Eastern New Mexico University
Academic Career & Executive Search is pleased to assist Eastern New Mexico University (ENMU) in their search for a Controller.
ENMU seeks a highly skilled, detailed oriented financial executive to serve in this critical role. The successful candidate is a skilled, approachable leader with a broad array of complex accounting experience.
The Controller is an exceptional communicator who delivers a hands-on approach to leadership, operations and problem solving and will work seamlessly with all levels of the institution including the board, senior administration, faculty, and staff. The successful candidate has familiarity with the unique department and faculty needs across campus.
This position reports to the ENMU System Chief Financial Officer and leads a team of five direct reports across the following areas: budgetary control, accounting, accounts payable, accounts receivable, cashiers, inventory control, and post office. In addition, there are two indirect reports, one from each of the Branch Campuses.
The Controller is responsible for directing the centralized fiscal and related functions of the university and responsible for the day-to-day management of an extensive, comprehensive and complex business management program.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Oversight of the following functions: budgetary control, accounting, accounts payable, accounts receivable, cashiers, inventory control, and post office
- Maintain internal controls and procedures to govern these functions
- Responsible for complete, accurate, and timely presentation of the University System financial records, including development of the year-end University System audited financial statements.
- Plan and coordinate entire University system year-end closing process.
- Work with external auditor, financial institutions, Higher Education Department, Legislative Committees, Department of Finance and Administration, and the Office of the State Auditor to provide financial information.
- Serve on system/campus-wide committees and confer with the administrators and the University community on internal controls, fiscal, operational, and administrative problems and develop workable solutions
- Implement GASB standards pertaining to the University
- Complete annual reporting to outside agencies (IPEDS, HLC, FAC, etc.)
- Select, supervise, and evaluate professional and support staff
- Perform other duties as assigned
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of account and cash management principles and/or procedures
- Strategic business planning and business management skills
- Knowledge of governmental fund accounting
- Ability to develop and maintain recordkeeping systems and procedures
- Skill in safeguarding, organizing resources and establishing priorities
- Ability to analyze and interpret financial data and prepare financial reports, statements and/or projections
- Skill in examining and re-engineering operations and procedures, formulating policy, and developing and implementing new strategies and procedures
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, interpersonal skills, and negotiating skills
- Knowledge of computerized information systems used in financial and/or accounting applications. Banner software knowledge preferred.
- Knowledge of budgeting and fiscal management principles and procedures
- A bachelor's degree with emphasis in accounting
- Minimum of seven years of experience with substantial responsibilities in the major functional areas involved in the financial and general business management of a university or business
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Excellent interpersonal and organizational skills
- Accounting experience in higher education
- Current or previous holder of a CPA/Master’s license
- Experience with Ellucian Banner
ENMU's main campus, consisting of 344 acres is in Portales, 90 miles northeast of Roswell, 120 miles southwest of Amarillo, Texas, and 110 miles northwest of Lubbock, Texas. ENMU is an accredited university offering both graduate and undergraduate degrees and New Mexico's largest regional comprehensive university. It is a federally designated Hispanic-serving institution and a member of the Hispanic Association of Colleges and Universities (HACU). The university consists of four colleges and a graduate school. There are also two degree-granting branches at Ruidoso and Roswell.
Living in the Area:
The City of Portales combines a rural atmosphere with premier cultural, economic and educational opportunities. An affordable cost of living, strongly supported schools including Eastern New Mexico University, and an exceptionally low crime rate makes Portales truly a gateway to the good life. The cost of living is 24.4% below national average.
The city's downtown area is centered around a traditional-style town square, based upon Spanish urban design. The Courthouse Square is ringed with retail shops and recently renovated historic theater. Ideal for outdoor activities, the area offers numerous parks and recreation activities. With a semiarid climate, Portales residents enjoy dry winters with brisk mornings and mild, sunny afternoons and warm summers when most of the rainfall occurs.
Applications will be reviewed as they are received and should include a cover letter and CV. You may apply directly at: https://acesrch.applicantstack.com/x/detail/a21esjy6uk3s
Review will begin immediately and continue until position is filled. Inquiries, referrals and nominations are treated confidentially and can be sent to: Jennifer Muller, Academic Career & Executive Search at Jennifer@ACESrch.com.
Condition of Employment: Must pass a pre-employment background check.
ENMU is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer. The University does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, age or disability in its programs, activities, or employment. Anyone seeking additional information about the University's non-discrimination policy should contact the Affirmative Action Officer, ENMU Station 21, Portales, NM 88130.
More searches like this
- Administrative Executive Not specified Full Time jobs in Portales
- Business & Administrative Affairs Executive Not specified Full Time jobs in Portales
- Other Business & Administrative Affairs Executive Not specified Full Time jobs in Portales
- Financial Affairs Executive Not specified Full Time jobs in Portales