Administrative Assistant, STEM Talent Challenge Grant
Howard Community College (HCC) is an exciting place to work, learn, and grow! HCC has been awarded the distinction as a "Great College to Work for" since 2009 from The Chronicle of Higher Education.
Howard Community College values diversity among its faculty, staff and student population. We are an innovative institution that is committed to responding to the ever-changing needs and interests of a diverse and dynamic community. No matter where you want to go in your career, you can get there from here!
The Business and Computer Systems Division is recruiting for a grant funded position as a an Administrative Assistant, STEM Talent Challenge Grant.
Operates and implements software using the Microsoft Office Suite to perform advanced word processing for the STEM Talent Challenge Grant Reporting. Works in colleague to input and retrieve college information. Uses the HCC Portal and the Internet. Prioritizes and coordinates advanced and detailed word and data processing assignments and financial requests, while conferring with the Technical Bench Specialist when need arises. Other duties as assigned.
- Performs grant reporting and responds to emails using Microsoft Word, Excel, and Outlook.
- Assists with grant input activities through online applications.
- Handles and tracks grant-related financial transactions.
- Creates and distributes grant activity marketing materials including fliers, applications, etc.
- Resolves Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, and Excel problems.
- Provides basic information about grant activities to students as appropriate.
- Assists with scheduling of meetings for business and computer systems staff.
- Accesses the computer to accurately input and retrieve detailed college information that may pertain to course, student, faculty, staff, or purchase requisitions.
- Upholds accurate file maintenance, statistical reference/cross-checking, prioritizing, and backup.
- Provides general office clerical support to include filing, faxing, laminating, scanning, collating, and bulk mailings.
- Schedules appointments and events with Academic Scheduler.
- Designs and maintains spreadsheets, new forms, administrative documents, tables and databases as directed. Proofs all documents generated and aides in proofreading as needed.
- Assists with the entry of new vendors, collecting the necessary information to get them set up in the system. Creates and monitors a high volume of purchase requisitions and purchase orders in mainframe database for multiple cost centers. Orders material for faculty and staff through vendors listed in the mainframe and tracks the orders through to completion in the system.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- A.A. Degree preferred.
- A minimum of three years of office-related work experience or approved combination of education and experience.
- Ability to produce technical, statistical, and mathematical documents.
- Possesses complete knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite, to include Windows, Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Access.
- Possesses grammar, spelling, formatting, and proofreading skills.
- Possesses a basic knowledge of office procedures and machines (e.g. copier, fax machine, scanner, and multi-line telephone).
- Accurate and fast keyboard skills.
- Continual updating to learn new software packages and equipment.
- Ability to operate within a network environment. Knowledge about the mainframe (colleague) preferred.
- Experience in multi-tasking between visitors, phones, and duties in a busy office is essential. Proven background in providing excellent customer service in fast-paced environment necessary.
- Excellent organizational and time management skills needed.
- Ability to be calm, empathetic, positive, and patient while using effective problem-solving skills.
- Ability to resolve problems within scope of authority and work with minimum supervision.
- Ability to learn and apply office procedures.
- Ability to maintain strict confidentiality.
- Ability to follow oral and written instructions and effectively communicate follow-up questions and next steps.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing, with a varied population of students, faculty, and administrators.
- Regular punctual attendance is a requirement of this job.
- Performs all duties while considering the impact of any actions on the college's sustainability initiatives in the areas of environmental stewardship, social responsibility, and economic prosperity.
Hours Per Week: 15
Work Schedule: TBD
Compensation: $15/hr - The position is funded by the grant through February 28, 2023.
Open Until Filled
Best Consideration: 3/2/2021
*Pre-employment criminal background investigation is a condition of employment.
Howard Community College (HCC) is an Equal Employment Opportunity & Affirmative Action employer & values diversity within its faculty, staff & student population. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, disability or protected veteran status.
HCC understands that persons with specific disabilities may need assistance with the job application process and/or with the interview process. For confidential assistance with the job application process, please contact the Office of Human Resources at 443-518-1100.
Please submit the following:
- Completed Application (Candidates will be evaluated on completing the college's application in full)
- Cover Letter