Professor in Human Nutrition
DEPARTMENT of HUMAN NUTRITION
DIVISION of SCIENCES
The University of Otago invites applications for the position of Professor (or Associate Professor) of Human Nutrition to join the Department of Human Nutrition, Division of Sciences. This position provides an excellent opportunity for a widely respected senior academic to establish themselves in one of the leading universities in the world.
The University of Otago is one of New Zealand's largest and most research-intensive universities and is ranked within the top 1% of universities in the world. The University is a leader across all fields of academic endeavour, regularly topping the New Zealand Tertiary Education Commission's education performance indicators.
The Department of Human Nutrition has a vibrant research community and has distinguished itself by concentrating on innovative learning, teaching and research focused on positive nutritional impact on society and individuals. The Department is proud of its international reputation for research, clinical, public health and academic excellence.
It is expected that the appointment will be made at the level of professor and the candidate be prepared to take on the role of Head of Department of Human Nutrition in due course. The successful applicant will be a widely respected senior academic in a relevant discipline.
Responsibilities of the role include:
- Demonstrating outstanding leadership in research, publication and/or leadership and exceptional ability and original thought in professional practice relevant to the Human Nutrition discipline resulting in advancing knowledge within the discipline.
- Providing leadership in the development and implementation of curriculum and interdisciplinary undergraduate and postgraduate programmes in Human Nutrition.
- Promoting the Human Nutrition discipline to the wider University, national research communities and the New Zealand public, and engaging in national decision-making (processes) relevant to Nutritional Sciences, Food and Agriculture.
The successful candidate will be supported through an extremely collegial academic environment, an active and dynamic research culture, and by efficient professional services across the University.
Skills and experience
- PhD degree in a relevant discipline.
- A well-established track record as an internationally recognised research scientist in human nutrition.
- Experience in establishing and maintaining excellent communication with a wide range of individuals within the food and nutrition industry and agricultural organisations.
- Strong evidence of academic leadership and team building abilities.
- Excellent communication and teaching skills.
The University of Otago is well-known for its collegiality and, combined with living in the vibrant city of Dunedin, provides opportunities for an excellent work-life balance. The Dunedin campus has been ranked as one of the top 15 most beautiful in the world. The city has affordable living, excellent schools, and a great array of activities, ranging from art and literature to outdoor activities.
Candidates are requested to submit the following:
- Cover letter.
- Names and email addresses of at least three referees.
Applications quoting reference number 2100374 will close on Sunday, 21 March 2021.
To view all current vacancies and to apply online go to: https://otago.taleo.net/careersection/2/jobdetail.ftl?lang=en&job=2100374
Equal opportunity in employment is University policy.
E tautoko ana Te Whare Wananga o Otago i te kaupapa whakaorite whiwhinga mahi.