Benefits and Risk Management Specialist
Howard Community College (HCC) is an exciting place to work, learn, and grow! HCC has been awarded the distinction as a "Great College to Work for" since 2009 from The Chronicle of Higher Education.
Howard Community College values diversity among its faculty, staff and student population. We are an innovative institution that is committed to responding to the ever-changing needs and interests of a diverse and dynamic community. No matter where you want to go in your career, you can get there from here!
HCC is seeking a Benefits and Risk Management Specialist to join the HR and Risk Management teams.
Position performs a variety of professional and administrative management work in the areas of human resources and risk management. Performs human resources duties related to benefits and compliance management, as a member of the human resources team. Provides a variety of professional administrative duties in support of the risk management program in processing workers compensation claims, student-athletic claims, and other types of property damage insurance claims. Participates in the review and revision of existing policies and procedures for designated Benefits and Risk Management Program areas (i.e. sexual assault, sexual harassment, stalking).
- Manage the overall administration of leave programs (FMLA, accrued leave, STD, LTD, life changes, return to work, worker's compensation).
- Advise supervisors and employees on FMLA regulations and procedures; research and answer general and technical questions about the program.
- Ensure HCC compliance with FMLA rules and regulations.
- Coordinate information obtained from doctor with supervisor to synchronize employee's return to work related to light duty or any other work-related restrictions.
- Attend seminars to keep informed of federal laws.
- Manage the overall administration of the Unemployment Benefits Program in compliance with Maryland State Law.
- Primary contact person for follow-up and questions on all unemployment-related issues.
- Review and reconcile unemployment activity analysis and statement of reimbursable benefits paid reports. Research information for unemployment appeals; arrange for witnesses.
- Attend unemployment appeal hearings to testify on behalf of college.
- Act as a back up to the benefits manager.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Manage the overall administration of all workers compensation claims in compliance with Maryland State Law, regulatory and company policies.
- Perform follow-up work on all claims recorded on log (i.e. determination of whether or not it is a recordable case; ensure accuracy of log; calculate final tally of work days missed and restricted/job transfer days for each case).
- Prepare annual end of year OSHA Form 300 Work Related Incident Reports for US Department of Labor. Primary contact person for College Employees, Howard County Risk Management Office, and Corvel Companies for obtaining and conveying detailed information pertaining to both pending and closed workers compensation cases.
- Act as liaison between employees and Risk Management Office/Corvel Companies in processing all claims in timely manner.
- Prepare monthly internal report of workers compensation cases for safety manager.
- Coordinate efforts at each stage of the claim process, including the return to work process related to any compensatory actions which need to be taken for wages loss due to the incident.
- Represent college at workers compensation hearings; research and provide detailed information on workers compensation cases to Risk Management Office; and arrange for witnesses at hearings (if necessary).
- Arrange for workability evaluations from Concentra for employees transitioning back to work after injury; prepare documentation stating physical requirements of job for testing purposes at Concentra.
- Work closely with supervisor and employee in determining appropriate work assignments and modified hours in coordinating with doctor's work restrictions.
- Lead the process for the administration of student athletic claims.
- Coordinate and oversee process for the administration of all student-athletic claims in compliance with HCC policy and procedure.
- Assist in follow-up with NACDA, athletic department, and student-athlete.
- Work closely with and NACDA and injured student to obtain and document details of incident and related primary insurance information.
- Assist in the development and implementation of student-athlete policy and procedure related to student-athlete injuries.
- Assist the auxiliary and capital programs administrator in the research, development and implementation of a policy establishing appropriate reimbursement for out of pocket medical expenses made by students.
- Assist in researching and reconciling insurance issues associated with medical billings.
- Participate in review and revision/updating of safety and health administrative policies and procedures; ensure consistency and accuracy of stated policies within HCC Student Handbook and Class Catalogue. Research update HCC policy and procedure related to changes in OSHA, Title VII, Title IX, and Cleary Act and other designated legislation as required.
- Perform comprehensive review of designated college-wide administrative policies related to risk management policy and procedure (i.e. sexual harassment, emergency operating procedures, stalking, etc.).
- Research and compile a comprehensive list of all insurance coverage's, program details, approved contract language, definitions, policies and procedures.
- Participate in comprehensive review of policies and procedures with emphasis on international program.
- Participate in annual policy renewals including special event policies for service learning trips, athletic team playoffs, special needs, and Fine Arts.
- Assist in performing internal audit of risk management program including policies, coverage's, and associated costs.
- Internal audits will be performed annually with varying programs.
- Participate in benchmarking and collecting statistical data for continuous improvement of risk management program.
- Participate as an active member of the safety committee.
- Assistant in the investigation of safety training programs in conjunction with the safety manager and capital programs administrator. May conduct training as appropriate.
- Participate in risk management professional development such as PRIMA workshops and community colleges risk management affinity group meetings.
- Bachelor's degree in human resources, business management, or related field plus two years of experience in human resources OR Associate degree in human resources, business management, or related field plus four years of experience in human resources is required
- One year administering leave required.
- Professional human resources certification preferred.
- Experience with risk management programs including unemployment, workers compensation, vehicle, and student/athlete insurance preferred.
- Ability to meet constant deadlines and to use analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Skilled in writing clearly and concisely using proper syntax, grammar and spelling. Excellent proofreading skills.
- Excellent skill in Micro Office suite of software.
- Windows environment. Ability to learn new software applications as necessary for job function.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing, in a diplomatic but assertive manner.
- Ability to interact effectively with others to determine needs and resolve conflicts.
- Ability to use initiative to locate and resolve problems.
- Regular attendance is a requirement of this job.
- Ability to maintain strict confidentiality and adhere to the office of human resources code of ethics
- Performs all duties while considering the impact of any actions on the college's sustainability initiatives in the areas of environmental stewardship, social responsibility, and economic prosperity.
Hours Per Week: 37.5
Work Schedule: Monday - Friday, 8:30am - 5:00pm
Compensation: $55,191 plus excellent medical & dental, tuition reimbursement and paid leave
Open Until Filled
Best Consideration: March 3, 2021
*Pre-employment criminal background investigation is a condition of employment.
As a participating member of the Maryland Retirement and Pension System, HCC offers two retirement options: The Pension, which requires a 7% employee contribution and The ORP, a 403(b) with a 7.25% employer contribution only. Employees in positions that do not require a bachelor's degree must participate in The Pension. Employees that possess a bachelor's degree and hold professional positions that require a bachelor's degree may choose to participate in either The Pension or The ORP.
Howard Community College (HCC) is an Equal Employment Opportunity & Affirmative Action employer & values diversity within its faculty, staff & student population. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, disability or protected veteran status.
HCC understands that persons with specific disabilities may need assistance with the job application process and/or with the interview process. For confidential assistance with the job application process, please contact the Office of Human Resources at 443-518-1100.
Please submit the following:
- Completed Application (Candidates will be evaluated on completing the college's application in full)
- Cover Letter