Immigration Program Specialist
Reporting to the director of International Support Services (ISS) organization within Outreach and International Affairs, the immigration program specialist executes delivery of the permanent residency and non-immigrant visa programs at Virginia Tech. Exercising independent judgment, the specialist will research, interpret, and apply federal and institutional rules. The successful candidate must gather and analyze confidential information to ensure efficient delivery of these programs, which are important components in advancing the university’s internationalization priorities.
Responsible for prompt and accurate communication with Virginia Tech’s hiring units and employees to ensure effective delivery of the nonimmigrant visa and permanent residency programs; Coordinates with Virginia Tech hiring units to ensure receipt of complete H-1B (and other non-immigrant visa) and labor certification application request packages; Coordinates with Virginia Tech hiring units and employees to ensure receipt of supporting documents required by US immigration laws; Prepares initial H-1B petitions and adjustment of status applications; Implements PERM Labor certification program compliance; Maintains immigration case-management system; Updates website, as needed.
• Master’s degree, or Bachelor's degree with significant comparable experience
• Significant experience working in a professional position in a regulated and/or compliance-driven environment
• Strong communication, interpersonal, and intercultural skills
• Ability to effectively communicate with federal agencies, faculty and staff from diverse backgrounds and cultural traditions
• Ability to work independently and effectively manage competing priorities while also paying close attention to details
• Experience preparing US immigration forms
• Experience with SUNAPSIS
• Knowledge of employment-based permanent residency process
• Experience preparing and tracking complex documents/materials
• Experience with program coordination
• Experience living or studying abroad and/or proficiency in a second language
• Experience working with the international community in higher education
Commensurate with experience up to budget max of $60,000
March 5, 2021
The successful Candidate will be required to have a criminal conviction check
About Virginia Tech
Dedicated to its motto, Ut Prosim (That I May Serve), Virginia Tech pushes the boundaries of knowledge by taking a hands-on, transdisciplinary approach to preparing scholars to be leaders and problem-solvers. A comprehensive land-grant institution that enhances the quality of life in Virginia and throughout the world, Virginia Tech is an inclusive community dedicated to knowledge, discovery, and creativity. The university offers more than 280 majors to a diverse enrollment of more than 36,000 undergraduate, graduate, and professional students in eight undergraduate colleges , a school of medicine , a veterinary medicine college, Graduate School , and Honors College . The university has a significant presence across Virginia, including the Innovation Campus in Northern Virginia; the Health Sciences and Technology Campus in Roanoke; sites in Newport News and Richmond; and numerous Extension offices and research centers . A leading global research institution, Virginia Tech conducts more than $500 million in research annually.
Virginia Tech does not discriminate against employees, students, or applicants on the basis of age, color, disability, sex (including pregnancy), gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation, or veteran status, or otherwise discriminate against employees or applicants who inquire about, discuss, or disclose their compensation or the compensation of other employees or applicants, or on any other basis protected by law.
If you are an individual with a disability and desire an accommodation, please contact Belinda Pauley at firstname.lastname@example.org during regular business hours at least 10 business days prior to the event.
Advertised: February 19, 2021