Sawyer Business School Marketing Director
Suffolk University is a private, urban university located in the heart of downtown Boston. Our college green is the Boston Common and we are steps from dozens of historic sites including the Old State House, Faneuil Hall, City Hall and the Massachusetts State House. We have no real boundaries to our campus—Boston and Suffolk blend together.
Suffolk has been committed to creating an exceptional learning experience since 1906. Our vision is to be recognized as a dynamic institution that fosters engaged learning, rigorous scholarship, innovative thinking, and community collaboration across disciplines. We will ensure that Suffolk graduates are versatile and prepared for modern society and the new world market. We will provide rich curricula, experiential learning opportunities and professional mentoring through increased collaboration with alumni and community partners. We will recruit, mentor, and support a diverse faculty of teacher-scholars who are passionately committed to preparing our students to be leaders in the global community. We will inspire investment in a Suffolk community that is built on ethical, forward-thinking leadership, teamwork, and cooperation.
We compete for the best talent. We are an equal opportunity employer committed to a diverse community. We are actively seeking applicants from groups that might be under-represented because of race/color, gender, religion, real or perceived disability, national origin or LGBTQ status. As part of our commitment we encourage you to complete the demographic portion of the application in addition to submitting your cover letter and resume/CV as it will assist us in targeting our recruitment efforts.Please note that Suffolk University conducts background checks as a condition of employment.
We are also committed to the well-being of our employees. Our terrific benefits package for benefits-eligible positions include, but are not limited to:
- Generous paid time-off programs and commitment to work-life balance
- Tuition free course benefits in the College of Arts and Sciences and in the Sawyer Business School for employees with additional tuition benefits for spouses, domestic partners, and children
- Top-notch well-being care available through Harvard Pilgrim Medical/Delta Dental and a Flexible Spending Account
- Pre-tax commuter benefit
- Employee Assistance Program that provides employees and their family members with initial assessment, referrals and short-term counseling for personal and work challenges
- Discounted home and auto insurance
Suffolk’s Division of Communications, including its Offices of Marketing & Communications and Public Affairs, consists of storytellers, professional strategists, writers, designers, and multimedia producers offering a depth of expertise in various media. We tell the university's story across a range of audiences and media, producing everything from news and feature pieces to long and short-form videos, collateral and advertising, and web and social media content.
Summary of Position:
Reporting to the Associate Vice President of Marketing with a dotted-line relationship to the Dean of the Sawyer Business School, the Sawyer Business School Marketing and Communications Director will play a leadership role in building the Sawyer Business School’s reach and reputation in Boston and beyond. The Marketing and Communications Director will drive efforts to increase the School’s influence within Boston’s business, civic, and public service spheres while elevating its reputation regionally, nationally, and globally. The person in this position will be an enterprising leader, proactively working collaboratively with University enrollment managers, School program directors, communicators, and content producers to drive strategic messaging and cohesive marketing that support the School’s goals and elevate its reputation. This individual will work closely with the Dean of the Sawyer Business School, the Associate Vice President of Marketing, the Vice President of Communications, and other senior administrators to drive strategic priorities and goals. This position will also work closely with the SBS Dean and members of the Communications division to develop and implement comprehensive digital, social media, and print strategies to achieve global brand recognition to advance the visibility and recognition of SBS, its faculty, students, and alumni, as well as to support SBS enrollment.
% of Time Responsibility
60% • Drive comprehensive strategic marketing and communication initiatives from concept to completion that will elevate the School’s reputation, heighten awareness for excellence, and foster alumni engagement and giving.
• Create and lead execution of strategies and roadmaps to achieve rankings success for the Sawyer Business School and specific SBS programs.
• Ensure key messages for SBS that unify and amplify the school’s and the University’s brand narrative are fully integrated across all platforms and engagement channels
25% • Manage a broad range of tools – digital, print, mail, social media, and video – to promote the SBS story regionally, nationally, and internationally.
• In collaboration with Marketing and Communications teams, oversee the development, production, and dissemination of digital and print marketing, including email communications, e-newsletters, event advertisements, promotional materials, videos, content strategy, etc. used for school and program-specific brand building, recruitment, and retention efforts.
• Create communication streams with appropriate content/media for different stakeholder groups, and manage end-to-end planning and delivery.
• Work closely with communicators and content creators to produce, maintain, and update content on the SBS website, social media platforms, and other digital outlets.
10% • Working with the Office of Public Affairs, leverage existing media relationships and cultivate new contacts to distribute content to key publications and platforms.
• Manage all marketing communications aspects of school-based events, including Commencement.
• Promote school and program-specific events through partnerships and creative channels.
5% • Define, drive and measure KPIs for all initiatives.
• Review CRM performance analytics through an internal CRM system to make strategic marketing decisions and optimizations.
• Monitor the competitive landscape and stays current with marketing trends, testing new approaches and adopting best-practice strategies.
• BA or BS in marketing, communications, or related field required; Master’s degree preferred
• Minimum 7-10 years of experience in strategic marketing communications
• Experience in higher education preferred
• Successful track record of planning and rolling out marketing programs and ability to identify and implement scalable process improvements using a data-driven approach
• Proven experience working with digital media, social media, Search Engine Optimization (SEO), and paid search to build brand awareness and recognition
• Demonstrated leadership and management skills
• Strong project management and communication skills
• Proven copywriting and copyediting ability
• Solid knowledge of Google Analytics and marketing automation tools
• Ability to work in a fast-paced, goal-oriented, deadline-driven environment
• Ability to work independently and collaboratively with cross-functional teams
• Creative and strategic application of digital and social media technologies