assessed, receive timely and accurate feedback regarding performance, and any observed performance and behavioral problems are corrected promptly.
- Advise student clubs or associations.
COMPETENCIES & OTHER REQUIREMENTS:REQUIRED COMPETENCIES (Minimum Qualifications)
- An earned Master’s degree or higher in Biology or related discipline from an accredited institution
- Relevant graduate level course work in mammalian physiology, anatomy, cellular biology and/or molecular biology.
- Previous teaching experience in lab sciences.
- Previous experience using technology-based course components and effective online communication (video conference platforms including Zoom, Canvas, etc.)
- Experience working with diverse individuals to include: historically underrepresented, nontraditional, economically disadvantaged, first-generation, and/or people with disabilities.
- Experience working as a member of a team.
- Acceptance of the responsibility to promote the welfare and best interests of students at all times.
- Acceptance of and willingness to support the role that community colleges serve in higher education, and specifically the mission, values, goals and objectives of the Community Colleges of Spokane.
- Ability to perform assigned duties in a manner consistent with applicable laws, regulations and goals of the institution and the community/technical college system.
- Demonstrated commitment to fostering and supporting a teaching, learning and working environment that honors diversity, equity and inclusion.
- The department seeks a broadly educated candidate with academic background and teaching experience in the areas of Biology, Chemistry, Human Anatomy and Physiology, Environmental Science, and/or Microbiology.
- Ability to teach online or hybrid science courses, particularly those with online lectures and/or online laboratories.
- Teaching experience in a community college setting.
- Familiarity with student success initiatives and other scholarship devoted to the improvement of student learning.
CONDITIONS/TERMS OF EMPLOYMENT:TERMS OF EMPLOYMENT
This is a full-time, tenure track position with an entry level base salary (for a 175-day academic year contract) of $60,647 - $64,587 / year. Future advancement in base salary, up to the current maximum of $83,494, is based upon a combination of years of service accrued at our college and professional development activity.
Faculty have potential to earn up to $121,561 (average annual salary paid to our 20 highest earning faculty during FY2018/19). FY 2018/19 average annual faculty salary (all faculty) was $76,425. Annual salary is comprised of base salary plus any combination of academic year overload contracts, summer effort contracts, project stipends, student club advising stipends, and/or department chair /program lead faculty stipends consistent with the provisions of the current collective bargaining agreement between CCS and the Association for Higher Education (AHE).
TOTAL COMPENSATION: $77,055 - $81,347.
Total compensation is an estimate based upon adding the following amounts together:
CCS reserves the right to cancel this recruitment without notice. Union membership is no longer a condition of employment although this position is covered by a collective bargaining agreement. Anticipated date of employment is Fall 2021.
CONDITIONS FOR EMPLOYMENT
Person hired must be able to provide acceptable documentation of U.S. Citizenship or lawful authorization to work in the United States. This is an absolute condition of employment. An offer of employment will not carry with it any responsibility or obligation on the part of the District to sponsor an H1-B visa. In addition, the Community Colleges of Spokane maintains a drug-free work environment and prohibits all smoking in the college buildings and state-owned vehicles. Must be able to successfully work in and promote a multicultural work and education environment. Prior to a new hire, a background check including criminal record history will be conducted. Information from the background check will not necessarily preclude employment but will be considered in determining the applicant’s suitability and competence to perform in the position. Once an applicant is chosen for an interview, they are required to complete and submit a declaration regarding sexual misconduct and investigation per state law.
REQUIRED APPLICATION MATERIALS:APPLICATION CLOSING DATE
Applications will be accepted until 4:00 p.m. PST on March 19, 2021. The application process will not be available after this time. To ensure consideration make sure your application is completed and submitted as soon as possible. Applications will only be accepted prior to 4:00 p.m. on the closing date.
To qualify for consideration, applicants must meet required competencies and submit a complete application packet, which includes the following:
- CCS online application.
- Cover letter addressing your qualifications as applied to the responsibilities of this position. *
- Curriculum vitae or Comprehensive resume. *
- Names, addresses, and telephone numbers of three professional references.*
- College transcript(s) - unofficial/copies of transcripts are acceptable for initial application, official copies must be submitted upon acceptance of job offer. *
Community Colleges of Spokane does not discriminate in its programs, activities and employment on the basis of race, creed, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, age, sex, marital status, pregnancy, parental status or families with children, status as a mother breastfeeding her child, AIDS/HIV or hepatitis C, honorably discharged veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, use of trained guide dog or service animal by a person with disability, genetic information or any other legally protected category. Please direct all inquiries regarding compliance with access, equal opportunity and/or grievances to the Chief Administration Officer, Community Colleges of Spokane, 501 N. Riverpoint Blvd., PO Box 6000, MS 1004, Spokane WA 99217-6000 or call 509-434-5037; WA Telecommunication Relay Services (TRS) 1-800-833-6384 or 7-1-1
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Tenured/Tenured Track Competitive Full Time jobs in Spokane
- Science, Technology & Mathematics Tenured/Tenured Track Competitive Full Time jobs in Spokane
- Biology & Life Sciences Tenured/Tenured Track Competitive Full Time jobs in Spokane
- Other Science & Technology Tenured/Tenured Track Competitive Full Time jobs in Spokane