Financial and Tax Reporting Senior Accountant
The Campus Controller’s Office (CCO) at CU Boulder encourages applications for a Financial and Tax Reporting Senior Accountant! Reporting directly to the Associate Director, the Senior Accountant has a critical role and is responsible for sales and use tax, unrelated business income tax (UBIT), and excise tax reporting in the Financial and Tax Reporting unit within the Campus Controller’s Office (CCO) as well as assisting the Associate Director in the production of financial reports for executive leadership, recording transactions in accordance with generally accepted accounting principles, coordinating campus financial audits, implementing new reporting standards and guidance, Federal and State reporting, and providing customer support and training to campus users.
This position is responsible for leading tax reporting for CU Boulder, collaborating with the Associate Director on financial reporting, and working to continuously innovate and improve to keep pace with a rapidly changing, complex, and competitive university environment.
The University of Colorado Boulder is committed to building a culturally diverse community of faculty, staff, and students dedicated to contributing to an inclusive campus environment. We are an Equal Opportunity employer, including veterans and individuals with disabilities.
Who We Are
The Campus Controller's Office maintains and supports the university's fiscal responsibility through accurate financial accounting and reporting and in compliance with laws, regulations, policies/procedures and contract requirements for sponsored projects. We provide oversight, assistance and training in financial stewardship for the campus.
What Your Key Responsibilities Will Be
Financial and Tax Compliance/Reporting
- Submit CU Boulder monthly sales taxes and review departmental UBIT work papers to submit to the Office of the University Controller.
- Serve as the CU Boulder subject matter expert with regard to sales taxes and UBIT and provide guidance to CU Boulder departments with regard to tax compliance.
- Represent the CCO in cross functional teams to improve CU Boulder tax and reporting compliance.
- Assist the Associate Director in providing monthly, quarterly and annual financial reporting and analysis to executive leadership. This includes metrics, trend analysis and compliance and diagnostic reporting.
- Assist the Associate Director in providing all state and federal financial reporting including reconciling the campus financial data with the state system (CORE) and other ad hoc external reporting as vital.
- Assist the Associate Director in researching, coordinating, and implementing new financial reporting guidance including new GASB’s, State and/or Federal reporting for campus.
Financial and Tax Reporting Process Excellence (identifying, improving, maintaining processes, including metrics)
- Recommend proper accounting treatments by interpreting and applying Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP), Governmental Accounting Standards Board standards (GASB), National Association of College and University Business Officers (NACUBO) standards, Colorado Higher Education Standards, State Fiscal Rules, and Colorado Department of Administration (DOA) rules. Assess potential impact of new regulations on campus financial reporting.
- Proactively identify, recommend, and implement process improvements to address areas of concern.
- Enhance business systems and procedures as appropriate to ensure continued compliance with the applicable rules and requirements and to improve business processes, efficiency and service.
- Assist the Associate Director to achieve fiscal year end goals. This includes tracking requests, reviewing accuracy of supporting work-papers and ensuring goals are met.
- Participate and facilitate external audits/reviews performed by various sponsors. Coordinate with the Financial Business Services Compliance unit for the resolution of audits/reviews.
- Provide training to Finance and Business Strategy and departmental finance staff on reporting and tax compliance subjects.
University Engagement (engaging with and training campus staff)
- Work with CCO staff to enhance existing and develop new training courses for presentation to the campus community. Training is to ensure personnel have the knowledge and tools vital to appropriately align with GAAP, sponsor rules/regulations, and university policies/procedures.
- Increase engagement opportunities with university partners.
- Initiate and maintain meaningful communication and collaboration with departmental personnel and colleagues on other CU campuses and at the Office of the University Controller.
- Build and maintain effective, collaborative working relationships with peers across campus to ensure services to CCO’s clients are effective and provide exceptional value.
- Prepare financial information for diverse audiences including executive leadership, external reporting agencies, and campus constituents. This may include presentations, narratives and graphics. Financial information should be consumable by audience and requires the ability to develop reports ranging from high level summaries to detailed transactions.
Development (developing, retaining, recognizing our staff)
- Proactively seek opportunities for professional development and training for self/unit and develop new skills.
- Provide suggestions for growth and development of the Financial and Tax Reporting unit
Infrastructure Enhancement (tech requirements, system upgrades & brand identity)
- Actively manage technology for the department and campus where applicable. Partner with CCO’s Associate Directors for the implementation of department, campus, or system-wide upgrades. This includes participation in design sessions, provide feedback to developers, recommend and/or deliver training to users, and provide support to the campus community in areas of need.
- Provide recommendations to manage space and/or technology for the department where applicable.
What We Can Offer
The hiring pay range for this position is $52,000 to $62,000.
The University of Colorado offers excellent benefits , including medical, dental, retirement, paid time off, tuition benefit and ECO Pass. The University of Colorado Boulder is one of the largest employers in Boulder County and offers an inspiring higher education environment. Learn more about the University of Colorado Boulder .
Be Ambitious. Be Strategic. Be Boulder.
What We Require
- A bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university with a major in Accounting or related field.
- Two years of accounting experience including experience working with tax reporting.
- Equivalent combination of education and experience may substitute.
What You Will Need
- Knowledge of tax regulations and generally accepted accounting principles.
- Ability to work and make decisions independently and proactively address issues in collaboration with senior management.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Proven track record as a collaborator and problem solver with all levels of the organization.
- Demonstrated strong customer orientation.
What We Would Like You To Have
- Fund accounting experience.
- Experience participating in financial statement audits.
- Experience with sales taxes, UBIT, and excise taxes.
- Proven proficiency with computer software, particularly PeopleSoft Financials and Microsoft Office Suite.
- Demonstrated experience working with sophisticated data sets and reporting systems.
To apply, please submit the following materials:
- A current resume.
- A cover letter that specifically addresses how your background and experience align with the requirements, qualifications and responsibilities of the position.
You will not be asked to upload references at this time.
Please apply by 3/7/2021 for consideration.
Note: Application materials will not be accepted via email. For consideration, applications must be submitted through CU Boulder Jobs.
Posting Contact Information
Posting Contact Name: Boulder Campus Human Resources
Posting Contact Email: email@example.com
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Not specified Full Time jobs in Boulder
- Business & Management Not specified Full Time jobs in Boulder
- Accounting & Finance Not specified Full Time jobs in Boulder
- Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Boulder
- Business & Administrative Affairs Not specified Full Time jobs in Boulder