Director of Budget and Fiscal Affairs, Vice Provost for Student Success Administration
The Vice Provost for Student Success Administration invites applications for a Director of Budget and Fiscal Affairs to join their team. This position reports to the Vice Provost of Student Success and the Vice President for Operations & Finance and will be expected to provide leadership and strategic direction for all aspects of financial operations, including financial planning, analysis, and forecasting and identify opportunities and needs related to fiscal functions to develop and implement necessary processes, programs, and budgets.
Responsibilities include, but not limited to:
- Actively collaborate with the Vice Provost for Student Success and VP for Operations & Finance on financial matters of both strategic value and importance to the University as well as to the office of the Vice Provost for Student Success and the units reporting to this office
- Work directly with the Vice Provost for Student Success and functional departments to recommend operational and strategic objectives and identify solutions for execution
- Build and maintain financial data models, reporting systems, dashboard and performance metrics to identify business trends and guide data-driven decision making
- Deliver financial reporting and analysis to the Vice Provost for student success and other campus stakeholders
- Identify potential opportunities and challenges, both short and long term
- Act as central point of contact for the coordination, review and creation of the Division of Student Success annual budget
- Provide financial oversight and support for campus units within the Divisions of Student Success
- Work with unit managers to ensure a consistent approach across all units in the division
- Monitor revenue and expenditures on a monthly basis
- Develop an in-depth understanding of the financial structures of the Division of Student Success and the University as a whole
- Maintain effective processes controls and practices and resolve critical issues
- Serve as a resource for managers and their staff. Advise in the preparation of appropriate position descriptions and recruitment efforts, and serve as a resource for onboarding
- Ensure compliance with Human Resources and collective bargaining policies
- Provide complex analytical support to Operations and Finance for financial planning and program reviews
- Participate in University-wide efforts to establish administrative and financial plans and policies
- Ensure competency of staff through the development and/or presentation of education programs
- Ensure financial compliance with University policies and procedures and applicable legal rules and regulations
- Maintain detailed knowledge of Ellucian Banner, Axiom Finance Hub, Tableau and Access Database to support administration and department users as appropriate
This position is also responsible for providing secondary supervision (dotted line) to all departmental fiscal officers reporting up through the Vice Provost for Student Success.
- Demonstrated ability to organize and coordinate financial information from a variety of sources into a useful end product
- Experience with financial analysis/modeling, strategic planning, and fiscal management of a complex budget with multiple funding sources
- Ability to make effective decision
- Ability to build relationships and interact positively with diverse audiences
- Ability to exercise good judgement, discretion and tact concerning confidential matters
- Knowledge of accounting principles and transactions in a higher education environment
- Experience in strategic human resource planning
- Competency in oral and written communication skills
Minimum Required Education & Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Finance, Accounting, or a related field as well as a minimum of five (5) years of budgetary/financial experience or a combination of education and experience that equates to this skill level
- Progressive experience with transactional activities and oversight responsibilities in a higher education environment
- Experience managing grant funds
- Experience working collaboratively with multiple unit fiscal managers
- Position is full-time, 1.0 FTE, MUS Contract and includes a comprehensive and competitive benefits package including Insurance package, mandatory retirement plan, partial tuition waiver, and wellness program.
- Salary range for this position is $80,000 - $85,000 per year commensurate with qualifications
About the Vice Provost for Student Success Administration and UM
The Division of Student Affairs facilitates student learning by providing high quality programs, services, and developmental opportunities, while fostering an inclusive campus community in support of the educational mission of The University of Montana.
The University of Montana is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and has a student body of approximately 10,000 undergraduates and graduates, including more than 1,500 students of color and more than 900 international students and scholars from more than 70 countries. We encourage applications from minorities, veterans, and women. Qualified candidates may request veterans’ or disability preference in accordance with state law.
To learn more about the University of Montana, Missoula, and the State of Montana, please visit the links below.
Criminal Background Investigation is required prior to the Offer of Employment In accordance with University regulations, finalists for this position will be subject to criminal background investigations. ADA/EOE/AA/Veteran's Preference Reasonable accommodations are provided in the hiring process for persons with disabilities. For example, this material is available in alternative format upon request. As an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer, we encourage applications from minorities, veterans, and women. Qualified candidates may request veterans’ or disabilities preference in accordance with state law. References: References not listed on the application materials may be contacted; notice may be provided to the applicant. Testing: Individual hiring departments at UM may elect to administer pre-employment tests, which are relevant to essential job functions. Employment Eligibility: All New Employees must be eligible and show employment eligibility verification by the first date of employment at UM, as legally required (e.g., Form I-9).
How to Apply
Priority Application Date: Thursday , April 15, 2021 by 11:59 PM (Mountain Time)
Complete applications received by the ‘Priority Application Date’ will be guaranteed consideration. The position will remain open until filled. Candidates are required to submit the following materials online.
A complete application Includes:
- Letter of Interest – addressing your qualifications and experience related to the stated required skills for the position. A general letter salutation such as “Dear Search Committee” or “Dear Hiring Manager” is acceptable.
- Detailed Resume – listing education and describing work experience
- Professional References – names and contact information for three (3) professional references
Job Location Missoula, Montana, United States
Position Type Full-Time/Regular