English Faculty, Part-Time (Adjunct Faculty Pool)
Community College of Philadelphia
Community College of Philadelphia is an open-admission, associate-degree-granting institution which provides access to higher education for all who may benefit. Its programs of study in the liberal arts and sciences, career technologies, and basic academic skills provide a coherent foundation for college transfer, employment and lifelong learning. The College serves Philadelphia by preparing its students to be informed and concerned citizens, active participants in the cultural life of the city, and enabled to meet the changing needs of business, industry and the professions. To help address broad economic, cultural and political concerns in the city and beyond, the College draws together students from a wide range of ages and backgrounds and seeks to provide the programs and support they need to achieve their goals.
The Department of English is a multi-disciplinary department, composed of faculty teaching in our College Writing, Developmental English, ESL, Communication Studies and Mass Media, Literature and Creative Writing, and Theatre programs.
The Department of English invites applications for part-time positions for both English Generalist and Developmental English.
*Applicant credentials will be kept on file until 12/31/2020.
• Demonstrate a sense of connection and responsibility for helping the College to achieve success through a commitment to its mission, vision, and values.
• Prepare and deliver instruction to students in assigned modalities (including classroom, hybrid, online, etc.). Prepare and submit required documentation including course syllabi, student attendance, final course grades, and other information as requested or required by the college. Maintain and disseminate current information pertaining to services available to students throughout the college.
• Communicate effectively, share vision, focus on people, initiate positive change, value differences and foster collaboration. Work with and inspire others to achieve college, department, and individual success. Proactively identify/address problems.
• Establish an inclusive environment in the classroom. Demonstrate an understanding of, and sensitivity to, the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, and ethnic backgrounds of the College's faculty, staff and students.
• Participate in continual assessment and course updates to ensure excellence in meeting program and student learning outcomes.
• Strive for excellence in teaching, applying best practices in field of discipline, and modeling behaviors that encourage student success and retention. Provide feedback to students in matters related to academic success in a timely manner.
• Commitment to professional learning and growth, student mentoring, and service to the profession. Remain current in the use of technology, developments within the field of discipline, and developments related to teaching and student success.
• Master's degree in English, Rhetoric, or Composition. Related degrees in Fine Arts, English Education, and Reading/Literacy may be considered.
• Prior teaching experience required.
• Experience using technology or a strong willingness to engage students through the use of technology.
• Available to work at the Main Campus, and North East, North West, and West Regional Campuses.
• Related work experience in the field, professional licensure and certifications, or other demonstrated competencies required for effective teaching and student learning outcomes.
• Experience teaching at the college level, preferably in a college writing program, or working with students in developmental English courses.
Special Instructions to Applicants
• Interested persons should complete an online application.
• Cover letter of interest and CV/resume REQUIRED.
• Names and contact information of 3 professional referenced REQUIRED.
• Applicant credentials will be kept on file until 12/31/2020.
• Employment offers are contingent upon successful completion of background checks in accordance with the Pennsylvania Child Protective Services Law.
Community College of Philadelphia is an affirmative action, equal opportunity and equal access employer. The College encourages applications from individuals from traditionally under-represented groups. AA/EOE.
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * Do you have a Master's degree in English, Rhetoric, or
Composition, or a related Master's degree in Fine Arts, English
Education, and Reading/Literacy?
- * Do you have prior teaching experience?
- * Do you have experience using technology or a strong
willingness to engage students through the use of technology?
- * Are you available to work at the Main, North East Regional
and North West Campuses?
- * Do you have related work experience in the field,
professional licensure and certifications, or other demonstrated
competencies required for effective teaching and student learning
- * Do you have experience teaching at the college level,
preferably in a college writing program, or working with students
in developmental English courses?
- * How did you first learn about this employment opportunity?
- Community College of Philadelphia Website
- The Chronicle
- Job Fair
- HERC - Higher Education Recruitment Consortium
- CCP - Faculty Recruiting Event
- * If your answer to the above question is Other, please note
the source below. If this question does not apply to you, enter
(Open Ended Question)
- Curriculum Vitae
- Cover Letter/Letter of Application
- Teaching Philosophy
- Writing Sample
- Unofficial Transcripts
- Letters of Recommendation
- Other Document ( See Special Instructions to Applicant)