Data Platform Engineer
The Data Platform Engineer will be a key member of the University of Colorado Boulder Data Lake product team, focused on architecting, developing, and operating a campus-wide data lake in AWS. This role will design systems and tools that comprise the service and establish processes for ongoing support, maintenance, and documentation. This position will be intimately familiar with the Data Lake product and will work to ensure the availability of the service by understanding all layers of the product and working directly with customers. Additionally, this position will liaise with the IT Service Engineering team to maintain communities of practice between the Data Lake implementation and other implementations within OIT.
The University of Colorado Boulder is committed to building a culturally diverse community of faculty, staff, and students dedicated to contributing to an inclusive campus environment. We are an Equal Opportunity employer, including veterans and individuals with disabilities.
Who We Are
The Office of Information Technology (OIT) is a dynamic organization, filled with energetic staff and students who aim to serve the campus and contribute to student success while supporting the University’s academic, research and service missions. We’re located in the heart of the beautiful CU Boulder campus. See what OIT is all about by watching our This is OIT
Based on our departmental goals and our commitment to diversity and inclusive excellence, OIT particularly welcomes applications from candidates whose knowledge, skills, and abilities and desire to contribute to an inclusive campus environment will help us achieve our vision of a diverse and inclusive community.
What Your Key Responsibilities Will Be
Data Platform Engineer:
- Design, implement, and support the Data Lake product, creating systems and tools to enable the scalability and security of the local and AWS cloud infrastructure (especially Athena, Glue, Lambda, S3, and Redshift).
- This includes facilities for copying data via a wide range of sources and protocols, storing data to optimize cost, space, and multi-tenant access, and presenting it to campus stakeholders in a convenient, secure manner.
- Use Infrastructure-as-Code tooling to automate and secure the product, along with supporting data science applications in AWS.
- Develop custom APIs in Python and Typescript to drive self-service and integration of the product into the larger campus ecosystem.
- Some data engineering work in AWS Glue (Apache Spark) and an application like Apache NiFi will be expected, in collaboration with the Data Integration and Data Analytics teams, to assist with transformations and data quality.
- The product will evolve iteratively, using Agile methodology to meet the needs of consumers working in Data Governance, Analytics, and Integration. Data hosted by the Lake is sensitive in nature, so strong security practices must be built in and maintained at every step.
- Work closely with a product owner and wider stakeholder community to thoroughly understand the ongoing business needs of the product, and translate those needs into practical, reliable, and efficient architecture.
- Participate in 24/7 on-call support rotation responsible for ensuring the availability and integrity of the product and its supporting tools.
Evaluate Strategic and Potential Technologies:
- Investigate new technologies that support tactical and strategic objectives.
- Build, test, and evaluate new technologies to recommend on their applicability to key organizational and program objectives.
- Maintain proficiency and acquire new technical knowledge by reading technical journals, manuals, newsgroups and websites, attending seminars and conferences, participating in discussions with colleagues, and consulting with vendors and industry peers.
- Identify and elect training opportunities that provide support for common service areas or future technologies.
- Responsible for identifying personal and team opportunities for targeted or participatory continuous improvement and knowledge development in relevant service and support topics.
What You Should Know
- In this role you will participate in a formal on-call rotation with definitive response times; the likelihood of the on-call employee having to come on-site to respond/manage the issue/incident is low. When not on call, you will be expected to respond in a reasonable (though not definitive) amount of time when called outside working hours regarding issues and incidents that arise.
What We Can Offer
- Annual salary range for this position will be $90,000 to $110,000.
The University of Colorado offers excellent benefits , including medical, dental, retirement, paid time off, tuition benefit and ECO Pass. The University of Colorado Boulder is one of the largest employers in Boulder County and offers an inspiring higher education environment. Learn more about the University of Colorado Boulder .
Be Collaborative. Be Innovative. Be Boulder.
What We Require
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science or related field from an accredited institution or a combination of education and experience as detailed below may be substituted for the degree on a year-for-year basis.
- At least 3 years of experience deploying products using Amazon Web Services.
What You Will Need
- Ability to work independently and be proactive to ensure proper availability of systems/services.
- Ability to collaborate with colleagues to solve complex problems.
- Strong written and oral communication skills.
- Ability to develop relationships with senior, middle management and individual contributors in the UCB campus community.
- Effective interpersonal and organizational skills.
What We Would Like You To Have
- Experience with Node.js 12 with TypeScript, Python3.
- Experience with some of the following Amazon Web Services Technologies:
- Experience with Git version control.
- Exposure to Infrastructure as Code tools such as Pulumi, Terraform and CloudFormation.
- Exposure to Integration applications like Apache NiFi, Mulesoft, etc.
- Exposure to Data Governance applications like Collibra, Alation, Informatica Data Catalog, Data.World.
- Exposure to ETL with Python and Panda.
To apply, please submit the following materials:
- A current resume.
- A cover letter that specifically addresses how your background and experience align with the requirements, qualifications and responsibilities of the position.
You will not be asked to upload references at this time.
Please apply by March 3, 2021 for consideration.
Note: Application materials will not be accepted via email. For consideration, applications must be submitted through CU Boulder Jobs.
Posting Contact Information
Posting Contact Name: Boulder Campus Human Resources
Posting Contact Email: Recruiting@colorado.edu
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Not specified Full Time jobs in Boulder
- Science, Technology & Mathematics Not specified Full Time jobs in Boulder
- Computer Sciences & Technology Not specified Full Time jobs in Boulder
- Engineering Not specified Full Time jobs in Boulder
- Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Boulder