Vice President for Finance and Business Operations and Treasurer
Vice President for Finance and Business Operationsand Treasurer for Wayne State University
Wayne State University welcomes applications for the Vice President for Finance and Business Operations and Treasurer. The vice president serves as the Chief Financial and Business Officer for the university. The selected vice president will be a strategic, critical and creative thinker who is skilled at diplomacy, collaboration and consultation, with proven broad-based leadership and management skills.
Wayne State University, is a nationally recognized public, urban research university in Detroit and is Michigan’s only urban research university. Wayne State is known internationally for its contributions to the sciences. With its commitment to educational opportunity, research and community enrichment, the university serves a critical role in Michigan’s higher education landscape. It holds the highest Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of Teaching designations in both research and community engagement. Just as the city of Detroit is undergoing a renaissance, the university itself is in a time of significant transformation, strengthening its ability to serve students from Detroit and around the world.
Wayne State’s campus, located in the University Cultural Center and Historic District in the heart of Detroit’s Midtown neighborhood, encompasses approximately 200 acres, and the university operates six satellite campuses throughout the state. The university enrolls more than 26,000 students, making it the third largest among Michigan’s 15 public universities and one of the 50 largest in the nation. Wayne State boasts the most diverse student body among Michigan’s public universities, with students from nearly every U.S. state and 70 countries. Wayne State has more than 2,500 faculty members — of whom approximately 1,600 are full-time — and nearly 4,000 staff members. Moody’s has assigned Wayne State’s General Revenue Bond a rating of Aa3.
The university’s comprehensive academic offerings are divided among 13 schools and colleges. Students attending the School of Medicine have access to a variety of educational resources through 11 affiliate hospitals, including the Detroit Medical Center Hospital, Henry Ford Health System and the Barbara Ann Karmanos Cancer Institute. Such diverse partnerships enable students in the university’s health profession schools to gain knowledge and experience in a variety of disciplines.
The National Science Foundation consistently ranks Wayne State’s medical sciences, physics, chemistry, physical science and psychology programs among the top 100 nationwide. The university’s annual research expenditures are nearly $239 million. It is committed to furthering opportunities for students in STEM disciplines. In 2020, Wayne State opened its STEM Innovation Learning Center, which will play a crucial role in achieving the university’s vision for STEM education and research. The new STEM Center will also help support K-12 students from the greater Detroit area with experiences and exposure to hands-on, creative learning to ignite their interest in science and technology.
Wayne State’s advancement of its research mission is augmented by collaboration with the University of Michigan and Michigan State University in the University Research Corridor, an alliance that brings in 94% of the state’s federal research dollars each year. Wayne State also has a thriving research and technology park called TechTown Detroit and numerous partnerships with government, industry, health care and business.
The vice president will be a key leader in the development and achievement of Wayne State’s next strategic plan. The vice president will also play a vital role in leading the implementation of the recently approved Campus Master Plan, the RCM-based budget model set to go live in fiscal year 2022, and a revised chart of accounts, as Wayne State looks to continue to grow enrollment; improve the physical environment – and, consequently, the student experience and research enterprise – through renovations and new construction; elevating its research profile and funding; generating revenue through strategic, creative and innovative use of Wayne State assets; and continuing to transform human resources.
The ideal candidates will possess (but should not be limited to) the following:
- Experience as a seasoned executive with an extensive financial and business background, including financial and investment management, general administration, facilities management, contract negotiations and administration, short/long term operational planning, and strategic planning.
- Strong knowledge of higher education.
- Experience in collaborating with and managing large, complex and decentralized organizations; institutions of higher education; government; health care; or similar nonprofit organizations.
- Knowledge of building construction; plant operations; utilities; and sustainability practices, including recycling, green building practices and energy conservation.
- Proven leadership and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to foster an environment that promotes strong customer service, organizational growth, and the ability to mentor and develop others.
- Ability to build strong and collaborative working relationships with internal and external stakeholders.
- Knowledge of challenges and solutions for an urban-serving research university.
- An advanced degree, preferably an M.B.A. or a C.P.A., is required.
For a full Search Prospectus, and/or to express interest, send your CV, and letter of application describing your relevant experiences and interest in the position to: WSUCFO@anthemexecutive.com
Wayne State University is an affirmative action/equal employment opportunity employer that complies with all applicable federal and state laws regarding nondiscrimination and affirmative action. Wayne State University is committed to a policy of nondiscrimination and equal opportunity for all persons regardless of race, sex, color, religion, national origin, age, disability, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
Apply for Vice President for Finance and Business Operations and Treasurer
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly
More searches like this
- Administrative Executive Not specified Full Time jobs in Detroit
- Business & Administrative Affairs Executive Not specified Full Time jobs in Detroit
- Financial Affairs Executive Not specified Full Time jobs in Detroit
- Executive Executive Not specified Full Time jobs in Detroit
- Other Executive Executive Not specified Full Time jobs in Detroit