Working as part of the Buildings & Grounds team, the utility cleaner/mover is responsible for providing support to all areas of campus - loading/unloading/transporting/delivering supplies and a range of other items to designated locations on/around campus as well as handling event set ups (i.e., delivers/arranges/moves chairs, tables, podiums) and assisting with office moves. The cleaner/mover is essential to ensuring that our campus teams have the necessary supplies and support and essential to ensuring that our students have a healthy and clean environment in which to live, learn and thrive.
As part of this work, the utility cleaner/mover is responsible for maintaining and ensuring the cleanliness and sanitary conditions of administrative buildings, academic/campus facilities and residential buildings/locations. The position handles general cleaning assignments, universal to all facilities and also has location-specific cleaning responsibilities. The position works in partnership with all campus offices as well as the College staff, faculty, students, and visitors. Therefore, excellent communication skills are required to develop and maintain positive working relationships with all constituent groups. The position is full-time (40 hours/week) and the work schedule is 6:30 am to 3:00 pm (Monday through Friday). The position may be required to assist in other areas of the College as needed and may be assigned other work responsibilities during non-academic term time.
Bennington serves a diverse student population - inclusive of ethnic/racial minorities, international and global constituents, sexual minorities, and various social classes, among other identities. Our staff and faculty also reflect diverse backgrounds and identities. All employees are expected to be respectful and responsive to these differences in the service of building community that promotes student and employee success. Each individual (faculty, staff and students) will be accountable for upholding these values. The College’s approach to pluralism and inclusivity—both as fields of inquiry and practice—is to prioritize flexible thought, and to invite the examination of access, value, and power through its institutional policies and areas of study. We encourage applicants from diverse realms of interest, backgrounds, experience, and accomplishment to apply.
Specific position responsibilities include the following:
- Assist daily with the lifting, moving, and delivery of various items to and from assigned locations according to the needs of the College. This duty may require the operation of vehicles, fork trucks, lifts, and similar machinery to assist with facilitating such moves.
- Accept, prioritize, and manage daily work orders through completion. Notify supervisor of discrepancies/problems with work orders.
- Assist with the setup and placement of tables, chairs and other equipment for College events.
- Ensure the cleanliness and sanitary condition of assigned facilities, including, but not limited to:
- Empty trash and recycling.
- Clean and disinfect bathroom sinks, tubs, toilets, showers, mirrors, and floors and restock supplies.
- Sweep, vacuum, and/or wet mop floors or operate floor-cleaning machine as required for specific location. Vacuum entryway mats.
- Wipe down kitchen counters and appliances.
- Wash and change linens and clean rooms in various outside houses, as scheduled. Maintain appropriate inventory of linen, lamps, and blankets.
- Clean water fountains and water coolers.
- Change light bulbs where possible to reach.
- Call in work orders to be completed by the crafts department.
- Ensure the windows are closed at night and that the pianos are dusted and water pans are filled, in rooms where the pianos are located.
- Clean accessible windows and door/foyer glass; spot cleaning daily as needed.
- Wash shower curtains and wash bathroom windows.
- Keep walls, lights, ceilings, windows, windowsills and mopboards free of dust.
- Spray-buff floors.
- Clean sink/supply closets.
- As needed:
- Clean, disinfect, scrub walls and stairs.
- Clean kitchen refrigerators and oven.
- Shampoo rugs and furniture.
- Sweep exterior porches and steps and monitor perimeter of the building to ensure that all entrances to the building/facility are free from litter. Keep ashtray cans free of litter once a week. Clean walkways from ceramics studio to kiln building (excluding snow removal). Wear protective mask when cleaning ceramics areas.
- Assist with the setup and placement of furniture/equipment for College events.
- Operate assigned vehicles as required to assist with transport of goods to designated areas and/or to facilitate execution of job functions. Report any mechanical defects in vehicle to assistant director.
- Maintain proper care of tools and equipment. Report necessary equipment repair and maintenance to supervisor in a timely manner.
- Follow established safety rules and regulations including using appropriate guards and safety devices on all equipment. Maintain a safe and clean work environment. Keep informed of all material safety data sheets. Attend and successfully complete/pass College-sponsored safety classes and seminars.
- Promote a positive and congenial atmosphere and working relationship with students, employees, supervisors and other individuals that this position may come in contact with. Work effectively with other personnel to complete/coordinate designated duties.
- Use proper judgment in work assignments on a daily basis and recommend improvements in work efficiency. Effectively manage own time.
- High School graduate and/or GED equivalent required. Minimum six months of experience in professional cleaning required. Moving experience preferred. Ability to operate a vacuum, buffer, floor machine, wet/dry vacuum, washing machine and similar equipment required for housekeeping/cleaning tasks. Ability to operate forklift within established safety requirements and guidelines. Current/valid driver’s license.
- Successful completion of College’s annual Hazardous Communication Training Program. Ability to understand proper use of chemicals used in the performance of position duties and maintain familiarity with the chemical’s material safety data sheets. Required attendance and successful completion/passing of College-sponsored classes and seminars determined by employer. Successful completion of forklift operation safety training required.
- Exceptional customer service skills; demonstrated experience interacting and developing relationships with internal customers. Demonstrated ability to multi-task, respond to requests with a sense of urgency, and complete work orders in a timely manner.
- Language Skills: Ability to comprehend and follow oral and written instructions, procedures, correspondence, and memos. Ability to write correspondence. Ability to give full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate.
- Math Skills: Ability to add, subtract, multiply and divide in all units of measure and inventory, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals to solve problems.
- Reasoning Ability: Ability to use logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems; considering the relative costs and benefits of potential actions and discussing ideas with supervisor. Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form.
Physical, Mental and Visual Effort
This position works both inside and outdoors with the potential for extreme weather conditions. This position requires the ability to lift and carry at least 100 lbs and the ability to use abdominal and lower back muscles to support repeated lifting over time without fatiguing. This position requires frequent heavy physical exertion; typically involves lifting, standing, bending, reaching, stooping, walking, pushing, pulling and climbing stairs, step ladders and extension ladders to coordinate work. This position may require some overtime as well as weekend and holiday coverage.
The position requires successful completion and acceptable results of a background check.