Provost and Executive Vice President for Academic Affairs
Cedar Falls, Iowa
PROVOST AND EXECUTIVE VICE PRESIDENT FOR ACADEMIC AFFAIRS
The University of Northern Iowa (UNI) community invites applications and nominations for the position of Provost and Executive Vice President for Academic Affairs (EVPAA). The University celebrates its 150th anniversary in 2026. In the five years leading to this milestone, UNI is thinking critically about its long-term future and laying a solid foundation to thrive into the next century. The University is seeking a forward-looking leader who can provide collaborative leadership in developing, supporting, and implementing the academic vision for UNI in pursuit of its mission and values.
UNI, located in Cedar Falls, is one of three state universities in Iowa and the only comprehensive institution. A member of the American Association of State Colleges and Universities (AASCU), the institution has been honored with two AASCU Excellence and Innovation Awards in the past five years. The first award, in the area of Student Success and College Completion, recognized UNI’s peer mentoring program and its focus on first-year students, making them feel at home and putting them on a path to success. The second award for Regional and Economic Development acknowledged the UNI Regional Entrepreneurship Project, reaching into 17 Iowa counties to develop a customized strategic plan in each area, thus assisting local leadership in success for their local economies. The University and its faculty, staff, and students are ranked consistently and recognized regionally and nationally for success.
Founded in 1876, the University’s enrollment is approximately 10,000 students in five colleges: the College of Education; College of Business; College of Humanities, Arts and Sciences; College of Social and Behavioral Sciences; and the Graduate College. UNI is accredited by the Higher Learning Commission; there are many programs within the institution that have discipline-specific accreditation based on their high quality.
The Provost provides leadership for curriculum, assessment, institutional research, instructional technology, research and sponsored programs, and international programs. The Provost and EVPAA also has responsibility for the Academic Affairs division, which includes the colleges, library, continuing education and special programs, undergraduate studies, enrollment management, admissions, financial aid, registrar, and the Center for Urban Education.
UNI seeks an authentic, energetic individual with strong communication and team-building skills. With oversight for all aspects of teaching and learning, applicants must be able to speak to UNI's mission as a public regional comprehensive university – engaging students in high-quality, high-impact learning experiences, emphasizing excellence in teaching and scholarship, and working on behalf of students to realize their fullest potential. Further, the Provost will champion UNI's core values: academic freedom, access, accountability, collaboration, community, diversity, engagement, excellence, and sustainability. The Provost will promote and sustain a respectful, rigorous, compassionate, and learning-centered environment for UNI and work collaboratively with the entire UNI community to achieve a shared vision.
- Capability to advance a bold vision for UNI and a demonstrated ability to make that vision a reality;
- Experience and a strong capacity to provide an immediate focus on increasing enrollment;
- Commitment to access, achievement, retention, and success for all students;
- Proven ability to build an inclusive environment and facilitate bold implementation of equity, diversity, and inclusion initiatives among students, faculty, and staff;
- Deep respect for transparency, the tenets of shared governance, and a strong understanding of labor management issues;
- Fiscal management and budgetary experience with organizations of similar complexity;
- Knowledge of revenue diversification, creative allocation, and resource generation, including fundraising;
- Organizational and management experience in leading, developing, and building consensus in an academic environment;
- Strategic planning experience and clear, fact-based and data-informed decision making abilities based upon regional and national trends in higher education;
- Broad knowledge of academic program and curriculum development to remain competitive and viable in regional, national, and global contexts;
- Demonstrated commitment to ongoing professional development and mentorship for faculty and staff;
- Ability to ensure that policies governing academic and student issues enhance the learning environment and support student success;
- Experience in community engagement and bridge-building with diverse constituencies, including state and city government leaders, the Board of Regents, K-12, businesses, and foundations;
- Practice of the servant leadership style along with demonstrated emotional intelligence and a clarion voice on behalf of UNI;
- Strong spoken, written, and listening skills with an approachable style;
- Determination to build upon UNI's strengths, supporting the University's role as a premier educator preparation institution in balance with current and emerging educational needs of the state, the liberal arts, scholarship, and research;
- Higher education teaching experience is required and experience in a regional comprehensive public university is preferred;
- Earned doctorate or terminal degree from an accredited institution of higher education and accomplishments worthy of appointment as a full professor;
- At least seven years of significant administrative experience in higher education; and
- Experience overseeing faculty whose responsibilities include teaching, scholarship, and service.
APPLICATIONS AND NOMINATIONS
The Provost and Executive Vice President for Academic Affairs will demonstrate an admirable work ethic, authenticity, and integrity. To assure best consideration, applications and nominations should be received by March 26, 2021. The application should include a letter of interest addressing the qualities described (not more than 3 pages); a current résumé (or curriculum vitae); and the names of at least five professional references with each person's position, office or home address, e-mail address, and telephone numbers. References will not be contacted without prior authorization from the applicant. The new Provost will assume office by or before August 2021.
The search is being assisted by James McCormick, firstname.lastname@example.org, 651-238-5188, and Janice Fitzgerald, email@example.com, 717-580-0663, AGB Search. Nominations and applications should be sent electronically (MS Word or PDF Format) to firstname.lastname@example.org. Additional important UNI information may be found at https://provost-search.uni.edu/.
UNI actively seeks to enhance diversity and is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. The University encourages applications from persons of color, women, individuals living with disabilities, and protected veterans. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, color, creed, disability, gender identity, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, or any other basis protected by federal and/or state law.
Apply for Provost and Executive Vice President for Academic Affairs
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly
More searches like this
- Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Cedar Falls
- Academic Affairs Not specified Full Time jobs in Cedar Falls
- Chief Academic Officers & Vice Presidents Not specified Full Time jobs in Cedar Falls
- Executive Not specified Full Time jobs in Cedar Falls
- Provosts Not specified Full Time jobs in Cedar Falls