Manager of International Payment Compliance
Virginia Tech is seeking an experienced international tax specialist to join the University Controller’s Office as a Manager of International Payment Compliance. The Manager is a highly collaborative and customer focused role that has overall responsibility for international tax reporting and compliance. Under the direction of the Director of Payroll, this position is the University’s subject matter expert on US tax laws for foreign nationals. The Manager establishes best practice policies and procedures, and coordinates the onboarding and taxation for Virginia Tech’s international faculty, staff, students and guests.
This position will stay abreast of changes to tax laws, tax treaties, and IRS tax filings, and is proactive in adjusting applicable processes. The Manager position requires a high level of analysis and critical thinking to ensure compliance with tax laws, while balancing the needs of Virginia Tech’s diverse international community. Responsibilities include assisting with the creation and implementation of policies and procedures, improving operational efficiencies, and performing other duties as assigned. The Manager will lead a team and provide necessary training to fiscal administrators and departmental personnel for processing non-resident alien treaty and tax withholdings.
• Bachelor's degree in accounting, finance, tax, business or related field
• Working knowledge of regulations issued by the IRS and USCIS
• Working knowledge of immigration statuses and related employment rules
• Proficient user of Microsoft Office Word, Excel and PowerPoint
• Demonstrated commitment to diversity and success in working with diverse constituencies, both domestic and international, to support an inclusive campus environment
• Ability to work as a team member and with confidential information
• Strong analytical and critical thinking skills, including ability to proactively recommend options to balance external compliance requirements with operational efficiency and customer service
• Master’s degree in accounting, business or a related field
• Ability to use Oracle, Microsoft Access or SAS query tools to gather and analyze information from a large financial database
• Experience working in higher education environment
• Experience using automated payroll/financial systems
• Prior experience with nonresident alien taxation and experience with interpreting and applying other federal tax laws
• Experience working with a large ERP system (i.e.,Banner, SAP, PeopleSoft) with high volume
• Experience using international tax compliance software to collect and maintain data to determine nonresident alien vs. resident alien status for tax purposes (i.e.,Foreign National Information System)
• Experience using nonresident alien tax compliance and income tax treaty software (i.e., Tax Navigator or equivalent)
• Experience calculating tax liability for payroll and accounts payable transactions
• Working knowledge of IRS Substantial Presence Test
• Supervisory experience
Commensurate with experience
April 1, 2021
The successful Candidate will be required to have a criminal conviction check
About Virginia Tech
Dedicated to its motto, Ut Prosim (That I May Serve), Virginia Tech pushes the boundaries of knowledge by taking a hands-on, transdisciplinary approach to preparing scholars to be leaders and problem-solvers. A comprehensive land-grant institution that enhances the quality of life in Virginia and throughout the world, Virginia Tech is an inclusive community dedicated to knowledge, discovery, and creativity. The university offers more than 280 majors to a diverse enrollment of more than 36,000 undergraduate, graduate, and professional students in eight undergraduate colleges , a school of medicine , a veterinary medicine college, Graduate School , and Honors College . The university has a significant presence across Virginia, including the Innovation Campus in Northern Virginia; the Health Sciences and Technology Campus in Roanoke; sites in Newport News and Richmond; and numerous Extension offices and research centers . A leading global research institution, Virginia Tech conducts more than $500 million in research annually.
Virginia Tech does not discriminate against employees, students, or applicants on the basis of age, color, disability, sex (including pregnancy), gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation, or veteran status, or otherwise discriminate against employees or applicants who inquire about, discuss, or disclose their compensation or the compensation of other employees or applicants, or on any other basis protected by law.
If you are an individual with a disability and desire an accommodation, please contact Julie Weaver at email@example.com during regular business hours at least 10 business days prior to the event.
Advertised: February 17, 2021
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Blacksburg
- Business & Management Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Blacksburg
- Accounting & Finance Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Blacksburg
- Administrative Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Blacksburg
- Academic Affairs Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Blacksburg