Deputy General Counsel
Deputy General Counsel
Thank you for your interest in Truckee Meadows Community College. If you need assistance or have questions regarding the application process, please contact Human Resources at (775) 673-7168 or email@example.com.
Truckee Meadows Community College (TMCC), Western Nevada College (WNC), Desert Research Institute (DRI) and Great Basin College (GBC) are seeking applicants for a full-time Deputy General Counsel.
1. Juris Doctor (JD) degree from an accredited institution.
1. Legal experience in education and or government entities in complex civil litigation and employment law matters and investigations of personnel matters.
2. Three years of substantive legal experience or an equivalent combination thereof.
3. An active license, in good standing, to practice law in the State of Nevada.
Candidates must exhibit an appreciation of, a sensitivity to, and respect for a diverse academic environment, inclusive of students, faculty, and staff of varying social, economic, cultural, ideological and ethnic backgrounds. Teaching and workload assignments are scheduled throughout the calendar year, and may require evening and weekend obligations at one or more college locations.
1. Exercise professional judgment based upon thorough research and in consultation with the General Counsel. Any error by the incumbent could have significant fiscal, legal, and political consequences to NSHE.
2. Issuance of timely advice and counsel. The application of changing laws and regulations, especially as applicable to institutions of higher education, to changing facts requires a high level of knowledge, experience and reasoned judgment.
3. Conduct of litigation. Requires immediate decisions and actions without the ability to consult with colleagues or supervisors.
4. Timely production of written legal documents. Documents are subject to scrutiny by judges, opposing counsel, the public and the press.
5. Conduct personnel investigations regarding complaints of administrators, faculty, staff and students.
6. Effective administrative and management skills, strong computer, written, oral, and interpersonal communication skills.
7. A high degree of organizational skills for multi-tasking and tracking of multiple projects simultaneously.
8. Legal practice skills relating to contract drafting and interpretation, establishment and enforcement of policies and procedures, and internal investigations and employment law issues.
9. Look at all aspects of a problem, both practical and legal, and arrive at an effective solution.
10. Interact with a wide range of individuals.
11. Collaborate with other institutional counsel within the System.
12. Work in a professional, ethical and collegial manner with faculty and students in the best interests of the colleges and the people they serve.
13. Comply with published college policies and procedures.
14. Other duties as assigned.
$78,600. Salaries are subject to any related directives from the Board of Regents and Nevada Legislature.
All of the following documents must be attached to this application in order to be given consideration.
- Cover Letter
As a part of the application process all applicants may be asked via email to provide additional supplemental materials or information as a part of the committee screening process.
Posting Close Date
Note to Applicant
Applicants should fully describe their qualifications and experience with specific reference to each of the minimum and preferred qualifications. Search committees will use this information to determine that applicants meet minimum qualifications as listed in the job announcement.
This posting will close at 12:00 am on the date listed above. The posting will no longer be available to apply to after 11:59 pm the day prior.
All documents, including unofficial transcripts for academic positions, must be received prior to the closing date listed on the job announcement.
Employment is contingent upon successful completion of a criminal background check upon hire.
As part of the hiring process, applicants for positions in the Nevada System of Higher Education may be required to demonstrate the ability to perform job-related tasks.
Schedules are subject to change based on organizational needs.
To apply, visit https://nshe.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/TMCC-External/job/TMCC---Truckee-Meadows-Community-College---Dandini-Campus/Deputy-General-Counsel_R0123860-1
Truckee Meadows Community College is a comprehensive educational institution located in Reno, Nevada and is part of the Nevada System of Higher Education. TMCC’s five instructional sites and numerous community locations serves an increasingly diverse population of more than 11,000 students each semester. TMCC, an HSI (Hispanic Serving Institution), is a progressive institution that celebrates inclusion and diversity while supporting core themes of academic excellence, student success, and access to lifelong learning.
A vital leader in the New Nevada’s growing economy, TMCC is located near the beautiful Sierra Nevada Mountains in an environment rich with a thriving arts, culture, food scene, abundant outdoor activities, and a family-friendly local community. It is only a 3.5 hour drive to San Francisco, CA, a 40-minute drive to Lake Tahoe, and within easy driving distance of four national parks (Great Basin, Yosemite, Lassen, and Death Valley). For more information, please go to www.tmcc.edu or view our virtual tour at tour.tmcc.edu.
The Nevada System of Higher Education (NSHE) is committed to providing a place of work and learning free of discrimination on the basis of a person’s age, disability, whether actual or perceived by others (including service-connected disabilities), gender (including pregnancy related conditions), military status or military obligations, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetic information, national origin, race, or religion.