Head Coach, Men's Basketball - Division of Intercollegiate Athletics (4365)
Northern Illinois University, member of the Mid-American Conference and sponsor of 17 Division I sports programs, is seeking applications for the position of Head Men’s Basketball Coach. This is a full-time, 12-month position with benefits. This successful candidate will be responsible for the organization, management, administration, and coaching of a Division I men’s basketball program, in conjunction with other department responsibilities.
Duties and Responsibilities (generally)
To provide an overall positive educational environment for our Student-Athletes conducive to learning, athletic development, social growth, and preparing them for life beyond college. Supervise, in conjunction with the athletic tutoring and advising program, the total academic progress of the team implementing corrective action plans through appropriate staff.
Preparation and conduct of all team-related activities including skill instruction, sport strategy and competitive opportunities.
Perform team-related administrative duties such as budget, scheduling, travel arrangements, etc.
Monitor and maintain the discipline and conduct of student-athletes to support the image and reputation of the department and university. Responsible for the development, safety and conduct of the student-athletes within the Men’s Basketball program.
Supervise the recruitment strategy to attract top level, Division I prospects including identification, assessment, campus visits and implementation of campus resources.
Selection, oversight, development, and retention of staff (assistants, graduate assistants and managers).
Perform both direct and indirect public relations functions including promotion, fund raising, public speaking, community events, and through camps and/or clinics.
Assist with departmental needs as requested; Cash handling responsibilities — $5,000 – $10,000 annually; When practical under the circumstances, intercollegiate athletic staff is encouraged to voluntarily attend all athletic events to promote audience participation and support for NIU team efforts.
Minimum Required Qualifications for this position
• Bachelor’s Degree.
• Five academic years coaching experience in basketball at an NCAA Division I, II, or III institution.
• Demonstrated knowledge of and adherence to the governing rules and regulations at the Division I, II or III level.
• Demonstrated success in recruiting and retaining quality student-athletes at an NCAA Division I, II, or III institution.
Specialty Factors (Additional Required Qualifications)
Education and Experience Preferred
• Master’s degree
• Successful competitive playing or coaching experience in basketball at the NCAA Division I level
• Experience in fundraising and donor relationships.
List the knowledge, skills, and abilities critical to the performance of this position.
• Ability to communicate and relate well to student-athletes.
• Ability to effectively communicate through oral, written, and electronic forms.
• Advanced knowledge in coaching methodology, program design and development, program strategic planning, and budgeting.
• Skills and abilities to perform as an organized, self-starter, and able to handle expeditiously, accurately, and confidentially the rapid receipt of communications from all sources—written, email, voice mail, one-on-one with attention to detail; able to act on own initiative while exercising reasonable judgment.
• Ability to support time-based requests; able to function effectively in a multi-tasking, fast-paced environment with deadlines, frequent interruptions, and some interpersonal pressure.
• Demonstrate strong interpersonal and communication skills and the ability to work effectively and respectfully with a wide range of constituencies in a diverse community.
• Knowledge of budgetary procedures; strong organizational skills with attention to detail in all areas of responsibility.
• Ability to effectively and professionally execute the essential functions of this position with proven capabilities in establishing appropriate professional rapport, communicating with courtesy and tact, accurately determine other’s needs, collecting necessary information, and follow-through when requested.
• Ability to respond to common inquiries from college faculty and staff, regulatory agencies, vendors, regional business community, and others as may be necessary.
Commensurate with experience, education, and internal equity; position includes a robust benefits package to eligible applicants
Priority Review Date
Special Instructions to Applicants
To apply for this position, interested applicants should email the following application materials:
• Letter of application which addresses each of the qualifications listed above.
• Resume of professional accomplishments and experiences.
• Names with contact information of three current professional references.
Northern Illinois University invites nominations and applications or expressions of interest to be submitted to the search firm assisting the University. Confidential review of materials will begin immediately and continue until the appointment is made.
Send application materials by Feburary 24 to:
Daniel Parker, Vice President and Managing Director
DeLaina Jordan, Associate
Parker Executive Search
email@example.com | firstname.lastname@example.org
Link to Department Homepage
In accordance with applicable statutes and regulations, NIU is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, religion, age, physical and mental disability, marital status, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, political affiliation, or any other factor unrelated to professional qualifications, and will comply with all applicable federal and state statutes, regulations and orders pertaining to nondiscrimination, equal opportunity and affirmative action.
The following person has been designated to handle inquiries regarding the non-discrimination policies:
Ethics and Compliance Officer, Title IX Coordinator
Health Services 230
Is Background Check Required
In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification document form upon hire.
NIU remains committed to ensuring that its recruitment and application procedures include full opportunities for applicants with disabilities. Employment opportunities will not be denied to anyone because of the need to make accommodations for a person’s disability during either the application or interview process. An applicant who believes they require an accommodation to participate in the employment process due to a disability may request that accommodation through the Accommodation Request Form . For further assistance, please contact the office of Affirmative Action, Equal Opportunity and Education ( AAEOE ) at email@example.com .
Clery Act Information
NIU provides information regarding campus security, personal and fire safety, including topics such as: crime prevention, emergency response procedures and crime reporting policies, in addition to crime and fire statistics for the most recent three calendar years. The Annual Security Report containing security and safety information is available at www.safety.niu.edu/clery or by contacting the University Police Department and Public Safety Department at 815-753-9628 to receive a hard copy. The Annual Fire Safety Report is available at www.niu.edu/clery/fire_report.pdf or by contacting the Environmental Health and Safety Department at 815-753-0404 to receive a hard copy.
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- Resume/Curriculum Vitae
- Letter of Application Describing Interest and Qualifications
- List of at least 3 References
- Military Discharge Documents ONLY (DD214/DD215/NGB22/DD256)
- Cover Letter
- Transcripts (unofficial with official required at hire)
- Transcripts #2 (unofficial with official required at hire)
- Transcripts #3 (unofficial with official required at hire)