Assistant/Associate Professor and Extension Specialist
Posting Number F0831P Working Title Assistant/Associate Professor and Extension Specialist Department FACS Foods and Nutrition About the University of Georgia
The University of Georgia ( UGA ), a land-grant and sea-grant university with statewide commitments and responsibilities is the state’s oldest, most comprehensive, and most diversified institution of higher education ( http://www.uga.edu/ ). UGA is currently ranked among the top 20 public universities in U.S. News & World Report. The University’s main campus is located in Athens, approximately 65 miles northeast of Atlanta, with extended campuses in Atlanta, Griffin, Gwinnett, and Tifton. UGA was founded in 1785 by the Georgia General Assembly as the first state-chartered University in the country. UGA employs approximately 1,800 full-time instructional faculty and more than 7,600 full-time staff. The University’s enrollment exceeds 36,000 students including over 27,500 undergraduates and over 8,500 graduate and professional students. Academic programs reside in 17 schools and colleges, as well as a medical partnership with Augusta University housed on the UGA Health Sciences Campus in Athens.
About the College/Unit/Department
The Department of Foods and Nutrition is one of four departments of the College of Family and Consumer
Sciences at the University of Georgia. The department has 25 faculty including 3
tenure-track Extension Specialists, 400 undergraduate students majoring in Nutritional Sciences, Dietetics, and
Culinary Science and Nutrition as well as 30 graduate students in the PhD and MS thesis graduate degree
programs and 40 in the non-thesis MS degree programs including the on-line MS degree program
College/Unit/Department website https://www.fcs.uga.edu/fdn Posting Type External Retirement Plan TRS or ORP Employment Type Employee Benefits Eligibility Benefits Eligible Underutilization Advertised Salary Commensurate with experience and qualifications. Anticipated Start Date 01/01/2022 Effective End Date (for Limited-Term postings) Job Posting Date 02/18/2021 Job Closing Date Open until filled Yes Special Instructions to Applicants
Applications completed by June 1, 2021 will be given full consideration; however, the search will remain open until the position is filled. The application packet must include a cover letter of interest that details how the applicant’s credentials and experience meet the needs of the position as well as responsibilities and qualifications detailed in the posting; a current curriculum vitae; and contact information for three references. References will not be contacted without further correspondence with the applicant. All applicant materials must be submitted to UGAJobs website: https://www.ugajobsearch.com/postings/185795.
Location of Vacancy Athens Area EEO Statement
The University of Georgia is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, ethnicity, age, genetic information, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation or protected veteran status. Persons needing accommodations or assistance with the accessibility of materials related to this search are encouraged to contact Central HR (email@example.com).
Classification Title Open Rank FLSA Faculty Rank Open Rank (Tenure Track) Contract Type Academic (9 mo.) Tenure Status Tenure Track Minimum Qualifications
Terminal degree appropriate for the discipline
Assistant/Associate Professor and Extension Specialist in Food Safety and Preservation (75% Extension and 25% Research) academic year appointment with 2 months summer salary as long as the appointment is 50% or greater in Extension in the Foods and Nutrition Department, College of Family and Consumer Sciences.
RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE :
• Provide leadership and training at the state, regional, and national level in the area of food safety and home food preservation
• Revise and update specific Extension agent trainings
• Provide leadership for county-based program planning, implementation and evaluation for county Extension agents conducting programing and applied research in home food preservation
• Present annual ServSafe® training for Extension agents & recertification training required every 5 years
• Updating programmatic materials for Extension agents to use in ServSafe® Food Handler Programs
• Secure external funding as the PI to support the National Center for Home Food Preservation ( NCHFP )
• As director of the NCHFP, direct externally supported staff who will update the website content on a regular basis and expand capabilities to disseminate content digitally
• Prepare new updated editions of the book “So Easy to Preserve” and other related publications and ensure that publications are marketed to generate funds which will provide program support
• Prepare and present workshops and trainings at the state, regional and national level in food safety and home food preservation
• Respond to questions from the public and professionals related to food safety associated with home food preservation
• Collaborate with internal and external partners, including College of Agricultural and Environmental Sciencs Food Science and Extension family and consumer sciences faculty and staff
• Develop and secure external funding to support interdisciplinary research program in the area of applied food safety and home food preservation
• Present research findings at national conferences and publish research findings in peer-reviewed journals
• Serve as major advisor for doctoral students and secure external funding to support PhD assistantships
To be considered for the position of Assistant/Associate Professor and Extension Specialist in Food Safety and Preservation, the applicant must hold an earned doctoral degree (upon application) in a discipline-related field.
To be considered for the position of Associate Professor, the applicant must meet the above qualifications and attained Assistant Professor at a comparable university and have at least three years of relevant experience.
Faculty expectations for Promotion in the College of Family & Consumer Sciences ( FACS ), Department of Foods & Nutrition are summarized at: https://provost.uga.edu/resources/documents/Foods_and_Nutrition2015.pdf
Relevant/Preferred Education, Experience, Licensure, and/or Certification Preferred Knowledge, Skills, Abilities and/or Competencies Physical Demands Is this a Position of Trust? Yes Does this position have operation, access, or control of financial resources? Yes Does this position require a P-Card? No Is having a P-Card an essential function of this position? No Is driving a responsibility of this position? Yes Does this position have direct interaction or care of children under the age of 18 or direct patient care? No Does this position have Security Access (e.g., public safety, IT security, personnel records, patient records, or access to chemicals and medications) No Credit and P-Card policy
Be advised a credit check will be required for all positions with financial responsibilities. For additional information about the credit check criteria, visit the UGA Credit Background Check website.
Posting Specific Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- Cover Letter
- List of References with Contact Information
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Not specified Full Time jobs in Athens
- Health & Medicine Not specified Full Time jobs in Athens
- Nutrition Not specified Full Time jobs in Athens
- Science, Technology & Mathematics Not specified Full Time jobs in Athens
- Agriculture & Animal Sciences Not specified Full Time jobs in Athens