Office Support Specialist
The primary function of the person holding this position is to assist in the direction of the academic programs (both degree granting and endorsement/certification) and related administrative activities for the Department of Educational Technology, Research and Assessment under the direction of the Department Chair and Program Advisor. This person must maintain contact with Student Services, the Graduate School, Outreach Services, and the Office of Registration and Records. This person must possess, or be able to develop, skills in comprehending the special technical requirements essential in working in a rapidly changing computer and technology environment. This person also has responsibility for handling confidential information and materials, including student academic records. This position utilizes word processing, spreadsheet, data base management, and other computer hardware and software and requires a good knowledge of computer use and applications.
Duties and Responsibilities (generally)
The primary function of the this position is to assist in the direction of the academic programs (both degree granting and endorsement/certification) and related administrative activities for the Department of Educational Technology.
Minimum Required Qualifications for this position
1. High school graduation or equivalent
2. Twelve (12) months of clerical/office support work experience comparable to that performed at the Office Support Associate level of this series or in other positions of comparable responsibility
3. Any one or combination totaling twenty-four (24) months from the following categories:
(a) work experience performing clerical/office support work, including use of computer systems
(b) vocational training that provided a knowledge of generally accepted clerical procedures
© college or university course work in Office Occupations, Business Administration, Business Education, or closely related fields 36 semester hours = twenty-four (24) months
(d) college or university course work in any curriculum 60 semester hours = twenty-four (24) months
Specialty Factors (Additional Required Qualifications)
Education and Experience Preferred
List the knowledge, skills, and abilities critical to the performance of this position.
The person in this position must be able to deal with constant interruptions, last minute deadlines, and telephone inquiries. This position utilizes word processing, spreadsheet, data base management, educational software and other computer hardware and software and requires a troubleshooting level of knowledge of computer use and applications.
8:00 am to 4:30 pm
Commensurate with experience, education, and internal equity; position includes a robust benefits package to eligible applicants
Priority Review Date
Special Instructions to Applicants
- Fully complete the Education and Work History sections of the application. Be specific on your entire work history, including employment dates and duties for all positions held. Applicable part-time work experience will be considered toward qualifying for this position, however, it will be converted to a full-time equivalency to determine combined length of experience.
- If you have education and/or training in excess of what is required, we encourage you to upload your unofficial transcripts.
- After the posting has closed, your submission will be reviewed to determine if you meet the minimum qualifications for the classification, including any specialty factors associated with this particular position.
- Please monitor your e-mail for further information regarding your application. Emails will be generated from email@example.com and CivilServiceTesting@niu.edu. Please add these emails to your address book to ensure timely delivery of any future communication.
- We STRONGLY recommend that contact information used in your online profile be personal use, not professional/work information: personal email address, home address, and phone numbers. The information you provide is used to make contact on search updates, department referrals and interviews, etc. We must be able to relay sensitive and important information in a way that protects your privacy concerning job search activity, now and in the future.
- ALL QUALIFIED CANDIDATES WILL BE SCHEDULED TO COME TO THE NIU DEKALB CAMPUS TO TAKE A STATE UNIVERSITIES CIVIL SERVICE EXAMINATION . At the time of testing, you will be required to present a photo ID. NOTE : If you have previously tested for this classification and wish to rewrite the exam to improve your score and register position, please contact the Civil Service Testing Office by the posting deadline.
- Required documentation noted in the posting such as driver’s license, licensures, or certifications MUST be presented at the time of examination.
- If eligible for Veteran’s Preference Points, DD214/DD215/NGB22/DD256 paperwork reflecting an Honorable Discharge MUST be uploaded to this application in order to receive the maximum eligible points on the Civil Service examination.
- After testing of all qualified applicants has been completed for this position, the names with the top three scores will be referred to the hiring department for interview.
- Click on Office Support Specialist for more information including salary ranges, typical duties, minimum acceptable qualifications, and testing requirements.
- Please click Human Resource Services – Benefits for detailed information about Northern Illinois University’s benefits package.
- Employment is contingent upon your passing a criminal background investigation. You may not begin work until the criminal background investigation results have been received and cleared by Human Resources.
Link to Department Homepage
Educational Technology, Research and Assessment
Standing and sitting
In accordance with applicable statutes and regulations, NIU is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, religion, age, physical and mental disability, marital status, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, political affiliation, or any other factor unrelated to professional qualifications, and will comply with all applicable federal and state statutes, regulations and orders pertaining to nondiscrimination, equal opportunity and affirmative action.
The following person has been designated to handle inquiries regarding the non-discrimination policies:
Ethics and Compliance Officer, Title IX Coordinator
Health Services 230
Is Background Check Required
In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification document form upon hire.
NIU remains committed to ensuring that its recruitment and application procedures include full opportunities for applicants with disabilities. Employment opportunities will not be denied to anyone because of the need to make accommodations for a person’s disability during either the application or interview process. An applicant who believes they require an accommodation to participate in the employment process due to a disability may request that accommodation through the Accommodation Request Form . For further assistance, please contact the office of Affirmative Action, Equal Opportunity and Education ( AAEOE ) at firstname.lastname@example.org .
Clery Act Information
NIU provides information regarding campus security, personal and fire safety, including topics such as: crime prevention, emergency response procedures and crime reporting policies, in addition to crime and fire statistics for the most recent three calendar years. The Annual Security Report containing security and safety information is available at www.safety.niu.edu/clery or by contacting the University Police Department and Public Safety Department at 815-753-9628 to receive a hard copy. The Annual Fire Safety Report is available at www.niu.edu/clery/fire_report.pdf or by contacting the Environmental Health and Safety Department at 815-753-0404 to receive a hard copy.
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- Resume/Curriculum Vitae
- Military Discharge Documents ONLY (DD214/DD215/NGB22/DD256)
- Transcripts (unofficial with official required at hire)