INFORMATION SECURITY ENGINEER
Join our growing information security team at Ithaca College! As an Information Security Engineer you'll work with others in security and IT to enhance our preventative and detection systems and capabilities. We have a great tool set and supportive partners across the institution.
Under the general direction of the Information Security Officer, the Information Security Engineer works as part of a team to implement, configure, and manage leading commercial and open-source security tools and controls to prevent, detect, and reduce the impact of attacks against the college. This position focuses on technical aspects of IT security, including authentication and dynamic access control, web and application security, cloud application and infrastructure security, endpoint security, vulnerability management, network and host-based firewalls, and intrusion detection and prevention capabilities. The Office of Information Security is responsible for the security of the college’s information resources, as well as identity and access management, and the campus card access and security camera systems.
The Information Security Engineer supports and is supported by other members of the security and access management team, others in the IT department, and our students, faculty, staff, vendors, and service providers to implement appropriate and reasonable security protections for Ithaca College.
This position reports to the Information Security Officer and has no supervisory responsibilities for staff but may supervise student employees.
Duties may include but are not limited to the following. Other duties may be assigned.
1. Develop and maintain deep technical knowledge of security threats and protections related to network equipment, endpoint and server systems and software, other connected devices, websites and applications, and cloud services.
2. Configure and support identity and access management technologies, including multi-factor and certificate-based user and device authentication, federation, public key infrastructure (PKI), conditional access, and privileged access management.
3. Design and manage firewall and intrusion detection and prevention policies, for network, host, and hypervisor-based firewall systems.
4. Implement and support protections against known and novel malware and other threats to client and server systems. Technologies include endpoint security/anti-virus software and features like attack-surface reduction, exploit protection, and application control.
5. Implement and support cloud security capabilities, including cloud access security broker (CASB), information protection, data loss prevention, and email encryption.
6. Work with system and application owners and technical staff to develop security standards and configuration baselines.
7. Perform threat and vulnerability assessments on networks, systems, web sites, and applications, and work with staff and faculty to eliminate vulnerabilities found or otherwise mitigate associated risks. Make security recommendations related to new and existing information systems, applications, and services.
8. Implement, manage, and use on-premises and cloud-based security information and event management (SIEM), threat intelligence, and security orchestration automation and response (SOAR) systems and services. Identify additional logs and other information needed, integrate with various systems, and create queries, dashboards, alerts, and workflows. Perform threat hunting and incident detection, assessment, and response.
9. As part of the Incident Response Team, assist the Information Security Officer with incident response activities, including initial assessments, escalations, and coordination with legal and service providers, and law enforcement.
10. Manage projects related to security and access management.
11. Develop, analyze, and present scheduled and ad hoc reports, and make recommendations based on the data from various sources.
12. Develop and maintain security documentation.
13. Apply broad technical background and the visibility provided by security technologies to support various troubleshooting efforts by others in IT.
14. Develop and demonstrate a multicultural awareness and contribute to cultivating an inclusive, diverse, and respectful College community. Demonstrate civil and inclusive behavior when interacting with staff, faculty, students and visitors to the College. Promote a flexible, collaborative and inclusive work and living environment and engage in educational opportunities to increase awareness and understanding of diversity and inclusion.
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent experience and a minimum of 4 years’ experience in information security, systems administration, network engineering, and/or other technical support. Equivalent experience may include a combination of education, training, security certification, and directly-related technical experience.
- Strong technical understanding of information security; strong technical knowledge of Microsoft Windows, Apple OS X, and/or Linux operating systems; strong technical knowledge of how systems communicate across networks
- Strong written and verbal communication skills and interpersonal skills, including the ability to communicate effectively on technical issues with non-technical personnel; and demonstrated ability to work both independently and collaboratively and across organizational boundaries
- Technical security certifications, such as GIAC
- Work experience in a higher education environment
- Experience with a variety of contemporary security technologies and applications and enterprise management systems
HIRING RANGE: $80,000 - $88,000
Most of the work of the incumbent is carried out within a generally accessible, safe, indoor environment. The incumbent will be required to operate a personal computer and associated equipment as well as other office equipment used in the day-to-day office operations. The incumbent will be required to attend meetings, workshops and conferences on and off campus during and outside of normal business hours. Working remotely is a possibility for this position. The incumbent will be required to respond to technical emergencies both during and outside of normal business hours.
ABOUT ITHACA COLLEGE:
As an employee at Ithaca College, you’ll get much more than a competitive salary and the traditional advantages. We pride ourselves on providing our benefit-eligible employees with the most comprehensive benefits possible, including work/life balance, generous paid time off policies, career-enhancing trainings, employee and dependent tuition assistance, and opportunities to give back to the community. Beyond benefits, you’ll enjoy the kind of uniquely rewarding work environment that can only be found in a vibrant college community.
To apply, please submit cover letter, resume and list of three professional references.
Visa sponsorship is not provided for this position.
Ithaca College is committed to building a diverse academic community and encourages members of underrepresented groups to apply. Experience that contributes to the diversity of the college is appreciated.