Visiting Assistant Professor of Art
The Art and Art History Department at Marymount Manhattan College (MMC) seeks applications for a Visiting Assistant Professor in Art with expertise in the field of Graphic Design to begin Fall 2021 pending final budget approval. The position is a full-time, one-year appointment for 2021-22 with a 4/4 teaching load; it may convert to a tenure-track position depending on institutional need and resource availability.
- An MFA in visual art;
- A record of professional accomplishment in the fields of graphic design, illustration, or other closely related discipline;
- Expertise in the core digital software program, the Adobe Creative Suite, along with an ability to integrate studio practices with aesthetic, historical, social, ethical, and community-based concerns;
- Experience with curriculum development with an emphasis on transdisciplinary and innovative coursework;
- Eligibility to work in the United States.
- Teaching responsibilities (4/4 load) include a range of introductory to advanced courses in graphic design and illustration, including the capstone course, ART 480: Professional Portfolio.
- The ideal candidate will bring demonstrated leadership experience to the Department and be prepared to work collaboratively with other members of the Art and Art History faculty to advance the Department’s pledge to develop and implement recruitment strategies, curriculum, pedagogy, and art production practices that are anti-racist, anti-sexist, and gender- and LGBTQIA+-inclusive.
- Other responsibilities include developing curricular initiatives that prepare students with the professional skills to succeed in the constantly evolving design and media industries, working with the Center for Career Services to identify and develop new opportunities for internships and other placed-based learning (“City Edge”) courses, working to develop opportunities for external funding for Department programs, and forging professional partnerships with creative industries, especially in New York City.
- The faculty member will also: 1) serve as a liaison for all co-teachers and/or adjunct faculty in the area of expertise; 2) hold regular office hours for the ongoing mentoring of students’ creative and professional development; 3) participate in department, divisional, and college-wide meetings, and academic advisement; 4) continue to engage in creative and/or scholarly work.
Potential cross departmental/cross disciplinary collaborations:
The position will cross over two concentrations within the Art major—Illustration and Animation and Graphic Design—while also supporting the students who combine Digital Media with Production/ Communication & Media Arts and Graphic Design, Illustration, and Animation/Art. This work includes overseeing the pending Interactive Media minor that links Art to Communication & Media Arts, and forging future collaborations in a range of fields that combine text and image, such as the graphic novel, creative writing/illustration, agitprop, and courses that connect to programs offered through the College’s prison education programs at the Bedford Hills and Taconic Correctional Facilities.
Application Materials and Process:
Candidates should send a cover letter, curriculum vitae, and contact information for three references. We also ask that all candidates submit a personal statement that details how they have worked to promote diversity, equity, and inclusion in their previous positions, and how they would plan to continue to do so at Marymount Manhattan College. This statement might include a candidate’s ability to teach a general education course in Racial and/or Ethnic perspectives. Additional materials may be requested.
Review of applications will begin on 15 March 2021 and will continue until the position is filled. All applications received prior to this date will be given full consideration. All application materials should be sent to: email@example.com.
About MMC’s Art program:
MMC’s Art program offers outstanding professional training, a richly articulated liberal arts curriculum, and the opportunity to enjoy New York City’s unparalleled cultural resources. The Art & Art History Department enrolls approximately 89 BA majors and 60 minors. The curriculum includes a broad range of instruction in artistic mediums; it supplements this education with exposure to a wide range of internships and pre-professional training experiences in the arts. For more information about the Art and Art History programs, see https://www.mmm.edu/departments/art/.
About Marymount Manhattan College:
Marymount Manhattan College (MMC) is an independent, private, dynamic, liberal arts college on the Upper East Side of Manhattan. Faithful to the vision of its founders, the College has a long history of reaching out to diverse populations in need of higher education. The College student body continues to become more diverse as we recruit students from underrepresented groups, including more first-generation-, LGBTQIA+-, and ethnically diverse students from a national pool. Providing a small college experience in the heart of the city, MMC enrolls approximately 2,000 students with an 11:1 student-teacher ratio. We emphasize community-based and hands-on learning. MMC graduates identify themselves as creative changemakers. At Marymount Manhattan College, we fundamentally believe that creating a diverse, equitable, and inclusive community is a goal to be fervently pursued and translated into action. We place importance on culturally competent faculty who demonstrate a commitment to diversity and inclusivity, and who will work towards these values. Applicants from traditionally underrepresented groups are strongly encouraged to apply. For more information about our commitment to diversity, please go to https://www.mmm.edu/offices/presidents-office/diversity-inclusion.
Marymount Manhattan College is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer.
Apply for Visiting Assistant Professor of Art
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly