Director, EEO & Affirmative Action Programs
University Code 25341 University Title Director, Legal, Audit and Compliance University Job Family Legal, Audit & Compliance ORP Eligible Yes For more information on ORP, visit: Retirement Plans
Recruitment Pool All Applicants Recruitment Type Job Series Scope of Search Regional Working Title Director, EEO & Affirmative Action Programs Position Number 591730 Is this employee on a H1B Visa? Position Type Staff Job Status Full-Time FLSA Indicator Exempt Employee Group University Employee Department Equity And Access Services Organizational Overview
At VCU, we Make it Real through learning, research, creativity, service and discovery — the hallmarks of the VCU experience. A premier, urban, public research university nationally recognized as one of the best employers for diversity, VCU is a great place to work. It’s a place of opportunity, where your success is supported and your career can thrive. VCU offers employees a generous leave package, career paths for advancement, competitive pay, and an opportunity to do mission-driven work.
Position Primary Purpose and General Responsibilities
Under the direction of the Associate Vice President ( AVP ), IES, the Director, EEO fosters a culture of compliance and oversees policies in the equal opportunity and affirmative action areas, including Title VI, Title VII, E.O. 11246, Section 503, VEVRAA and related OFCCP mandates. They maintain responsibility for developing and implementing the university’s Affirmative Action Plan. The incumbent coalesces stakeholders around EEO /AA issues, and orchestrates responses to audit and reporting requests. Additionally, the Director manages the investigation and resolution of all equal employment-related incidents reported by employees, students and others protected under federal and state laws and regulations. As a member of the Office of Institutional Equity, Effectiveness & Success ( IES ), the Director shall foster a diverse, inclusive, and equitable learning and work environment. The Director provides direct supervision for the Office of Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Programs.
The Office of Institutional Equity, Effectiveness and Success ( IES ) advances VCU’s commitment to fostering a more diverse, inclusive and equitable learning and work environment. From equal opportunity and affirmative action; to transformative success and inclusive excellence; IES delivers impactful and data-informed diversity and inclusion programs and strategies, promoting cultural competence, civil discourse and racial justice.
● Under the direction of the AVP, IES, manages day-to-day unit operations.
● Leads the university’s efforts to comply with federal and local laws, regulations, and agency guidance related to civil rights.
● Plans and implements viable affirmative action programs for the university and monitors policies, programs, and procedures to ensure EEO compliance.
● Leads the operationalization of the University’s Affirmative Action Plan; harnesses the plan to enhance recruitment, retention, and workforce development strategies.
● Provides guidance to IES executive leadership on plans and progress to eliminate and remove barriers to equal employment.
● Proactively explores trends and data that impede or propel equal opportunity and recommend strategies to address issues.
● Assists with the development of policies and programs to attract, retain and promote a diverse workforce for the university.
● Serves as a liaison to and manages audits by the Office of Federal Contract Compliance Program ( OFCCP ).
● Monitors equal opportunity for all staff, faculty, and students.
● Provides guidance with EEO compliance measures as they relate to Women and Minorities, Veterans and Individuals with Disabilities, including Americans with Disabilities ( ADA ) Act, and Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act.
● Provides oversight, and direction over outreach and communications programs, policies, and procedures to ensure compliance pertaining to equal employment opportunity, non-discrimination, harassment, and retaliation under the university policy.
● Leads and participates in stakeholder meetings, counsels, and work groups.
● Triages EEO, Title VI and Title VII cases to Equal Opportunity Investigators and ensures cases progress in a timely manner.
● Serves as the university’s Equal Employment Opportunity Coordinator.
● Develops, facilitates, and monitors university wide training programs, education campaigns and activities related to Equal Employment Opportunities/Affirmative Action ( EEO /AA) laws and regulations.
● Provides guidance, training, and motivational support to investigators.
● Reviews investigations and case management reports.
● Establishes and adapts investigative protocols.
● Oversees required reporting and audit response.
● Conducts high-priority and escalated investigations.
● Ensures compliance with legal and institutional requirements, including those initiated by the state, federal, and accreditation policymakers.
● Collaborates with ADA and Title IX areas to address incidents involving multiple areas.
● Coordinates with the broader IES Office, Human Resources, General Counsel, Colleges, Schools, Law Enforcement and other stakeholders.
● As necessary, recommends and develops new processes, and policies.
Minimum Hiring Standards
● Experience working in and fostering a diverse faculty, staff, and student environment and a commitment to doing so at VCU .
● Excellent interpersonal skills with ability engage diverse populations and exercise excellent judgment with interactions in the university community.
● At least five years of relevant experience, including experience in EEO investigations, employment law, Title VI, Title VII, E.O. 11246, Section 503, VEVRAA and other civil rights.
● Proficiency in effective and legally compliant investigation techniques.
● Knowledge of job-relevant federal and state laws.
● Demonstrated experience establishing and monitoring performance metrics, and with dashboards.
● Professional experience at an institution of higher education.
● The ability to serve as an effective leader.
● Excellent analytical, critical thinking, oral communication, and written communication skills.
● Ability to navigate a fast-paced work environment and challenging work.
● Ability to develop collaborative working relationships and work with and relate to people from all backgrounds and levels of an organization.
● Experience handling high-level, sensitive, and confidential matters and information
● A degree.
● A strong commitment to ethics, to advancing institutional values, and to social justice.
● Ability to work successfully in both an in-person and remote environment.
Preferred Hiring Standards
● Juris Doctorate or Masters in related field.
Required Licenses/ Certifications Anticipated Hiring Range Commensurate with experience Application Process/Additional Information
Applicants are to supply a cover letter, resume/ CV and diversity statement (see below). Applications received within the first two weeks of posting will receive priority consideration.
As a preeminent national, urban, public research university and academic health center, Virginia Commonwealth University is committed to organizational diversity, equity, and inclusion – an environment where all can thrive in their pursuit of excellence. Applicants are requested to submit a Statement of Contributions to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (typically between 150-300 words) providing your career aspirations and contributions toward promoting diversity, equity, and inclusion. Through this statement, you can share how your lived experiences, and academic and professional activities will impact your contribution to VCU’s mission of promoting equity and inclusion. Note: Examples include working with others to further the goals of equity and inclusion; leading in any capacity that tangibly promotes an environment where diversity is welcomed, fostered, and celebrated; creative activity, research, and teaching that promotes equity and parity; advising and mentoring students, and/or initiatives to create a positive and successful organizational experience for traditionally underrepresented staff groups.
Campus Monroe Park Campus Hours/Week 40 Normal Work Days/Hours Monday-Friday Job Open Date 02/12/2021 Posting will close on or before Open Until Filled Yes Job Category Accounting/ Management/ Professional Is this a restricted position? No Is this position eligible to participate in alternative work arrangements? Yes Sensitive Position No Resource Critical Yes Quick Link https://www.vcujobs.com/postings/103573 Posting Specific Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
Optional & Required Documents
- Cover Letter/Letter of Application
- Other Document
More searches like this
- Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Richmond
- Academic Affairs Not specified Full Time jobs in Richmond
- Other Academic Affairs Not specified Full Time jobs in Richmond
- Business & Administrative Affairs Not specified Full Time jobs in Richmond
- Human Resources Administration Not specified Full Time jobs in Richmond