Director of Community Engagement
About the Adrienne Arsht Center for the Performing Arts of Miami-Dade County
Set in the heart of downtown Miami, the Adrienne Arsht Center for the Performing Arts of Miami-Dade County is committed to welcoming and connecting ALL people to the arts, to the Arsht Center, and to each other. Since opening in 2006, the Arsht Center, a 501C3 non-profit organization, has been a catalyst for billions of dollars in new development in the downtown area, a leader in programming that mirrors South Florida’s diversity, a host venue for historic events and Miami’s hub for arts education.
Each year, we serve more than 50,000 young learners and offer more than 100 culturally diverse and inclusive education programs. Our 300+ annual events include our Knight Masterworks Classical Music series featuring magnificent orchestras and soloists from around the world; the very best musicals direct from New York for Broadway in Miami; Jazz Roots, the largest jazz series in South Florida; our award-winning, Miami-made Theater Up Close program; Flamenco Festival Miami; brilliant work from our many Arts Partners and local artists, and much more.
The Arsht Center is a home stage for three resident companies - Florida Grand Opera, Miami City Ballet, and New World Symphony - and a launchpad for local artists to make their mark on the international stage. In addition, our Family Fest, Free Gospel Sundays, Communi-Tea LGBTQ+ celebration, and Heritage Fest are among dozens of free activities that bring together people from all corners of our community.
For more information, visit https://www.arshtcenter.org
Reporting to the Vice President, Education and Community Engagement, the Director of Community Engagement is responsible for developing and implementing a comprehensive
community programs strategy for the Performing Arts Center. In addition to planning, the Director will be responsible for the day-to-day management of the Center’s Community Engagement programs including budgeting, hiring, firing and supervision of division support staff and interns. The Director will also be responsible for the evaluation of all existing programs and initiatives as well as the development of new and innovative programs that meet the needs of the County’s diverse audiences.
This is a highly collaborative environment that is results driven by strategic thinking, goal-oriented action, follow through and open communication.
Counted among the responsibilities of the Director of Community Engagement will be to:
- Be responsible for forging relationships with teaching artists, artists, community members and organizations working with, serving the Miami-Dade County community.
- Develop and implement engagement strategies that increase awareness of the Arsht Center and its mission to serve the community.
- Practice and promote equity, access and inclusion to the Arsht Center and the performing arts.
- Position the center to be a vital listener and contributor to civic conversations in our community.
- Uses the performing arts to be a contributor to the community.
- Ambassador for the Arsht Center in the greater Miami community
- Create alongside the Vice President, Education and Community Engagement (VP) an annual community engagement budget.
- Assist the VP with strategic planning for Community Engagement programs
- Lead the day to day of Community Engagement programs.
- Manage, recruit and retain teaching artists as needed.
- Identify new avenues and opportunities for growth that support the Arsht Center’s strategic plan.
- Create a Community Engagement season that is reflective and of the Miami-Dade County community.
- Program productions and events with the mindset of using the arts as a vehicle to connect people to the arts and to each other.
- Commit to working alongside community to create transformative change in Miami-Dade County through the performing arts.
- Understand the institutional development efforts and the ability to assist in the writing of effective grant proposals.
- Develop effective outreach and strategies that connect with the public and produce positive results.
- Contribute to the development and maintenance of the Center’s diverse community relations with specific reference to outreach areas.
- This position has irregular hours including nights and weekends.
- Attend events on behalf of Arsht and/or Vice President of Education and Community Engagement.
- A proven record of accomplishment spanning 5-7 years.
- 5-7 years of experience in arts administration/performing arts (minimum of 3 years leading in this sector)
- Depth of knowledge in and about the performing arts (preferably theatre)
- Passionate producer or arts educator with strong belief in the power the arts have to create and build equitable communities and enrich lives.
- Experience working with diverse communities, diverse artists and relationship-building.
- High verbal/speaking and writing skills (communication is key)
- In depth experience in producing production-specific community initiatives (from live main-stage performances to panels, lectures, master classes and workshops).
- Uses artistic practice as a means of community formation and engagement.
- Idea generator, creative, thinks outside the box.
- Experience creating/developing evaluation rubrics, surveys, analytics, and reports that tell the story and success of Community Engagement programs to the community, stake holders and donors.
- Experience working with development, communications, and marketing departments to move the mission and profile of Community Engagement programs forward.
- A good listener and sensitive to the needs of various communities.
- Bachelor’s in the performing arts (any field) required, theater preferred.
- Fluency in Spanish and/or Haitian Creole.
- Specific experience in marketing sound community programs at large to Community organizations and the general public.
- Knowledge of Miami-Dade County arts and culture and government organizations and political savvy as to how the center relates to these entities and the needs of the greater community.
- Understanding of institutional development efforts and the ability to assist in the writing of effective grant proposals.
- Understanding of the role of the Adrienne Arsht Center as it relates to South Florida and the State.
- Understanding of how to function effectively in a multi-ethnic work environment and community.
- Understanding of collaborative, team-oriented leadership style.
- Ability to effectively multi-task and to establish priorities
The Director of Community Engagement should be:
- A strategic, big-picture thinker with a belief in and commitment to the mission of the Adrienne Arsht Center and the performing arts; who by example and with integrity, tact and diplomacy sets and meets high standards of expectation and excellence introspectively and with others;
- Resolute yet diplomatic; firm yet respectful of other’s concerns; flexible and creative in finding alternative solutions to challenges;
- Skilled at listening; charismatic at communication with the ability to build trusting relationships with individuals and groups in this diverse community;
- Self-motivated, high energy, imaginative leader who pays a great deal of attention to detail;
- A coach and mentor dedicated to sharing success.
- While performing the duties of this position, the employee is frequently required to stop, reach, stand, walk, lift, pull, push, grasp, communicate, and use repetitive motions.
- While performing the duties of this position, the employee may frequently lift and or move 20 pounds of materials.
- The position requires the individual to meet multiple demands from multiple people and interact with the public and other staff.
Note: The above job description is intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by staff assigned to this job. It is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of staff in this position. Duties, responsibilities, and skills are also subject to change based on the changing needs of the job, department, or organization. The job description does not constitute an employment agreement between the employer and employee and is subject to change by the Adrienne Arsht Center as the requirements of the job change.
The Adrienne Arsht Center is an equal opportunity employer committed to being an inclusive workplace and strongly believes in the importance of having a diverse group of individuals represented.
Apply for Director of Community Engagement
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly