Vice President for Institutional Diversity
Vice President for Institutional Diversity
University of Kentucky
As a direct report to the President of the university, the Vice President for Institutional Diversity leads the Office of Institutional Diversity to implement diversity, equity and inclusion initiatives to ensure alignment with the university’s strategic plan. This position will serve as an integrating partner with campus leaders, faculty, staff, students and external constituencies. The Vice President for Institutional Diversity will proactively design and implement plans, programs and activities that provide rich diversity-related experiences to ensure university members hold diversity, equity and inclusion as core values to be collectively practiced. This role is responsible for leading a continuing change where understanding and acceptance of all individuals will be deeply embedded throughout our campus culture.
A faculty appointment may be considered if the selected candidate’s prior work history, skills and qualifications are such to warrant this consideration.
Role of the Vice President for Institutional Diversity
- Ensure diversity and inclusivity objectives align with and are in support of the university’s strategic plan
- Develop, communicate and implement action plans to achieve strategic initiatives
- Set clear expectations and metrics; provide appropriate support; and create opportunities to define, assess and promote diversity and inclusive excellence in education, employment, student experiences and campus culture
- Act as a visionary agent in the development and implementation of innovative and effective initiatives that foster an inclusive and diverse campus community and culture
- Create a more fully integrated collaborative effort among the areas within the Office of Institutional Diversity
- Utilize knowledge and expertise gained in historical and contemporary research and scholarship in issues of diversity, equity, inclusion and belonging in application of best practices
- Establish productive working relationships with senior executives to lead, collaborate and implement the institutional vision for diversity and inclusion – key executives include: Provost, Vice President for Research, Executive Vice President for Finance and Administration, Executive Vice President for Health Affairs, and the Vice President for Student Success
- Work with academic units, college Diversity and Inclusion Officers, councils and committees, and other key stakeholders to advance diversity, equity and inclusion throughout the campus community
- Collaborate and act as a creative resource throughout the institution for diversity-related initiatives, activities, materials, advice and counsel
- Serve as an expert resource and consultant to students, employees and partners at all levels of the institution for equity, diversity and inclusion-related initiatives
- Provide oversight on innovative inclusive excellence programs that foster collaborative programming and partnerships among groups, centers, programs, and/or initiatives
- Ensure the office fosters a community of belonging and engagement that meets the needs of leadership, faculty, students and staff
- Foster and maintain collaborative partnerships with external stakeholders, such as local and state legislatures, nonprofit organizations and community organizations
- Implement campus climate surveys to assess the overall impact of all initiatives that address campus climate, and use the results of the survey to develop programs and initiatives to positively impact the campus community
Required education and experience
Terminal degree and a minimum of 5 years of experience working in the areas of diversity, equity, inclusion or inclusive excellence across various constituent groups within a complex higher education institution.
The Vice President for Institutional Diversity will possess experience developing effective diversity, equity and inclusion initiatives for faculty, students and staff, and have excellent interpersonal and written communication skills and abilities that inspire and influence others. The ideal candidate will be a proven diplomatic and collaborative leader who will bring relevant knowledge, expertise and experience to the academic community and have a demonstrated commitment to valuing and respecting diversity in administration, through scholarship or from work experiences that demonstrate a sophisticated understanding of how to navigate issues inherent to inclusion, equity and diversity within a complex institutional setting. The Vice President for Institutional Diversity must show evidence of being a visionary leader that is outcome and assessment-oriented with a keen focus on strategic management and program development, along with extensive knowledge about academic life, institutional diversity action plans, and campus climate surveys. This individual must consistently demonstrate and encourage a commitment to inclusive excellence, quality, exceptional service, productivity and continuous improvement. We are seeking a confident, highly motivated individual with a strong critical and analytical mindset and a demonstrated ability to influence change, make decisions and build collaborative partnerships and productive relationships.
To apply, please visit the UK Jobs site here: https://ukjobs.uky.edu/postings/318306
Application review will begin on March 14, 2021. This search is being led by UK’s Executive Search Service. For more information about the position, or to nominate an outstanding candidate, please contact Mary Beth Bracken at 859-257-3348 or via email at email@example.com.
The University of Kentucky is an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourages applications from veterans, individuals with disabilities, women, African Americans, and all minorities.