Dean, College of Health & Human Sciences - Division of Academic Affairs (4930)
The Dean of the College of Health and Human Sciences will be an energetic, self-assured leader of stature with a deep knowledge of and commitment to research, teaching and engagement. The Dean will also be a capable executive with skills in fiscal and human resource management and fundraising development. The candidate must have the personal leadership style necessary to advance the college and inspire faculty and students as well as possess qualifications appropriate to a tenured professor in a department in one of the schools in the college. The candidate will enhance the College’s growing reputation as a leader in healthcare education and research, and build on the institution’s substantial strengths in academics, engagement, and outreach.
Duties and Responsibilities (generally)
The Dean is the chief advocate and intellectual leader for the mission and purpose of the College of Health and Human Sciences and provides leadership in formulating and implementing a vision for the college, within the framework of the goals and mission of the university.
• Developing a Unifying and Shared Vision for Academic Excellence
The Dean will engage with faculty, staff and students to develop a strategic vision for the college that integrates the various disciplines, schools and programs within college including developing strategies that support the research, teaching and engagement excellence of the college, and further the integration of this tripartite mission.
• Strengthening and Supporting a Culture of Inclusive Excellence
The Dean will be engaged in achieving NIU’s mission, vision and values regarding social justice, equity, diversity and inclusion and will support processes for the hiring, development and retention of faculty and staff who reflect the diversity of NIU’s student population.
• Leveraging the Promise of a New Health Informatics Technology Building
NIU has recently begun the process of planning for a new building that will co-locate dispersed health profession programs, increase opportunities for interdisciplinary collaboration in which the dean will play a critical role in the planning process for this facility.
• Enhancing Community Engagement and Resource Development
The college plays in integral role in supporting the health care needs of DeKalb and the state of Illinois. The Dean will establish and strengthen mutually beneficial partnerships with community partners to further the academic life of NIU’s students.
• Fostering a Culture of Honesty, Transparency and Collaboration
The Dean will embrace an inclusive, collaborative approach to managing the college and will foster a culture of transparency and integrity as well as play a critical role in formulating recommendations for consideration by the President and Provost on administrative, educational policy, financial, governance, institutional advancement, and other matters.
Minimum Required Qualifications for this position
• Earned terminal degree from a regionally accredited university.
• Record of teaching and scholarship that would qualify an appointment as a full professor with tenure in an academic department in the college.
• 5 to 10 years of progressive administrative experience in higher education.
• Demonstrated commitment to equity, diversity and inclusion
Specialty Factors (Additional Required Qualifications)
Education and Experience Preferred
The candidate will have the following preferred qualifications, demonstrating knowledge, skills, and abilities as follows:
• Provide creative and distinctive academic leadership to the academic programs, continually seek opportunities to advance academic excellence and innovation in teaching and research.
• Manage the resources of the college to ensure the financial resources are adequate and prudently managed through an effective annual operating budget and long-term financial planning.
• Articulate the vision and mission of the college to enhance the reputation of the college.
• Strong and effective administrative skills, with a capacity to build and develop working teams.
• Experience with, and deep respect to diversity, equity and inclusion as exhibited by a record of promoting diversity within a student body, faculty and administrative team.
• Possession of the intellectual leadership to provide guidance to a vibrant community of scholars.
• Knowledge and understanding of the changes taking place in health care education, while working with the faculty, curriculum and program development to meet the needs of the students.
• Work collegially with members of the university’s executive administration.
• Develop collaborative programs with other university colleges and departments, managing growth and change, and resolving conflict and building consensus.
List the knowledge, skills, and abilities critical to the performance of this position.
Commensurate with experience, education, and internal equity; position includes a robust benefits package to eligible applicants.
Priority Review Date
Special Instructions to Applicants
This search is being coordinated by DGP . To apply, please complete your application profile, which includes uploading a cover letter, resume, and list of three professional references and their contact information.
To ensure full consideration, application materials must be received by March 7th, 2021. Applications received after this date will be considered as needed. Nominations and inquiries are highly encouraged, and should be sent to David Gomez at David@davidgomezpartners.com and Kelly Collins at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Link to Department Homepage
College of Health and Human Sciences
In accordance with applicable statutes and regulations, NIU is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, religion, age, physical and mental disability, marital status, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, political affiliation, or any other factor unrelated to professional qualifications, and will comply with all applicable federal and state statutes, regulations and orders pertaining to nondiscrimination, equal opportunity and affirmative action.
The following person has been designated to handle inquiries regarding the non-discrimination policies:
Ethics and Compliance Officer, Title IX Coordinator
Health Services 230
Is Background Check Required
In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification document form upon hire.
NIU remains committed to ensuring that its recruitment and application procedures include full opportunities for applicants with disabilities. Employment opportunities will not be denied to anyone because of the need to make accommodations for a person’s disability during either the application or interview process. An applicant who believes they require an accommodation to participate in the employment process due to a disability may request that accommodation through the Accommodation Request Form . For further assistance, please contact the office of Affirmative Action, Equal Opportunity and Education ( AAEOE ) at email@example.com .
Clery Act Information
NIU provides information regarding campus security, personal and fire safety, including topics such as: crime prevention, emergency response procedures and crime reporting policies, in addition to crime and fire statistics for the most recent three calendar years. The Annual Security Report containing security and safety information is available at www.safety.niu.edu/clery or by contacting the University Police Department and Public Safety Department at 815-753-9628 to receive a hard copy. The Annual Fire Safety Report is available at www.niu.edu/clery/fire_report.pdf or by contacting the Environmental Health and Safety Department at 815-753-0404 to receive a hard copy.
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- Cover Letter
- Resume/Curriculum Vitae
- List of at least 3 References
- Transcripts (unofficial with official required at hire)
- Transcripts #2 (unofficial with official required at hire)