Instructor - Nurse Practitioner or Physician Assistant
Baylor College of Medicine/Texas Children's Hospital Cancer and Hematology Center is currently seeking an Advanced Practice Provider for inpatient Oncology and Hematology patients.
Scope of practice:
- Covers inpatient Oncology and Hematology patients for 12 hour shifts in the daytime. Works as part of team including Attending Oncologist and Hematology-Oncology fellow to provide care for current and new inpatients on acute care floor.
- Participates in multidisciplinary rounds including medical, nursing and pharmacy personnel to provide optimal patient care.
- Provides all patient care for assigned patients including but not limited to daily rounding/notes, calling consults, non-chemotherapy order writing, completing admission and discharge paperwork.
- Provides support to other team members in the care of inpatient oncology patients including coordination of care, consenting and arranging procedures.
- Ensures appropriate sign-out of patients under their care
Provides advanced nursing care to patients in a clinical setting in an area of specialization under the direction of a physician.
- Obtain detailed history and perform physical examinations.
- Perform, order, and interpret diagnostic procedures in accordance with relevant health concerns of the patient.
- Prescribes appropriate pharmacological and non-pharmacological treatments.
- Maintain records and write orders and progress notes in patient charts as to status, treatments, and procedures.
- Monitors and ensures accuracy of recording on patient medical records.
- Provide follow-up health maintenance care to patients in accordance with protocols established with the supervising physician.
- Communicate with physicians, patients, and the family members of patients concerning patient care.
- Collaborates with providers, and practice staff in identifying appropriate patients for care management.
- Perform other job related duties as assigned.
- Education Required:
- For Nurse Practitioner: Master’s degree in in Nursing.
- For Physician Assistant: Master’s degree in Physician Assistant Studies. NOTE: Bachelor's degree in Physician Assistant Studies accepted based on terminal degree requirements at time of graduation.
- Experience Required: None required.
- For Nurse Practitioner: Current license as a Registered Nurse (RN) by the State of Texas Board of Nursing. Current Texas Licensure as an Advanced Practice Nurse (APRN-NP), and specialty certification as required by department.
- For Physician Assistant: Current license as a Physician Assistant by the State of Texas Physician Assistant Board. Specialty certification as required by department.
Baylor College of Medicine is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action/Equal Access Employer.