Instructor of Japanese Language and Culture
Instructor of Japanese Language and Culture
The Department of Languages, Literatures, and Linguistics at Indiana State University seeks an instructor for Japanese beginning August 2021. The successful candidate will be able to teach all levels of Japanese language and culture and help the Department build the Japanese curricular and cultural offerings.
The Department boasts collegial and dynamic with faculty who value teaching. It houses unique degree programs, Language Studies and Language Studies Teaching, which allow students to focus in one language and culture, or multiple languages and cultures. The Department also houses programs in English as Second Language and an M.A. program in TESL and Linguistics. The Department sponsors two honors societies, the living-learning community, Lingua Franca House, the Center for Language Education and Research, and hosts numerous cultural and professional events.
The instructor position is a 3-year contract, evaluated annually, with potential for renewal and options for promotion to Senior Instructor. Instructional load is 5 courses each semester, however the Department values service and instructional load can be modified for service activities.
- A. or higher degree in Japanese, Japanese Studies, Language Pedagogy
- Native or near-native fluency in Japanese;
- University-level instruction experience
- A strong commitment to teaching language and culture and supporting diversity and inclusion.
- Candidates must be eligible to work in the U.S. for other than practical training. The university will not provide visa sponsorship for this position.
- Foreign language pedagogy background
- Experience in K-12 teacher preparation or K-12 teaching experience
- Experience in computer-assisted language instruction
- Professional communication with strong English skills
- Developing and/or updating a class syllabus.
- Preparation of lectures, projects or other student assignments.
- Maintaining regularly scheduled office hours.
- Presenting instruction based on the competencies and performance levels of the course, including Foundational Studies learning objectives.
- Meeting all designated class periods.
- Submitting completed attendance, interim progress reports and final grades according to University regulations.
- Grading student assignments and exams in timely manner according to University Handbook guidelines.
- Building a positive rapport with students and faculty.
Applicants should provide the following:
- A letter of application/cover letter
- A statement of teaching philosophy
- Curriculum vitae
- A list of three references with contact information
- A video demonstrating classroom teaching (provide link)
- Copies of M.A. or Ph.D. transcripts
Submit application materials by March 15th for immediate consideration. Position will remain open until filled. Apply online at https://jobs.indstate.edu/postings/33279
For further information, contact the chair of the department, Ann Rider at email@example.com or 812-237-2367.
Indiana State University has been recognized by Forbes as one of America’s Top Colleges and by the Princeton Review as among the best in the Midwest. Located in Terre Haute, Indiana, its pedestrian friendly and beautifully landscaped campus has earned a Tree Campus USA designation and has been recognized by Princeton Review as one of the most environmentally responsible college campuses.
Located in the heart of Terre Haute’s downtown, Indiana State’s campus is within walking distance to local shops and restaurants. Situated near the Indiana-Illinois border, the campus is about an hour’s drive from Indianapolis and within a few hours of other major metropolitan areas including St. Louis, Chicago, Cincinnati and Louisville.
The Indiana State student body represents all 50 states and more than 65 countries and is among the most diverse in Indiana. The University is ranked number one among Indiana’s public and private institutions on CollegeNet’s annual social mobility index. There are more than 250 student-run organizations offering activities and entertainment throughout the year along with 15 NCAA Division I athletic teams, a first-rate student recreation center with numerous classes and recreational sports programs, and a Performing Arts Series and University Speakers Series which bring national touring productions and speakers to campus.
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Tenured/Tenured Track Commensurate with Experience Full Time jobs in Terre Haute
- Humanities Tenured/Tenured Track Commensurate with Experience Full Time jobs in Terre Haute
- Ethnic & Multicultural Studies Tenured/Tenured Track Commensurate with Experience Full Time jobs in Terre Haute
- Other Humanities Tenured/Tenured Track Commensurate with Experience Full Time jobs in Terre Haute