ASSISTANT TO THE VICE PRESIDENT
Assistant to the Vice President
Arizona State University
Enrollment Services seeks an experienced and energetic professional capable of delivering high-quality and fast-paced support to the Vice President for Enrollment Management and Services, and to the division staff at large.
The focus of this job centers around producing timely results that are high quality and accurate. Benefiting from an analytical, inquiring and critical mind, this job requires imagination and strong problem-solving skills, but with a strong technical orientation. The job requires an ability to deal with abstract concepts, systems and ideas and all of that in an organized and self-disciplined way. It also requires that serious consideration be given to all possibly related facts and potential problems. This job demands deep knowledge and expertise and to do it successfully depends on understanding detailed information. Intellectual confidence is important in this job and to do it well requires close, hands-on involvement, careful follow-up and very disciplined, and limited, delegation. This job is technically demanding and ‘strictly business’, with little need for influential ‘people interactions.’ Central to this job is the need to weigh all decisions carefully and thoroughly, based on expertise in order to avoid unpredictable risk. Getting the job done and getting it done right are the two, equal, drivers for this job.
$49,400 - $64,000 per year; DOE
- Serves as the division-wide assistant for the day-to-day operation of a nearly 400-person division, requiring an in-depth understanding of its organizational structure, culture and the university’s policies.
- Keeps abreast of the Vice President’s email inboxes, priorities and status of projects, and follows up on pending matters.
- Handles numerous high-priority projects at once.
- Writes correspondence on behalf of the Vice President using best practices and judgement for typical division inquiries as well as non-routine, unique escalations and student emergencies.
- Performs a wide variety of detail-oriented administrative duties requiring professionalism, tact, diplomacy, discretion, confidentiality and sound judgement.
- Maintains the Vice President’s complex daily schedule, and makes or overseas travel arrangements, itineraries and large group meetings.
- Keeps high-quality and pertinent scheduling cadence within Outlook, using the calendar as a log of documents and meeting topics and details.
- Creates agendas and presentations for meetings and events, and collects documents from partners to ensure the Vice President is prepared ahead of time.
- Plans and delivers well-curated division-wide events for staff working with multiple vendors, and supervises onsite event execution.
- Coordinates arrangements for hosting of meetings, programs, retreats, and guest speakers, including necessary technology and technical expertise.
- Manages social media accounts for Vice President, which includes planning and curating social media content and posting on Twitter and LinkedIn.
Bachelor's degree in Business Administration or a related field and five (5) years of experience in administrative support; OR, Any equivalent combination of experience and/or education from which comparable knowledge, skills and abilities have been achieved.
- Experience supporting a senior-level executive in a higher education institution.
- Experience managing complex executive schedules and comfortability in making best judgement calls on behalf of an executive
- Experience working in a fast-paced, high pressure environment.
- Experience in work that requires setting priorities and being organized.
- Experience adapting to change quickly while demonstrating flexibility, diplomacy, discretion and confidentiality.
- Experience in working independently as well as working in a team environment.
- Experience tracking an executive’s priorities and taking independent initiative to stay current on the status of projects with both internal and external audiences on active and pending matters.
- Experience and comfortability tracking, reviewing and drafting mail correspondence on behalf of the executive.
- Experience creating PowerPoint presentations following organizational branding guidelines and clearly delivering a message.
- Experience creating Excel visuals and charts using raw data.
- Experience interpreting raw data and comfortability in using Excel data and formula features.
- Experience researching and assembling reports, agendas, records and materials.
- Experience editing and proofing communication materials as well as materials provided to executive-level offices, for accuracy, spelling, grammar and content.
- Experience working in a large, complex and fluid organization and navigating both centralized and decentralized department structures.
- Experience managing a high-volume of scheduling, calendaring and travel arrangements.
- Experience juggling multiple priorities and swift deadlines.
- Experience serving as a liaison to internal and external stakeholders.
- Skill in establishing rapport and maintaining effective professional relationships.
- Skill in computer software (Microsoft Office, travel booking, database, accounting).
- Skill in analyzing and comprehending complex topics and issues.
- Skill in dealing with confidential and sensitive information.
- Ability to communicate verbally and in writing, effectively, comfortably and with certainty.
- Activities are performed in an environmentally controlled office setting subject to extended periods of sitting, keyboarding and manipulating a computer mouse
- Frequently required to stand for varying lengths of time and walk moderate distances to perform work
- Frequent bending, reaching, lifting, pushing and pulling up to 25 pounds
- Regular activities require ability to quickly change priorities which may include and/or are subject to resolution of conflicts
- Clearly communicate to perform essential functions
In support of the university mission and goals, the Division of Enrollment Services creates, promotes and institutionalizes the broadest possible awareness of ASU as the New American University by utilizing a variety of data-informed strategies to enroll a diverse student population representative of the vision of Arizona State University. Enrollment Services brings discipline to the formulation of enrollment strategy and the refinement of enrollment processes, and is an effective collaborator with our college and school colleagues and other enrollment partners in other divisions throughout the university. The Division of Enrollment Services is composed of Admission Services, Financial Aid and Scholarship Services, Fiscal Services, University Registrar Services, Enrollment Services Communications, the Pat Tillman Veterans Center, and the International Student and Scholar Center.
Arizona State University is a new model for American higher education, an unprecedented combination of academic excellence, entrepreneurial energy and broad access. This New American University is a single, unified institution comprising four differentiated campuses positively impacting the economic, social, cultural and environmental health of the communities it serves. Its research is inspired by real world application blurring the boundaries that traditionally separate academic disciplines. ASU serves more than 80,000 students in metropolitan Phoenix, Arizona, the nation's fifth largest city. ASU champions intellectual and cultural diversity, and welcomes students from all fifty states and more than one hundred nations across the globe.
ASU is a tobacco-free university. For details visit https://wellness.asu.edu/explore-wellness/body/alcohol-and-drugs/tobacco
Arizona State University is a VEVRAA Federal Contractor and an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other basis protected by law.
Notice of Availability of the ASU Annual Security and Fire Safety Report
In compliance with federal law, ASU prepares an annual report on campus security and fire safety programs and resources. ASU’s Annual Security and Fire Safety Report is available online at https://www.asu.edu/police/PDFs/ASU-Clery-Report.pdf. You may request a hard copy of the report by contacting the ASU Police Department at 480-965-3456.
Relocation Assistance – For information about schools, housing child resources, neighborhoods, hospitals, community events, and taxes, visit https://cfo.asu.edu/relocation-services.
ASU conducts pre-employment screening which may include verification of work history, academic credentials, licenses, and certifications.
Background Check Statement
ASU conducts pre-employment screening for all positions which includes a criminal background check, verification of work history, academic credentials, licenses, and certifications. Employment is contingent upon successful passing of the background check.
Fingerprint Check Statement
This position is considered safety/security sensitive and will include a fingerprint check. Employment is contingent upon successful passing of the fingerprint check.
Instructions to Apply
Application deadline is 3:00PM Arizona time on the date indicated.
Please include all employment information in month/year format (e.g., 6/88 to 8/94), job title, job duties and name of employer for each position.
Resume should clearly illustrate how prior knowledge and experience meets the Minimum and Desired qualifications of this position.
ASU does not pay for travel expenses associated with interviews, unless otherwise indicated.
Only electronic applications are accepted for this position.
IMPORTANT NOTE: What is the meaning of “equivalent combination” in the minimum qualifications? It means one year of higher education or 24 credit hours, is equal to one year of experience. For example, a four year Bachelor’s degree is equal to four years of experience.
To apply please go to www.asu.edu/asujobs/ see Req Id# 65965BR or go directly to: https://sjobs.brassring.com/TGnewUI/Search/home/HomeWithPreLoad?partnerid=25620&siteid=5494&PageType=JobDetails&jobid=4190667