Director, Application Services
Job Description Summary
Bentley University is looking for a talented and creative leader to join a highly motivated team to lead a critical applications space. The Director of Application Services, reporting to the CIO, will be responsible for overseeing services across a portfolio of hosted and cloud solutions as well the management of supporting processes, information, and related Information Technology (IT) resources.
The ideal candidate will have experience in matrixed environments with a proven expertise delivering high value business solutions through technology. We have successfully deployed Workday Student, Human Resources and Finance and are looking to further optimize these key applications to meet the needs of our community. Expertise in similar platforms is welcome, though Workday know-how is preferred. This is a key leadership role for the right individual to partner with other senior leaders throughout the university.
These collaborations will be in support of existing services as well as delivering new capabilities and transitioning services into production. Bentley is in the midst of moving significant services to SaaS platforms. Experience with vendor contracts and Service level agreements and support transition is critical. This position requires the individual to have broad business knowledge, business operations experience, strong communications skills, and a passion for delivering services and solutions at scale to our internal customers and the Bentley community.
This work includes:
-Overseeing the end-to-end implementation, integration, and management of enterprise software systems to support the effective and efficient delivery of services across various lines of business (Student, Human Resources, and Financial services)
-Establishing and executing short and long term strategic plans along with tactical prioritization, goals, policies, and procedures for the Application Services group.
-Directing a team of managers with other services areas to support the daily production operations, monitoring, incident management, and problem resolution.
-Working closely with decision makers in other departments to identify, recommend, develop, implement, and support cost-effective technology solutions for all aspects of the organization. You will be responsible for building close working relationships across IT, including Systems, Networking, Academic Computing and the Project Management Office as well as other organizations across campus.
-Provide technical guidance and direction with vendors in support of product roadmaps and strategic goals
This role is accountable for delivering successful outcomes in Student, Human Resources, and Financial services as well as, managing the application services portfolio and prioritizing IT applications development/support efforts in cooperation with the business. Ensuring that all committed application service levels are being met and corrective actions are implemented when they are not. Work with the business and IT leadership team to manage 3rd party software integration projects including systems, infrastructure, training and Go-Live support.
- Established strategic application and related technologies roadmaps to meet the needs of business units and the community
- Sets direction for successful support operations relative to SLAs, SLO's and root cause analysis
- Collaborates with Level I Support and Product Development organizations to ensure delivery of a high-quality client experience in all IT support matters
- Addresses escalations within IT and business and reports promptly to management and business partners regarding critical outages and disruptions until resolution
- Collaborates with relevant stakeholders in Infrastructure, Information Security, Incident Management and IT Business Partners in resolution of complex support concerns
- Collaborates with key vendors and partners relative to support & performance issues impacting the organizations attainment of strategic goals and objectives
- Manages weekly Change Advisory Board meeting to ensure proper change control and code implementations
- Continually improve software development and operations from an internal IT process perspective as well as from a Business Operations perspective by providing frequent feedback on system performance & reliability
- Drives continuous improvement within the organization moving from reactive detection to proactive prevention of outages and disruptions impacting business operations
- Work with innovative tools and technologies to optimize client support experiences
- Instills Growth Mindset across Organization to create a culture of continuous learning and development
- Understand the interactions between applications, operating systems, system hardware, network services, and storage devices.
- Exercises direct supervision over professional, technical, and support staff
- Education:Bachelor's degree. Master's degree preferred.
- Years Experience: 10+ years of progressive IT-related management experience both strategic and tactical
- Proven experience in developing and managing teams, coaching and mentoring team members.
- Solid command of modern enterprise resource planning and related applications
- Proven ability to balance day-to-day (operational) work with project work
- Excellent (written and verbal) communication skills and problem-solving skills.
- Knowledge of Workday or similar systems in higher education s helpful but not required.
- Competencies include: Business Acumen, Intellectual Horsepower, Learning on the Fly, Dealing with Ambiguity, Innovation Management, Strategic Agility, Developing Direct Reports & Others, Command Skills, Drive for Results, Political Savvy, Comfort around Higher Management, Customer Focus, Negotiating, Managing Vision and Purpose, Listening
- Typical office setting with extensive sitting and computer work
- Ability to travel around campus for meetings and other work related events
Bentley University requires references checks and may conduct other pre-employment screening.
Bentley University strives to create a campus community that welcomes the exchange of ideas, and fosters a culture that values differences and views them as a strength in our community.
Bentley University is an Equal Opportunity Employer, building strength through diversity. The University is committed to building a community of talented students, faculty and staff who reflect the diversity of global business. We strongly encourage applications from persons from underrepresented groups, individuals with disabilities, covered veterans and those with diverse experiences and backgrounds.