Delivery Driver I (Warehouse, Inventory, Mail, Records Assistant)
Are you interested in creating an amazing educational environment for students who are part of an equity driven community? Staff at Cabrillo College support quality programs and services to students that promote their diverse and evolving needs as they progress toward their individual educational goals. Come join us in our vision to improve the world, one student at a time!
This full-time, 12-months per year, Delivery Driver position drives College vehicles to pick up and deliver mail, supplies, equipment, materials, and other items; loads truck with small and large boxes and pieces of equipment; assists in warehouse and mail processing activities; and may support other College delivery needs.
The ideal candidate will share Cabrillo's commitment to educating its racially and socioeconomically diverse student population. Cabrillo College serves approximately 11,400 students per term, of which 44% are LatinX, 5% multi-ethnic, 2.75% Asian, 1.25% African-American, 1% Filipino, 0.25% American Indian or Alaskan Native, and 0.18% Pacific Islander as of Fall 2019. In 2006, Cabrillo College was designated a Hispanic-Serving Institution, reflecting the great responsibility that the College has to the educational attainment and economic well-being of the surrounding community.
As a classified staff member at Cabrillo College, you will join a vibrant community of professionals and educators working together to provide a positive educational environment where our students experience diverse academic and cultural perspectives.
Examples of Duties
- Drives College vehicles to pick up and deliver mail, supplies, equipment, materials, and other items of various size
- Develops, schedules and coordinates pickups, and deliveries involving mail and warehouse items
- Delivers a wide range of materials to sites, including Watsonville
- Picks up and delivers college mail at post office
- Assists in sorting mail
- Assists in tracking inventory, and processing and tracking duplication orders
- Utilizes a computer with various software including, email, word processing, spreadsheet, and databases
- Delivers materials to various sites on campus
- Obtains proper signatures as required for items such as purchase orders and transfer of equipment and forwards documents as appropriate
- Assists in large-scale bulk mailings as directed
- Establishes and maintains records of work performed
- Prepares and maintains documents for delivery and pick-up of equipment for repair to vendors
- Operates a variety of warehouse equipment including forklift, pallet jack, and hand truck
- Assists in other warehouse activities as required
- Assists in stocking, shelving and storing warehouse supplies, materials and equipment
- Fills stock requests
- Pack and deliver hazardous materials to various college locations
- Assists in the receiving of items in the warehouse
- Loads and unloads materials
- Performs related duties as required or assigned
Education and experience:
- Equivalent to graduation from high school AND
- One year experience in delivery work
- Safe lifting techniques
- Safe motor vehicle operations
- Laws, rules, and regulations related to assigned activities
- Basic math
- Standard office equipment, computers, and various software
- Safely drive College vehicles to pick up and deliver mail, supplies, equipment, materials, and other items,
- Assist in warehouse and mail activities as required
- Demonstrate sensitivity to and understanding of diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, and ethnic backgrounds of community college students and the community
- Maintain routine records
- Understand and follow oral and written directions
- Meet schedules and timelines
- Observe legal and defensive driving practices
- Learn shipping and receiving procedures
- Operate assigned equipment, such as forklift, pallet jack and hand truck, safely and efficiently
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships
- Operate a keyboard with sufficient skill to enter data into a computer and produce correspondence, using various software such as email, word processing, spreadsheet, and databases
- Possession of and ability to maintain a valid California driver's license and safe driving record during the course of employment
- Must work outdoors in a variety of weather conditions
- Must possess dexterity, stamina and physical strength to load and unload materials of various bulk and weight, including lifting materials and supplies weighing up to 70 pounds, and move heavier materials using handling equipment
- Must possess physical ability to stand for extended periods of time, bend, kneel and crouch, reach overhead, above the shoulders and horizontally, and work on ladders
- Must be willing to work days, and occasional evenings and weekends at on and off campus locations as the job requires
- Possession of a forklift operator certificate or have the ability to acquire certification within the first 5 months of employment
Starting Salary Range: $2,617 to $2,885 per month; maximum initial salary step placement on the classified salary schedule is step 3. Full-time assignment, 12 months per year. Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. with evenings and weekends as required. Position scheduled to begin as soon as possible, pending continued funding and Governing Board ratification. Salary is subject to proration based on beginning date of assignment.
Benefits: Our comprehensive benefits package includes medical, dental, life, short and long term, and vision (optional) insurance provided at a share of cost on a pretax basis, CalPERS Retirement and an Employee Assistance Program. Please see the Benefits link on the HR webpage for more information.
- Completed application
- Answer Supplemental Questions
Only completed applications with the above required documents will be reviewed by the committee. Application materials not required (including reference letters) for this position will not be reviewed. Remove personally identifiable information such as personal photos, social security number, birth date, age, and gender from your application materials. Expenses related to the recruitment process are the responsibility of the applicant. Cabrillo is unable to sponsor work visas. A position eligibility pool may be established in order to fill other full-time, part-time, or substitute assignments as needs arise.
A search committee will review and invite applicants for an interview. Meeting the posted requirements does not guarantee an interview. Selected applicants will be required to pass a bilingual/biliterate test prior to being invited for an interview. A written performance exercise and/or presentation may be a part of the interview, and finalists may be invited to return for a second interview. All notifications will be via email, and can also be accessed through your application profile.
Conditions of Employment
Selected candidates given a conditional offer of employment are required to submit tuberculosis screening clearance results, proof of eligibility to work in the United States, and present their Social Security card upon hire (for payroll purposes).
Cabrillo College is an equal opportunity employer and actively seeks a diverse pool of qualified applicants. The policy of the College is to encourage applications from all persons. No person shall be denied employment because of ethnicity or race, color, sex or gender, gender identity, gender expression, age, religion, marital status, disability, sexual orientation, national origin, medical conditions, status or protected veteran status.
Persons with disabilities who require reasonable accommodation to complete the employment process must notify Human Resources at (831) 479-6217.