Bennington College seeks an experienced Electrician to join our Buildings & Grounds team. The electrican will join a dynamic and highly customer-centric team responsible ensuring for the safe and efficient operation of all electrical systems, equipment and fixtures on campus. The electrician performs all phases of electrical work including installation, wiring, maintenance, and repair. The position is full-time (Monday through Friday, 7:00 am to 3:30 pm).
Bennington serves a diverse student population - inclusive of ethnic/racial minorities, international and global constituents, sexual minorities, and various social classes, among other identities. Our staff and faculty also reflect diverse backgrounds and identities. All employees are expected to be respectful and responsive to these differences in the service of building community that promotes student and employee success. Each individual (faculty, staff and students) will be accountable for upholding these values. The College’s approach to pluralism and inclusivity—both as fields of inquiry and practice—is to prioritize flexible thought, and to invite the examination of access, value, and power through its institutional policies and areas of study. We encourage applicants from diverse realms of interest, backgrounds, experience, and accomplishment to apply.
Additional position responsibilities include the following:
- Study building plans to verify the presence or location of existing wiring/devices and to determine materials and equipment needed for projects. Locate and mark the position of wire installations, connections, conduit, or fixtures in structures and indicate any changes on as-built plans.
- Ensure the safe and efficient operation of all electrical apparatus, including fire alarm and telephone systems, and apply relevant electrical codes.
- Maintain current knowledge of installation, maintenance and repair of electrical wiring, equipment and fixtures through State-approved continuing education required to maintain license.
- Perform routine preventative maintenance and repairs to facilities and equipment, relative to the electrical field.
- Maintain and submit required logs and records.
- Collaborate with contractors, inspectors, suppliers and co-workers on projects and work orders.
- Locate, identify and mark underground utilities.
- Accept, review, and prioritize work orders and manage orders through completion. Notify supervisor of discrepancies/problems with work orders, including any observation of hazardous materials or conditions.
- Operate assigned vehicles as required to assist with transport of goods to designated areas and/or to facilitate execution of job functions. Report any mechanical defects in vehicle to assistant director.
- Maintain proper care of tools and equipment. Report necessary equipment repair and maintenance to supervisor in a timely manner.
- Follow established safety rules and regulations including using appropriate guards and safety devices on all equipment. Maintain a safe and clean work environment. Keep informed of all material safety data sheets. Attend and successfully complete/pass College-sponsored safety classes and seminars.
- Promote a positive and congenial atmosphere and working relationship with students, employees, supervisors and other individuals that this position may come in contact with. Work effectively with other personnel to complete/coordinate designated duties.
- Use proper judgment in work assignments on a daily basis and recommend improvements in work efficiency. Effectively manage own time.
- High School graduate and/or GED equivalent required. Minimum six (6) years of related electrical experience required; valid/current Master Electrician’s License (State Of Vermont) required; valid/current driver’s license required.
- Successful completion of College’s annual Hazardous Communication Training Program. Ability to understand proper use of chemicals used in the performance of position duties and maintain familiarity with the Chemical’s material safety data sheets. Required attendance and successful completion/passing of College-sponsored classes and seminars determined by employer. Incumbent must fulfill any continuing education training or instruction required by the State of Vermont to keep required licenses in good standing.
- Exceptional customer service skills; demonstrated experience interacting and developing relationships with internal customers. Demonstrated ability to multi-task and complete work orders in a timely manner.
- Language Skills: Ability to comprehend and follow oral and written instructions, procedures, correspondence, and memos. Ability to write correspondence. Ability to give full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate.
- Math Skills: Ability to add, subtract, multiply and divide in all units of measure and inventory, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals to solve problems.
- Reasoning Ability: Ability to use logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems; considering the relative costs and benefits of potential actions and discussing ideas with supervisor. Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form.
This position requires successful completion and acceptable results of a background check.
Physical, Mental and Visual Effort
This position works both indoors and outside; primarily within the electrical areas of office buildings, academic/campus facilities, residential houses and general maintenance plant building. These areas are often confined spaces with limited physical access; potential to work under extreme temperatures. This position requires routine medium to heavy physical exertion; typically involves lifting, standing, bending, reaching, stooping, walking, pushing, pulling and climbing stairs, step ladders and extension ladders to coordinate work. This position requires the ability to lift and carry at least 50 pounds and the ability to exert up to 50 pounds of force frequently. This position may require some overtime as well as weekend and holiday coverage.