Director of Athletics | Tenure Track Faculty | I01629
Slippery Rock University of Pennsylvania invites applications for a Director of Athletics, a non-teaching, tenure track, 12 month faculty position. The Director of Athletics provides management and leadership to a department with 17 men’s and women’s athletic programs. The incumbent provides leadership in execution of all activities, operations and policies of a nationally respected and successful NCAA Division II department. She or he will work collaboratively with the University administration and other heads of departments with the utmost integrity. The Director reports to the Chief Student Affairs Officer and is ultimately responsible to the President.
- Serves as the University’s principal representative for intercollegiate athletics. Gives administrative direction and advice about the establishment of program goals to the Chief Student Affairs Officer, President and Cabinet.
- Responsible for meeting the necessary requirements of the
National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA), Office of Civil
Rights and the Pennsylvania State Athletic Conference (PSAC).
Supervises all administrative staff and the head coaches of all 17 sports. Maintains knowledge of university, NCAA and conference rules, regulations and policies.
- Directs and makes decisions which affect the activities, operations and policies of the athletic programs. - Establishes the Athletic Department Strategic Plan, goals and objectives for the athletic program; makes decisions on strategies and tactics to achieve goals.
- Reviews all budgetary plans and expenditures; identify and maximize the various revenue opportunities and income streams available to the Athletic Department, in conjunction with the Office of Institutional Advancement, including athletic fundraising, annual support program and promotions activities.
- Ensures appropriate understanding and fully supports the academic mission of the University and provides necessary academic support to our student athletes. - Serves as the spokesperson for the department in approving the hiring of coaches, administrative staff, support staff and other personnel associated with the department.
- Serves as spokesperson for the department in matters of policies, operations and personnel. - Serves as the department’s representative through participation in campus activities involving students, faculty and staff and represents the department in local, national and Pennsylvania State Athletic Conference committees and associations.
- Work with on and off-campus constituents in a cooperative and collaborative manner.
- Attends various meetings, alumni events and attends various athletic events at home and away sites.
- Keeps the President and Chief Student Affairs Officer apprised of the status of the department and the progress being made in all areas.
- May serve as the Athletic Department Chairperson with regard to department faculty member responsibilities for tenure and promotion applications, and annual renewals.
- Master’s Degree required.
- Six years of experience in progressively responsible positions in collegiate athletic administration and/or compliance.
- Three years experience as an associate athletic director (or the equivalent) or athletic director.
- Expert knowledge of NCAA rules and regulations.
- Candidates must have successful experience in fundraising and marketing, budget and fiscal management, and a demonstrated knowledge of managerial techniques, policies and procedures.
- Commitment to the education of diverse populations.
- A successful performance in an interview.