Lecturer (PASHE) - REVISED REVIEW DATE
Lecturer (PASHE) - REVISED REVIEW DATE
College of Science and Health
Description of College / Department / Program / Division / Unit
The mission of the College of Science and Health is to provide an outstanding education in the diverse disciplines of science, health, and mathematics. The College is dedicated to student learning where enthusiastic faculty and staff intellectually challenge students in a supportive and professional environment. Fundamental to our mission is the belief in the value of education in the liberal arts and sciences and the creation of new knowledge. The College offers an outstanding academic and cultural environment for the university community and beyond.
Our vision is to be a premier comprehensive institution, excelling in both undergraduate and graduate education. We will provide academic programs that attract high-achieving students on a regional, national, and international basis. The College will have an outstanding reputation for the quality of its students’ learning, faculty and staff, state of the art facilities and technology, scholarly achievements, and community and professional service.
This position is affiliated with the School of Education, Professional, and Continuing Education ( EPC ). EPC focuses its programming on ensuring that all teacher candidates demonstrate knowledge, skills, and dispositions consistent with exemplary professional practice. Through partnerships with our regional school districts and outstanding veteran educators, the School of Education provides teacher candidates with high-quality experiences in schools as a means to advance the teaching profession.
EPC is committed to principles of equity, inclusion, and social justice. We seek to advance UW-La Crosse’s strategic planning goal, “Achieving Excellence through Diversity and Equity” by increasing the retention of diverse students, faculty, and staff; teaching with identity inclusive and responsive pedagogies; and ensuring that everyone—regardless of race, ethnicity, class, gender, sexual identity, citizenship, first language, religion, ability, and other identities—is included and welcomed on campus.
The Department of Exercise and Sport Science values diversity in our faculty and student body and is engaged in sincere efforts to be a leader in Wisconsin’s movement toward increased diversity and inclusiveness.
The University of Wisconsin-La Crosse invites applications for a full-time, 9-month, Instructional Academic Staff position in our newly restructured Physical, Adapted, and School Health Education ( PASHE ) program. The Department of Exercise and Sport Science has a dynamic, inclusive, and well-supported faculty. We invite you to become a member of our team to educate our outstanding students in the areas of School Health Education ( SHE ) and Physical Education Teacher Education ( PETE ). UW- La Crosse is nationally known for its Physical Education teacher preparation program as a standard-based curriculum with visionary faculty. Teacher candidates in the undergraduate PASHE program will be prepared for certification in school health education, physical education, and adapted physical education. The position will begin August 31, 2021.
This position requires teaching courses in school health education and physical education in the PASHE teacher education program in the Department of Exercise and Sport Science. The ideal candidate will passionate about integrating skills-based school health education and physical education, and be prepared to teach courses and content in one or more of the following areas: Skill Development in School Health Education, School Health Education Secondary Methods, Core Concepts in School Health Education (including Inclusive Puberty and Sexual Health Education), Child and Adolescent Development, Whole-School Approaches to Health (e.g., Whole School, Whole Child, Whole Community; WSCC Model), Curriculum Development in School Health and Physical Education and Introduction to Health and Physical Education. Additional teaching in Exercise and Sport Science as assigned by the Department Chair may be included.
● Hold a Master’s degree or higher in School Health Education and/or Physical Education or a related field.
● Licensed/certified in both School Health and Physical Education.
● Three (3) years of School Health and/or Physical Education teaching experience in U.S. PK-12 schools or equivalent.
● Knowledge of and experience working with skills-based school health education.
● Experience with the edTPA, a teacher performance assessment for education majors
● Experience with and understanding of standards-based teacher preparation
● Experience with physical education and/or school health education student teaching supervision
● Experience working within a professional development school model
● Experience working in a professional learning community
● Experience in physical education
● Experience in adapted physical education
● Experience using the Whole School, Whole Child Whole Community Model ( WSCC ), or other whole-school approaches.
Working conditions and environment
General leave-related statement for all UWL instructional academic staff positions:
For the purposes of medical leave (e.g., FMLA ) during the ~30 weeks associated with the academic terms (15 for Fall and 15 for Spring), teaching is calculated as 80%+ of the overall workload; service and professional development not to exceed 20%. Teaching percentage could be lower as determined by the Dean if the instructor has a reduced teaching load from the 15 credits or contact hours. There are nine weeks of the ~39 week contract year outside of the standard 14 week semester (+ one week of finals) where 100% of the faculty member’s time could be considered scholarship and/or service.
These are the job duties required for the position.
Instruction and Assessment of Students
Duties to Support Responsibility
15 per academic year Credits (total number of instructional credits)
• Prepare and deliver curriculum to undergraduate (and/or graduate students).
• Prepare course materials such as syllabi, homework assignments, and handouts, ensuring they comply with department, college and university guidelines including accessibility for students with disabilities.
• Evaluate and grade students’ class work, assignments, and papers utilizing the department’s grading criteria and system [indicate any unique aspects such as use of D2L].
• Maintain regularly scheduled office hours in order to advise and assist students.
• Compile, administer, and grade examinations and other assessment measures.
• Initiate, facilitate, and moderate classroom discussions.
• Maintain student attendance records, grades, and other required records, and deliver them to the Registrar as directed by UWL policy.
Percentage Of Time
Duties to Support Responsibility
• Academic advising as assigned
• Other service assignments as directed by the chair and/or deans.
Percentage Of Time
Posting Detail Information
Please note the requirements for information to be provided in the cover letter, which includes (a) an explanation of why the applicant believes the position is a good fit for them; and (b) specific strengths they feel they would add to the PASHE program.
Continuous Recruitment First Review Date
Position Contact Name
Position Contact Email
- Resume/Curriculum Vitae
- Cover Letter/Letter of Application
- Reference Contact Information
- Unofficial UndergraduateTranscripts
- Unofficial Graduate Transcripts
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * The University of Wisconsin System will not reveal the
identities of applicants who request confidentiality in writing,
except that the identities of finalists must be revealed upon
request. See Wis. Stat. §. 19.36(7).
- I wish for my name to remain confidential until the university is no longer able to do so.
- I waive my right to keep my name confidential through the application process.
- * Will you now or in the future require visa sponsorship for
employment at the University of Wisconsin-La Crosse? (UW-L and UW
System institutions pay for some or all of the sponsorship costs.
Some candidates may require an H1B or another form of employment
sponsorship to work in the US. This question is asked so that if
you are the successful candidate, Human Resources can work with
your work unit to begin the process of obtaining this visa).
- Yes, I will require sponsorship prior to employment.
- Yes, I will require sponsorship for continued employment if hired.
- No, I do not require sponsorship and am eligible to work in the US.
- * Please provide your most recent employer, supervisor name and
contact information, including phone number and email address.
(Pursuant to UW System Administrative Policy 1275, UW System
requires reference checks related to sexual harassment and sexual
violence to be conducted at a minimum with a final candidate’s most
recent employer and with all previous UW System institution and
State of Wisconsin agency employers from the past seven years. UW-L
will notify you prior to contacting your supervisor).
(Open Ended Question)
- * Are you currently employed by or have you been employed by a
UW System institution or a State of Wisconsin agency during the
last seven (7) years? Please answer yes or no. If yes, provide the
institution or agency name, your supervisor and contact
information, including phone number and email address.
- * After you retire from a Wisconsin Retirement System (WRS)
employer, you may return to work with a WRS employer as a rehired
annuitant, provided certain requirements are met. There are no
restrictions on what type of position a rehired annuitant can hold.
Under the WRS, there is no limit to how much you may earn as a
rehired annuitant. (Learn more:
Are you currently collecting an annuity from the Wisconsin
Retirement System, (WRS)?
- How did you hear about this employment opportunity?
- Chronicle of Higher Education Web Site
- Discipline-Specific Publication/Web Site
- HERC Web Site
- HigherEdJobs.com Web Site
- Job Center of Wisconsin Web Site
- Minority Publication/Web Site
- University of Wisconsin - La Crosse Social Media (i.e. Facebook, LinkedIn, Twitter)
- University of Wisconsin - La Crosse Web Site
- La Crosse Tribune
- Personal Referral
- Are you an alum of the University of Wisconsin-La Crosse?
- * Were you ever found to have engaged in any sexual violence or
sexual harassment in a previous work assignment? (Required under UW
System Administrative Policy 1275)
- * Are you currently under investigation or have ever left
employment during an active investigation in which you were accused
of sexual violence or sexual harassment? (Required under UW System
Administrative Policy 1275)